The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Sad news.

Starting to really dislike the way Canucks talk about injuries though.

Seems they  miss in the duration that people are going to be out. Couple of days  seems to mean couple of weeks and a couple of weeks is apparently a month or two.

But you know the reason they, and all NHL teams, keep it vague regarding injuries. 

If your Brad Merchant and knew Brock or Peteys  wrist was hurtin, you know where your stick would be every chance

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, tas said:

why are you trying so hard to avoid telling me which site to use?

and starting a website and collecting ad revenue doesn't make a person a "paid professional". hell, if you think it does, I'll make myself a "paid professional" in half an hour and demand that you kowtow to my expertise.  

Natural Stat Trick is probably the most used site, but I also like HockeyViz for the visuals they provide.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You can find whichever site has a methodology for compiling advanced stats that you agree with. There are dozens of them. If you don’t know of any of them then you have clearly never looked at any advanced stats enough to have your opinion that they are garbage be taken seriously.

I certainly understand the need for people here to immediately dismiss anything that shows what this team actually has played like for many years (if you are wondering, it’s been perimeter, ineffective play offensively far too often and static, passive defense, which is why they have been a bottom feeder team so long). And how ineffective their coach has been to adjust to improve anything. They are playing the exact same garbage systems they have for years.

The fact that many of these people end up getting hired by nhl teams for the work they do would seem to refute your theory they are all hacks. 

Are you employed by an NHL team? I am assuming and certainly hoping not since you don’t even understand the difference between a high danger shot and a perimeter shot into the crest in terms of which one actually makes a team dangerous offensively.

they also get fired by NHL teams right quick (see: thomas drance).

I've seen lots of sites run by amateurs, but as far as I know, all the paid professionals who work for NHL teams don't share their proprietary info. that's why I asked you, you seemed to be in the know about where to find the primo, official, professional stats. 

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Not everything's so cut and dry....his situation may have been a "wait and see" with hopes it would improve.  We don't know.  The fact that some are pointing fingers of blame and using this to further their agendas is sad (or..."not a good look").  They're (the team is) doing the right thing overall...they're trying to support (and protect) their player and it's none of our business.  It's an internal personnel matter.  He could be in a fragile state and you don't push people at that point, you work with them and try to help them.  This is a business but there's also a human element to it.

But sure, let's be concerned about how this looks rather than focusing on the fact that we don't even really KNOW how it looks from the inside.

You can support the person without having it negatively impact the team. 

I think many people misunderstand my point.

Its possible to support the player AND support the team at the same time. It doesn’t have to be a choice. And it shouldn’t be. Don’t want to play? Let’s talk contract when you do.

It was clearly sprung on Benning at the last minute which actually strikes me as Hamonic not being fair to the team after signing a shiny new 2 year contract. 

Supporting the player is important but so is supporting the team.

How many more years losing do you think guys like EP, Hughes, Horvat, and Miller are going to want to stick around for? Is being supportive of Hamonic to the point of waiting for him to maybe decide he wants to play and not being able to improve the team in the meantime worth losing one or all of them because the team still isn’t deep enough to compete for yet another year?

Look at the cracks already developing. Petey is playing like he doesn’t give a &^@#. Has he won a puck battle yet? Has he actually even bothered engaging in a puck battle? Miller is slamming his stick 20 times a game now. Horvat has turned into Head in the sand Henrik Sedin when it comes to accountability. It’s all excuses and empty talk.

I hope Hamonic sorts out whatever is going on. And I also hope the team supports him in doing so. I can also at the same time hope the team moves on from him and finds a replacement before they waste another season.

Hamonic has a clear history of being a bit of a diva. No one here will likely admit it but there are lots of examples of his me first behaviour in his career. And being me first is fine. I just don’t think he is more important than the team.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its possible to support the player AND support the team at the same time. It doesn’t have to be a choice. And it shouldn’t be. Don’t want to play? Let’s talk contract when you do.

It was clearly sprung on Benning at the last minute which actually strikes me as Hamonic not being fair to the team after signing a shiny new 2 year contract. 

How many more years losing do you think guys like EP, Hughes, Horvat, and Miller are going to want to stick around for? Is being supportive of Hamonic to the point of waiting for him to maybe decide he wants to play and not being able to improve the team in the meantime worth losing one or all of them because the team still isn’t deep enough to compete for yet another year?

Look at the cracks already developing. Petey is playing like he doesn’t give a &^@#. Has he won a puck battle yet? Has he actually even bothered engaging in a puck battle? Miller is slamming his stick 20 times a game now. Horvat has turned into Head in the sand Henrik Sedin when it comes to accountability. It’s all excuses and empty talk.

I hope Hamonic sorts out whatever is going on. And I also hope the team supports him in doing so. I can also at the same time hope the team moves on from him and finds a replacement before they waste another season.

Hamonic has a clear history of being a bit of a diva. No one here will likely admit it but there are lots of examples of his me first behaviour in his career. And being me first is fine. I just don’t think he is more important than the team.

you know, it's time to cut my losses. I'm sick of reading this utter trash. you get to be the sole occupant of my ignore list. 

It’s sad that people are unable to admit this team ever has any faults. It’s always someone else’s fault when they $&!# the bed. The refs, the league, circumstances beyond their control (that usually every other team has to face and manages to make it through), etc.

The reality is that even the coach and new players to the team are saying they don’t have this magic culture of hard work and commitment that many on here give Benning (and Green) credit for that has actually never materialized under his tenure.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

With all the turnover in personnel, I was expecting the team to take some time to find chemistry (which, IMHO, has been evident in the first few games), but the game last night was definitely a bit disconcerting with the lack of urgency in their game.  They were so-so in the 1st but then the wheels fell off.  Lack of urgency has been a theme with the team over the years even if they have had spurts where that's been OK.  I get the mantra of trusting in the process but the team really needs to step up its sense of urgency from puck drop every single game.

I think Dickinson in his comments the other day, was revealing that the team recognizes that they haven't been good enough, hence the hard skate/practice from Green. I hope they bring their game tonight against the Hawks. if they go home 1-2-1, it's not the end of the world, but it's concerning, even if it is 5 games into the season. They need to be better. What happened to that revenge tour? haha 

49 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s sad that people are unable to admit this team ever has any faults. It’s always someone else’s fault when they $&!# the bed. The refs, the league, circumstances beyond their control (that usually every other team has to face and manages to make it through), etc.

The reality is that even the coach and new players to the team are saying they don’t have this magic culture of hard work and commitment that many on here give Benning (and Green) credit for that has actually never materialized under his tenure.

The culture of hard work and commitment is something that is concerning as well. You would think that culture would have been established 7 years into Benning's tenure. If that culture isn't there currently, then what kind of culture has been in place the last 7/8 years? 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I get that the organization wants to help Hamonic, but this is a business too, and it's a cut throat business more often than not. I'm sorry to say but if Hamonic can't sort out his problems and what not eventually, then Benning needs to man up and cut his losses. The Canucks aren't a charity organization. This is a business. If Benning can't lead, then find someone who can - that, in my opinion, is on Francesco to do, since you know, he's the owner. 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Dickinson in his comments the other day, was revealing that the team recognizes that they haven't been good enough, hence the hard skate/practice from Green. I hope they bring their game tonight against the Hawks. if they go home 1-2-1, it's not the end of the world, but it's concerning, even if it is 5 games into the season. They need to be better. What happened to that revenge tour? haha 

Here is the thing for me though. They may rebound against Chicago or even string together some good games. Their problem for 7 years has been consistently maintaining that minimum level of hard work and commitment. All teams have bad games or bad stretches. That doesn’t concern me much. It’s that inconsistency of effort from game to game and even period to period a lot of the time.

Last game is a good example. Pearson stood out to me for it. He was moving his feet, was playing great at both ends, and was engaged. It resulted in a nice goal. Then he stopped skating, stopped engaging, and ended up taking a bad penalty. Almost every player on the team has that type of in game inconsistency far too often. 

They aren’t robots and I get that. But they often look like ok I have done enough this game now I will sit back and coast. That goes for Green too. He seems content with one or two good periods per game.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

To me, having to bag skate his team 5 games into the season is, at least for me, far more a reflection on Green’s inability to enact that culture of hard work and accountability that he preaches about to the media every day than it is a reflection of the players.

I have to wonder if the poor start isn't more a case of how pre-season was used to give a group of supporting cast a chance to showcase themselves (most of whom are.gone) instead of trying to get famiarity and chemistry with all the new faces Benning brought in this off season.  Knowing the season started with a long road trip with limited practicing opportunity, getting the known starters more time to work together should have been the priority. Players themselves have said they are still getting used to the tendencies of all the new players.  That should have been dealt with pre-season. 

• Like 1

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

I have to wonder if the poor start isn't more a case of how pre-season was used to give a group of supporting cast a chance to showcase themselves (most of whom are.gone) instead of trying to get famiarity and chemistry with all the new faces Benning brought in this off season.  Knowing the season started with a long road trip with limited practicing opportunity, getting the known starters more time to work together should have been the priority. Players themselves have said they are still getting used to the tendencies of all the new players.  That should have been dealt with pre-season. 

How the preseason was handled was a joke. It was, like many things with Benning and Green, lip service and smoke and mirrors to try to convince people of that people actually have to earn their job on the team.

The players kept could have been guessed right from the start. Green should have used those games to try different combos in the top 6. His stubborn insistence at keeping certain players together no matter what is becoming a real opportunity cost to success for this team.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

The culture of hard work and commitment is something that is concerning as well. You would think that culture would have been established 7 years into Benning's tenure. If that culture isn't there currently, then what kind of culture has been in place the last 7/8 years? 

This was my concern as well when the whole "who is going to be the next Captain after Hank retires" debate. The Culture is no different since the Sedins, and Nazzy before that, and we have never identified the true identity of the team. Is this team Bo's or just a continuation of Hank and Nazzy before him?

The team really needs some kind of "shake up" and the only logical step is the Coach but as we seen when Torts was brought in, that never worked, the team just stopped playing for him. Maybe this is what we are seeing with Green as well.

I think the players really need to take responsibility and show this through action. This is what Linden did and I have not seen that accountability since. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, tas said:

maybe, I guess we'll see. my money is on burroughs going back in when quinn is healthy. 

21 hours ago, mll said:

Maybe already vs Chicago.  Vancouver is coming off a pretty poor performance and maybe they re-assess and see Burroughs as the better option.  

I guess we were both right? ;)