The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Fire Green; Hire Claude Julien

26 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Green should be fired, but it should have happened last season when decent coaches were available.

Julien is too old... and has lost it.  Not a good idea to hire him.

Need a coach who is still young enough to adapt.

Edmonton made the perfect choice in signing Tippet... he really turned around that team.

I think my vote would go for Lane Lambert. He’s worked with Barry Trotz quite extensively in multiple organizations, and Trotz himself has stated that Lambert deserves an NHL gig.  

But yeah - I think Gerard Gallant would have been a great fit........although I’m not really sure why both Florida and Vegas let him go despite his huge success.  That could be a hidden red flag right there.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No to Julien.  Shaw most likely takes over in the next month or so when Aquilini has had enough.  It's gonna cost him money but at least we have a ready made replacement who's already on the payroll.

For the future, I can see a guy like Dale Hunter.  Babcock has had his day and will cost too much anyways.  Gallant or Quenneville would have been perfect.  Their teams are both playoff bound and playing good hockey.  Not sure what dirty laundry Green had on Aquilini to get his contract extended.  Maybe Aqua just didn't wanna spend the money during a pandemic for a better coach.  But then we spent to the cap for all of these new players and are paying Petey and Huggy record setting contracts for the organization, so I think it was short sighted to try and save a few pennies on the coach.

Yeah just bad timing for all. I've been vouching for Gallant for a while now but he's taken.

He did pretty great for all the teams he coached.

Would Shaw be any better than Green? Not sure how I feel about making a change for the sake of making a change.

For all we know he's another wildcard that's never coached in the league before.

If you're going to make a change, do it for someone that you actually have full-confidence in and believe can actually elevate your young players.

We've already had our dance with these "unknown" noob coaches for nearly 8 years now. 

It'd be nice to have someone with some levels of experience at the NHL level.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I think my vote would go for Lane Lambert. He’s worked with Barry Trotz quite extensively in multiple organizations, and Trotz himself has stated that Lambert deserves an NHL gig.  

But yeah - I think Gerard Gallant would have been a great fit........although I’m not really sure why both Florida and Vegas let him go despite his huge success.  That could be a hidden red flag right there.

Anyone who's worked with Trotz deserves a look IF they coach like Trotz lol.   Doubt they would though...but .75% Trotz is better then 96% of the rest of the league. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No to Julien.  Shaw most likely takes over in the next month or so when Aquilini has had enough.  It's gonna cost him money but at least we have a ready made replacement who's already on the payroll.

For the future, I can see a guy like Dale Hunter.  Babcock has had his day and will cost too much anyways.  Gallant or Quenneville would have been perfect.  Their teams are both playoff bound and playing good hockey.  Not sure what dirty laundry Green had on Aquilini to get his contract extended.  Maybe Aqua just didn't wanna spend the money during a pandemic for a better coach.  But then we spent to the cap for all of these new players and are paying Petey and Huggy record setting contracts for the organization, so I think it was short sighted to try and save a few pennies on the coach.

The worst part is he might have to fire Green a month into the season and then pay for 2 coaches for another 2 years. If he didn't see this coming I don't know how he made all those millions as a businessman in the first place smh.

Edited by timberz21

If Green is fired, I think  the most likely scenario is Benning will replace him with Shaw and some new assistants (maybe promoting his former colleague in Abbotsford, Gary Agnew and keeping Gustafsson), but who knows. Other candidates:

Karl Taylor - was an assistant coach on the Texas Stars' run and then coached Milwaukee to a .714 last year - no calder was awarded last year sadly. Coaches a good two way team. Kind of reminds me of a poorman's Barry Trotz. Kind of feels like a veteran coach may be what the Canucks need right now though, so he may not be the best fit in that regard. Another Portland Winterhawks alumni.

A couple of veteran head coaches available are Dan Bylsma (assistant in the AHL rn) and Bruce Boudreau (unemployed)...but neither to me really fit the team's needs. Maybe Bylsma to some degree but after the drama in Buffalo I doubt it's worth the risk.

John Stevens might be interesting. His head coaching career is spotty - but he did lead Philly to the semis and has been an assistant on two cup winning teams. His son also plays for Abbotsford, and previously Utica.

Gronberg has been mentioned a lot for vacancies. With the Swedish-Vancouver connection, and with Petey and OEL on the team Vancouver could be the place to give him a shot. I don't think Benning's in the place for a risk though considering his job is also on the hot seat.

Best case scenario is Paul Maurice gets fired the day before Green and the Canucks swoop him up :lol:

I don’t think Julien is the guy, not Boudreau either. 
I am concerned by the lack of basic details, support and coverage. Some of that is all the new or young players and should improve. 
What worries me more though is the lack of changes in the obvious problems. When the PP goes out I don’t think I hope they can score anymore, I think I hope they can gain possession in the zone. They seem to have one option for the breakout and teams have adjusted. Buffalo pressed the back pass again and again and we never had a second option. PP and PK are too static with people standing around. You have QuinnHughes, he should be roaming and looking for holes in the PK. 
The PP breakout problems can be measured in years now and that isn’t acceptable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 games into the season is what it took for the "fire green" chant to fire up again.

I think Green has his deficiencies. One of his biggest ones is (lack of) getting the team to play a defensive game, even though responsible 2-way play is what he always demands from his players. I really don't think it's the team assembled - although I do feel we are a little thin on quality D-men. We tend to bleed quality scoring chances from the slot and point blank that if we were to shore that up, I think this team would be fine.

But this thread is as valid now as it was last year. And the year before. This is nothing new, and I expect the chant to ebb and flow proportionate as to our wins and losses.

I guess the lynch mob doesn't want to listen to reason - but personally, I'll be waiting until the team plays at least as many home games as road games before jumping to any conclusions about who's fault everything is this season. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I don’t think Julien is the guy, not Boudreau either. 
I am concerned by the lack of basic details, support and coverage. Some of that is all the new or young players and should improve. 
What worries me more though is the lack of changes in the obvious problems. When the PP goes out I don’t think I hope they can score anymore, I think I hope they can gain possession in the zone. They seem to have one option for the breakout and teams have adjusted. Buffalo pressed the back pass again and again and we never had a second option. PP and PK are too static with people standing around. You have QuinnHughes, he should be roaming and looking for holes in the PK. 
The PP breakout problems can be measured in years now and that isn’t acceptable. 

maybe its not so much Green as it is the quality of his assistant coaches? the only two doing a good job are Ian Clark and so far it looks like Shaw has brought improvements, and neither of them came up with Green. He's relying on the guys he came up with through the AHL in Baumner and King for defensive and special teams and its not panning out. There must be better options out there for the bench.

Edited by JM_

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I guess the lynch mob doesn't want to listen to reason - but personally, I'll be waiting until the team plays at least as many home games as road games before jumping to any conclusions about who's fault everything is this season. 

you had the whole last season to watch Travis Green's coaching, how the team played, how the team finished in the rankings. Sample size is large enough to make a conclusion.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Fair enough but I don’t understand Podkolzin’s deployment (or lack thereof) last game.  Simple things like this are starting to annoy me to no end.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

you had the whole last season to watch Travis Green's coaching, how the team played, how the team finished in the rankings. Sample size is large enough to make a conclusion.

You're saying that a season played in a bubble where the entire team got COVID is an objective basis for relieving someone of their job? 

Funny, nobody was calling for Green's job when they took Vegas to the limit the year before that? 

Very much so in favor of letting Green go. Outside of the bubble, which was lightning in a bottle, I've never been impressed by his decisions or the way his teams play.

Whoever we do hire should have some NHL experience, either as a former NHL head coach or an experienced assistant coach with a lot of success to his name. No more virgins please.

the only way Green gets fired this season is if we are far from the playoff picture by, let's say, Jan. 

if we are 10 games back, wholesale changes happen. most likely suits gone, but not Benning as he has 1 firing to do to give take the pressure off of his chair. 

• Vintage 1

As much as Green may be on the hotseat (if he is even on the hotseat), he's not going to get fired any time soon. Green's firing would be Benning's last ditch effort before he gets fired himself and we're not in a desperate enough situation for that yet.

I also don't think Julien would be the answer. I think he'd gel with us about as much as Torts did.... which is what got Gillis fired in the end. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1