The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Evander Kane suspended 21 games

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, lmm said:

what is the actual story on this one?

Kane has so many irons in the fire it is hard to keep track.

I didn't see this one coming

Multiple news outlets are now reporting he submitted a fake vaccine card to the NHL.

The California AG has confirmed this is a crime, both at the State and Federal level.

(EDIT: Not that they’ve commented in relation to Kane, just that they’ve been clear that mere possession of a fake vaccine card is a criminal offence.)

Not sure what the punishment is in California. In New York, it’s up to seven years.

And could also be fraudulent use of the seal of a government agency (a federal crime punishable by up to five years imprisonment).

(EDIT: should also make it clear that most State and Federal prosecutions so far are for “big fish” who are forging and selling fake cards, although some others have already been prosecuted for just possession)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/sharks/amp/Evander-Kane-skating-into-career-limbo-as-16536715.php

Scathing article...

Key teammates want to be traded from San Jose if Evander returns to ice with them

Not sure how much "new" is in article BUT local beat guy putting his name to it means alot and it's a good summary

Also, even more bad last conduct than I was aware of

9 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If I were the Sharks I'd be doing everything I could to see if the contract could be terminated, his teammates don't even want him there. 

Strange how the relationship has soured. If I am not mistaken The Sharks really like Evander Kane in his first year with the team, and the feeling was mutual.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Multiple news outlets are now reporting he submitted a fake vaccine card to the NHL.

The California AG has confirmed this is a crime, both at the State and Federal level.

(EDIT: Not that they’ve commented in relation to Kane, just that they’ve been clear that mere possession of a fake vaccine card is a criminal offence.)

Not sure what the punishment is in California. In New York, it’s up to seven years.

And could also be fraudulent use of the seal of a government agency (a federal crime punishable by up to five years imprisonment).

(EDIT: should also make it clear that most State and Federal prosecutions so far are for “big fish” who are forging and selling fake cards, although some others have already been prosecuted for just possession)

I mean he's a star athlete, he's probably not going to serve any jail time. At worst he will get a hefty fine and maybe some community service or probation. 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Strange how the relationship has soured. If I am not mistaken The Sharks really like Evander Kane in his first year with the team, and the feeling was mutual.

Yeah they were in their honeymoon phase, so much so that he signed a big extension soon after being traded there.  

I don't get it, we get to see and hear the worst about Kane.  Somewhere deep down I want to believe is a good guy that's just had bad people around him.  I don't know Kane but his skillset is extremely unique in the league.  

Nobody else can go toe to toe with Reaves and then score 30 goals.  He would be a perfect add for our team if we didn't run the risk of him souring some of our young players.  

Sharks are turning out to be one of the worst managed teams at the moment.  Look at their page on capfriendly, just a horror show.  

Just adding up the numbers that are committed to 5 players that are all 30 years or older, I'm seeing over 200 million dollars still on the books in the future.  

Logan Couture 6 years x 8 million left (I'm including this year for everyone as it just started) 

Evander Kane 4 years x 7 million 

Karlsson 6 years x 11.5 million 

Burns 4 years x 8 million 

Vlasic 5 years x 7 million 

This is just mind-boggling. 

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He scored 30 goals his first full season for em, I imagine both sides probably were happy. He was having success and they were getting what they wanted out of him. Thing is, teams don't want people rocking the boat and becoming a distraction, and he definitely wore out his welcome in Winnipeg.

He's drawn too much heat, maybe he's got a challenging personality as a teammate too? If his relationship with the Sharks has changed it's a fair bet he's shot himself in the foot to an extent. It's a shame, because he can clearly be an effective player.

52 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I mean he's a star athlete, he's probably not going to serve any jail time. At worst he will get a hefty fine and maybe some community service or probation. 

Yeah, most likely. But hopefully he’s charged anyway and they make something of an example of him. It’s a pretty ****** thing to do, especially to his teammates and fellow players, never mind the message it sends. He deserves a criminal charge, in addition to the financial hit.

I’d add that the fact he clearly did the fake vaccine card thing makes me all the more suspicious he’s actually guilty of the other accusations (assault and gambling) that they haven’t been able to prove. He’s obviously willing to lie, so he’s lost any benefit of the doubt or “innocent until proven guilty” status, for me. 

(Just a personal opinion. I still believe in the law, and evidence, but I just feel like his character is trash and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done everything else he’s accused of, but been “cleared” of, because of the standard of proof required.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I don't get it, we get to see and hear the worst about Kane.  Somewhere deep down I want to believe is a good guy that's just had bad people around him.  I don't know Kane but his skillset is extremely unique in the league.  

After a certain point when its issue after issue after issue, you have to start thinking its the person themselves. Its been nonstop issues with Kane since he entered the league.

Nobody else can go toe to toe with Reaves and then score 30 goals.  He would be a perfect add for our team if we didn't run the risk of him souring some of our young players.  

No. He simply isn't worth the detriment he brings to the team. I still think people want to see him here for no other reason than he's a local guy. People have a weird obsession with wanting to see BC boys on the Canucks, even if they're paid 15 million a year, score 0 points and come with serious baggage. Its the same reason Virtanen got so many chances, its the same reason you can go into proposal forums and see people making ridiculous hypotheticals like EP40 and Hughes at 50% retained plus a first for Jamie Benn.

I'm not saying Kane is beyond redemption, I'm not saying I want to see his career end, I'm not even saying he's guilty of anything. But, with the pattern of consistent problems we've seen from Kane, I don't want him anywhere near the Canucks.

Edited by McBackup

Several years ago I was working at a liquor store, and a group of young guys came in. One of them looked exactly like Evander Kane, I would have sworn it was him until I looked at their IDs, and his had a different name. You were required to ask for two pieces of ID from anyone looking under 30, and when I asked him for something else with his name on it he started getting really aggressive and saying a bunch of racist crap. Anyway for the longest time I thought it was just a guy that looked like him, but now that he's alleged to have faked government documents here, I kind of wonder if it actually was him and he had a fake ID just because he seems to have a penchant for doing bizarre stuff. Obviously I can never know, but after this story I'm not so sure.

• Vintage 1

This guy loves to shoot himself in the foot, doesn't he?  Faking a vax card shows a lack of respect for his teammates (no wonder they want him gone).  What makes him so special that he can bypass a system in place to keep others safe and the team from losing games to COVID?  He appears to have a bit of a narcissistic personality and needs to take time away to fix that.  It shows that some who really have it all (in terms of money/success) don't always have it all...together.  He needs to step away and work on self because right now he's seemingly trying to scam his way through life and that catches up real quick.  House of cards is falling and this is a serious cry for help here.

The pictures of him flashing cash highlight a guy who's really caught up in a game that's bigger than he is.   It's getting away from him, fast and only he can reel it back in.  I hope he does...he had a promising career and it'd be a shame for him to blow it because of greed and ego.  If you have it all there's really no need to want more.

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sharks are turning out to be one of the worst managed teams at the moment.  Look at their page on capfriendly, just a horror show.  

Just adding up the numbers that are committed to 5 players that are all 30 years or older, I'm seeing over 200 million dollars still on the books in the future.  

Logan Couture 6 years x 8 million left (I'm including this year for everyone as it just started) 

Evander Kane 4 years x 7 million 

Karlsson 6 years x 11.5 million 

Burns 4 years x 8 million 

Vlasic 5 years x 7 million 

This is just mind-boggling. 

Wow, and these so-called Canuck fans chide Benning for retaining OEL and his contract.

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

Several years ago I was working at a liquor store, and a group of young guys came in. One of them looked exactly like Evander Kane, I would have sworn it was him until I looked at their IDs, and his had a different name. You were required to ask for two pieces of ID from anyone looking under 30, and when I asked him for something else with his name on it he started getting really aggressive and saying a bunch of racist crap. Anyway for the longest time I thought it was just a guy that looked like him, but now that he's alleged to have faked government documents here, I kind of wonder if it actually was him and he had a fake ID just because he seems to have a penchant for doing bizarre stuff. Obviously I can never know, but after this story I'm not so sure.

I mean if it was him ... having fake Id's to buy alcohol is probably something most underage kids do :lol:

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I mean he's a star athlete, he's probably not going to serve any jail time.

HE was a star in the lowest tier of major sports states side, that won't get him much, if any, slack.

In fact he is probably the perfect level of "celebrity" to get a very stern penalty; as an example to all the football, baseball and especially the NBA, players.

Some people have to hit bottom, before they can re grow.

• Vintage 1

that article suggests that SJ requires Kane to be charged with a felony to void the contract..........

earlier articles suggested that SJ voided the contract would be in BOTH SJ's and Kane's interest..... San Jose motivation is obvious.. but in EK's case, if he no longer has contract then creditors can't take $2M a year (hypothetical number) from that contract (don't forget that EK would pay taxes on that contract). if (impossible scenario) EK could then sign a very lucrative contract, apparently they couldn't seize money from that provided the whole thing was structured certain ways (timing of new deal would probably be key....... and I wonder if judge has power to frustrate a scheme like that).

anyway..... who is going to sign EK if his existing contract is null/void? I'm thinking zero % chance he gets a deal in the NHL....... Russia maybe, but I'm thinking that's an accident waiting to happen. racist Russian fans (not all of them. very significant %) and African-Canadian player who happens to be a complete tool