The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] RHD Fixed

HKSR

Seems to be the whipping boy flavour of the month, so here goes...

Once our injured boys Boeser, Sutter and Motte return...

To VAN:

Matt Dumba

To MIN:
JT Miller

Jett Woo

Cap hits are pretty close (750k difference).  JT Miller is 1 year older.  Both of their contracts expire at the same time.  This is a true hockey trade.

Hogs-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Podz

Dickinson-Lammikko-Highmore

Chiasson

Hughes-Dumba

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Still tons of depth up front, and the defence Top-4 looks fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

Agreed, he's not the best defensively. The last thing we need is an undersized puck moving defenceman who's average at best defensively. Don't get me wrong, he's not bad in his own zone but he's not a big penalty killer and far from a big tough guy.

We basically need a younger version of Tanev sadly or pretty much one of the many Islanders/Hurricanes-type defencemen.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Matt Dumba

To MIN:
JT Miller

Jett Woo

Cap hits are pretty close (750k difference).  JT Miller is 1 year older.  Both of their contracts expire at the same time.  This is a true hockey trade.

Hogs-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Podz

Chiasson

Hughes-Dumba

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

I think that’s an overpayment, but I also believe that Hamonic will still be a part of the Canucks team this year. Until his situation is settled, we shouldn’t make any extreme moves, especially not weakening our offense.

Patience right now, I think is what we need.

Even though we lost to Detroit, we badly outplayed them for the last 30 minutes, we just hit a hot goalie.

Defensively, we’ve actually looked pretty good!

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Matt Dumba

To MIN:
JT Miller

Jett Woo

Hogs-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Podz

Chiasson

Hughes-Dumba

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

agree that Canucks need a top 4 RHD. Question is : How do they get one? I think the  best way to get this done is to trade away next years first round pick + x to get one top 4 RHD . I wouldn't trade away JT Miller. Canucks are in a win now mode - JT Miller is  arguably the best top 6 winger.  Next question is: what team is willing to trade away one of their top 4 RHD?

Myers + Poolman were added in free agency. I am wondering if there is a chance to get a top 4 RHD in next years free agency. Free agency would be smart, because Canucks wouldn't have to give up an asset. Cap space is obviously the limitating factor here.

Dumba is an offensive D that plays with Brodin who has been an elite defensive D the past few seasons and can cover for his defensive lapses.  Hughes-Dumba doesn't feel like a pairing that would work.

Minnesota is also not looking to trade Dumba.  They bought Sutter out in part so that they could protect Dumba in expansion.  They also just named him assistant captain.   The Wild only have 3 players in their leadership group and he is one of them.  Pretty strong signal that they don't see him going anywhere for now.  

That trade would also weaken their D-corps.   Don't see either team being interested.  Miller is also one of Green's most trusted player.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

I think we need a quiet, defensive D, preferably with some size much more than we need a Matt Dumba.  There could be a few really good options in UFA this year, depending on who gets signed by their teams.  Josh manson could be a really nice fit, but he would be very pricey despite a few down years..

• Cheers 2

I hope the situation with Hamonic can be resolved prior to next off season.

It would be good to know if we can either rely on Hamonic next season or whether we need to find a replacement in the off season. Obvious RHD UFA options may include:

Manson

Klingberg

Schultz

Miller

Zadorov

Nutivaara

Bortuzzo

Rutta

Most of these guys we could get for around the same cap hit as Hamonic ($3M), but to be able to afford someone like Klingberg or Manson we probably have to move Pearson too.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Matt Dumba

To MIN:
JT Miller

Jett Woo

Hogs-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Podz

Chiasson

Hughes-Dumba

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

Nicely thought out idea.   

I'd probably still pass on this for the following reasons:

1) JT Miller means too much for this Canucks team.  Lockerroom leader, can play all three forward positions, can either take pressure off Petey on the top line, or can center an entirely different line, etc.

2) On right side D, the Canucks need a top pairing guy that is more defensively inclined. Perhaps I'm wrong, but Dumba is more of an offensive-defenseman.  

For our right side D, I'd seriously kick the tires on AZ's Conor Timmins.  Age wise, he fits in much more with our current core.  

As far as the cap goes, I'd look at moving Hamonic within these new few months to shed cap space, and I'd also explore the idea of packaging Rathbone and Myers at some point to clear more cap.  Rathbone, an offensive defenseman on the left side, likely won't have much of a future here with OEL and Hughes being here for the next 6 years.  Moving Myers would also allow the Canucks to clear some significant cap space which would ultimately allow them to keep more valuable assets such as Boeser, Miller, Horvat, etc.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Dumba is an offensive D that plays with Brodin who has been an elite defensive D the past few seasons and can cover for his defensive lapses.  Hughes-Dumba doesn't feel like a pairing that would work.

Minnesota is also not looking to trade Dumba.  They bought Sutter out in part so that they could protect Dumba in expansion.  They also just named him assistant captain.   The Wild only have 3 players in their leadership group and he is one of them.  Pretty strong signal that they don't see him going anywhere for now.  

That trade would also weaken their D-corps.   Don't see either team being interested.  Miller is also one of Green's most trusted player.  

@mll - what do you think about the Canucks attempting to pursue Conor Timmins out of Arizona?   Think Arizona would be down for that?  

21 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

@mll - what do you think about the Canucks attempting to pursue Conor Timmins out of Arizona?   Think Arizona would be down for that?  

Arizona likely sees him as part of their future.  Colorado was rather desperate to get a starting goalie after they failed to re-sign Grubauer - their window is now.   Arizona could have probably asked for another draft pick instead of Timmins. 

With how poorly they are doing and management deliberately tanking the roster who knows if some players won't ask out though. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:54 AM, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Matt Dumba

To MIN:
JT Miller

Jett Woo

Hogs-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Podz

Chiasson

Hughes-Dumba

OEL-Myers

Rathbone-Poolman

Schenn

This team is in need of much more then a fix.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:11 PM, King Heffy said:

Dumba isn't great in his own end at all.  I'd rather let Woo get some games than give up assets for a defenseman who struggles defensively.

Believe he's overrated too, we don't need another small PMD ... when we played them in the bubble,  Soucy was the guy that i noticed the most, because every shift he was pounding away at our forwards, and seemed to always be a pain in our arsh.    Not that he would have fixed our RHD issues on his own. 

Manson keeps coming up for a reason, he'd be a good sign and trade.   Tanev would have been great too lol.    Hamonic back is more or less a requirement for the team's fortunes this year, especially if we lose Myers or even Poolman. 

On 10/19/2021 at 3:46 PM, Patel Bure said:

Nicely thought out idea.   

I'd probably still pass on this for the following reasons:

1) JT Miller means too much for this Canucks team.  Lockerroom leader, can play all three forward positions, can either take pressure off Petey on the top line, or can center an entirely different line, etc.

2) On right side D, the Canucks need a top pairing guy that is more defensively inclined. Perhaps I'm wrong, but Dumba is more of an offensive-defenseman.  

For our right side D, I'd seriously kick the tires on AZ's Conor Timmins.  Age wise, he fits in much more with our current core.  

As far as the cap goes, I'd look at moving Hamonic within these new few months to shed cap space, and I'd also explore the idea of packaging Rathbone and Myers at some point to clear more cap.  Rathbone, an offensive defenseman on the left side, likely won't have much of a future here with OEL and Hughes being here for the next 6 years.  Moving Myers would also allow the Canucks to clear some significant cap space which would ultimately allow them to keep more valuable assets such as Boeser, Miller, Horvat, etc.

Moving Myers clears cap, but who replaces Myers lol?   We won't find that in free agency easily, not at his cap hit and term left.   Edler was making the same amount of money and lost a step his contract, noticeably slowed down.   Two-way RHD giants aren't easy to find.   Most 6'5 plus guys are like Gudbranson, and even he's still around.     I'd rather have Myers for three more seasons, then Trouba 8 x 8, he's lost his spot already.    Funny how every year we obsess over other teams good fortunes that have the good coveted top four RHDs ... but the only one we have has regularly been part of some sort of cap savings dealio on this forum.  

Said it before and will say it again we need more guys like him, not less - and he's not overpaid, if anything he took a year less salary and up to one million less to come here.  7 x 7 was been thrown around (by the talking heads), it was only him and LHD Gardiner available that off season.   Bad market for high end or top four d's, we finally caught a break.   We kind of did with Hamonic too last year and again this off season, it's sucks he's not playing as we could have used him the last four games.   Getting paid like a bottom pairing 7/8th last year, and this one and the next like a 5/6 bottom pairing vet...good value when he's on the ice anyways.   Hope he didn't just hi-jack our season. 

If Myers is traded, it would have to be an upgrade, and likely need to trade a guy like Hogs to make it interesting for another team, and that player would likely have to want out as well - plus want to come here.  Just doubt that will happen.   Actually hoping we can retain his services at a lower cap hit once he's done, it won't be hard to do given his Kelowna connection.    Will be around the same age as Edler was his last contract with us.     Maybe we could kick tires on Trouba, i'm sure NYR would prefer Myers and Hogs lol...but that would simply suck for us. 

Edit:  Just for perspective, that 2010-2012 team had a fair number of vets, including Ballard, who made a similar cap percentage as Myers is now.    4.5 is the same as 6 these days, and Ballard was our 7th D.   I don't mind at all spending more cap on our D core.    It appears that spending 24 on your top four isn't too out of line these days.   Agree absolutely, we need a Hamonic upgrade, if we didn't have the Luongo BS, we could of had that for years now. 

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, mll said:

Arizona likely sees him as part of their future.  Colorado was rather desperate to get a starting goalie after they failed to re-sign Grubauer - their window is now.   Arizona could have probably asked for another draft pick instead of Timmins. 

With how poorly they are doing and management deliberately tanking the roster who knows if some players won't ask out though. 

The league sure wants to keep egg of their face and keep the team... bad for business really considering there is a hockey mad market in Quebec with what was a state of their art arena that's now been collecting dust for a decade, plus both a province and a massive media giant willing to back the Nordiques return.    Think that Blackberry fool muddied the waters for them and they lost their window...plus for sure Bettman would rather find another non hockey market with several million people in the US to try before going with another WNP sized one.    ARI just seems to hang on somehow.   

On 10/21/2021 at 1:27 AM, IBatch said:

Moving Myers clears cap, but who replaces Myers lol?   We won't find that in free agency easily, not at his cap hit and term left.   Edler was making the same amount of money and lost a step his contract, noticeably slowed down.   Two-way RHD giants aren't easy to find.   Most 6'5 plus guys are like Gudbranson, and even he's still around.     I'd rather have Myers for three more seasons, then Trouba 8 x 8, he's lost his spot already.    Funny how every year we obsess over other teams good fortunes that have the good coveted top four RHDs ... but the only one we have has regularly been part of some sort of cap savings dealio on this forum.  

Said it before and will say it again we need more guys like him, not less - and he's not overpaid, if anything he took a year less salary and up to one million less to come here.  7 x 7 was been thrown around (by the talking heads), it was only him and LHD Gardiner available that off season.   Bad market for high end or top four d's, we finally caught a break.   We kind of did with Hamonic too last year and again this off season, it's sucks he's not playing as we could have used him the last four games.   Getting paid like a bottom pairing 7/8th last year, and this one and the next like a 5/6 bottom pairing vet...good value when he's on the ice anyways.   Hope he didn't just hi-jack our season. 

If Myers is traded, it would have to be an upgrade, and likely need to trade a guy like Hogs to make it interesting for another team, and that player would likely have to want out as well - plus want to come here.  Just doubt that will happen.   Actually hoping we can retain his services at a lower cap hit once he's done, it won't be hard to do given his Kelowna connection.    Will be around the same age as Edler was his last contract with us.     Maybe we could kick tires on Trouba, i'm sure NYR would prefer Myers and Hogs lol...but that would simply suck for us. 

Edit:  Just for perspective, that 2010-2012 team had a fair number of vets, including Ballard, who made a similar cap percentage as Myers is now.    4.5 is the same as 6 these days, and Ballard was our 7th D.   I don't mind at all spending more cap on our D core.    It appears that spending 24 on your top four isn't too out of line these days.   Agree absolutely, we need a Hamonic upgrade, if we didn't have the Luongo BS, we could of had that for years now. 

Gillis had two free reset buttons (buyouts with no cap consequences), an option Benning never had.  Enables GM to take more risk on contracts (assuming you have an owner like ours who isn't afraid to spend money).