The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Green's coaching and Benning's trades degraded this team

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Yeah, this game didn't look good at all. It was uninspired hockey at its worst. Simple as that. 

It's too early in the season to make rash decisions, but the mistakes aren't ones fans haven't seen before. The defensive lapses were horrific and the unplugged controller feeling I got from the majority of the team was palpable. I have a hard time throwing this all on the players though. 

The powerplay looks totally pathetic and toothless. Again, doesn't fall solely on the players, mind you.

Pettersson looks like half the player he was in his rookie season. Not sure what's going on with the kid, but hopefully he sorts it out. Maybe he went on a unicycle spending spree?

If this does continue, Green is most assuredly gone, and Bumgardener will go with him. I don't think Benning will survive Green being canned either. There's only so much rope you sanely give a GM in his seventh year if he has to fire the second coach he hired. 

Hopefully this is a trip out of the gate, and not a total (expletive deleted)ing of the bed.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, this game didn't look good at all. It was uninspired hockey at its worst. Simple as that. 

It's too early in the season to make rash decisions, but the mistakes aren't ones fans haven't seen before. The defensive lapses were horrific and the unplugged controller feeling I got from the majority of the team was palpable. I have a hard time throwing this all on the players though. 

The powerplay looks totally pathetic and toothless. Again, doesn't fall solely on the players, mind you.

Pettersson looks like half the player he was in his rookie season. Not sure what's going on with the kid, but hopefully he sorts it out. Maybe he went on a unicycle spending spree?

If this does continue, Green is most assuredly gone, and Bumgardener will go with him. I don't think Benning will survive Green being canned either. There's only so much rope you sanely give a GM in his seventh year if he has to fire the second coach he hired. 

Hopefully this is a trip out of the gate, and not a total (expletive deleted)ing of the bed.

Welcome back, Blunt.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Yup haven’t been this disappointed in years. I’ve had tempered expectations the last few years because of our young core. I do disagree with the OP though Benning has put together a great team. Our coach doesn’t know how to manage it. If this goes sideways it will be Green that brings down Benning imo.

Sad sad turn out last night. Really disappointed. There’s no excuses 

I think everyone needs to calm the f down.

Although we obviously don't have the desired results, there is a lot to like about what we've seen this season so far. I feel we finally have the speed to keep up with most teams, and we also have good forward depth to roll effective lines. Besides being a bit weak on D, I don't think the issue is our personnel. 

Green mentioned after last night's game that we were not good enough, and he's right. Not enough hitting, not enough blocking, not enough of the players putting themselves on the line to win the game. We also have Quinn out, and Pettersson being expected to be our best offensive player and it looks like he's still working the rust off, and I didn't catch last night's game but I imagine Boeser needs to work himself into it as well.

I think once the team gains chemistry and key players are playing 100%, this team will be fine. Far too early to make knee-jerk decisions or generate panic. I believe that from what I've seen so far this season and historically, I maintain our biggest problem is mainly a continued lack of systems that work. I can't help but think that part is the coaching staff's responsibility to fix.

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Green mentioned after last night's game that we were not good enough, and he's right. Not enough hitting, not enough blocking, not enough of the players putting themselves on the line to win the game

Canucks were up 2-1, and BUF scored 4 unanswered goals. Unacceptable.  Good game plan Greener.  

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Although we obviously don't have the desired results, there is a lot to like about what we've seen this season so far. I feel we finally have the speed to keep up with most teams, and we also have good forward depth to roll effective lines. Besides being a bit weak on D, I don't think the issue is our personnel. 

Green mentioned after last night's game that we were not good enough, and he's right. Not enough hitting, not enough blocking, not enough of the players putting themselves on the line to win the game. We also have Quinn out, and Pettersson being expected to be our best offensive player and it looks like he's still working the rust off, and I didn't catch last night's game but I imagine Boeser needs to work himself into it as well.

I think once the team gains chemistry and key players are playing 100%, this team will be fine. Far too early to make knee-jerk decisions or generate panic. I believe that from what I've seen so far this season and historically, I maintain our biggest problem is mainly a continued lack of systems that work. I can't help but think that part is the coaching staff's responsibility to fix.

I agree with you. This is too early to judge. Many many great NHL coaches were fired. In 2011, the Boston Bruins was struggling to make the playoffs and the fanbase was asking for the GM and coach to be canned. Eventually they won the Stanley Cup that year. However, it is also reasonable for Canucks ownership to ask questions and find out whether Green is a good fit for this team or perhaps a different NHL team.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko

23 goals against in 6 games (preseason included)

1-4-1 record so far, and the Win was decided in a shootout

What's going on there?  Slow start I guess.

What does Demko have to do with anything. Your team falls apart, you can’t stop everything 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

What does Demko have to do with anything. Your team falls apart, you can’t stop everything 

Team D, including Demko, haven't been very good so far.  Wasn't Shaw supposed to fix this? Oh wait, they still have Baumgartner. 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Team D, including Demko, haven't been very good so far.  Wasn't Shaw supposed to fix this? Oh wait, they still have Baumgartner. 

Team D 100%. But how many goals were a player just standing by himself in front of the net. It’s not like he’s letting wrist shots for the circles in. He’s actually been very good considering 

Just now, Devron44 said:

He’s actually been very good considering 

I agree with this, Demko has done as well has he could've considering the D game in front of him. He has faced a lot of shots. I guess his poor record so far is more of a reflection of Team D. Didn't BUF get 42 on him?  Crazy.  What's TB going to get? 70 shots?  Can't blame not having Hughes, because he's not great defensively either. The team misses the steady Tanev IMO. 

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Hiring two AHL coaches that unsurprisingly failed is not on the GM?

What medal did you win at the mental gymnastics event?

I came in first, you?

You do know that in order to hire a big league coach and pay them big league money you have to get permission from the owner, right?  Maybe you can give Aquilini a call and ask him why he cheaped out on the coches...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I came in first, you?

You do know that in order to hire a big league coach and pay them big league money you have to get permission from the owner, right?  Maybe you can give Aquilini a call and ask him why he cheaped out on the coches...

You got any source that claims Benning wanted to hire more expensive coaches but Aquilini said no?

Aqua has allowed Benning to operate at a full cap while we bottom-fed during a "rebuild". He drew the line at something as important as the head coach?

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be making some calls and see how Babcock is handling things in Saskatchewan.

Considering who’s still out there, Bylsma, Boudreau are two names that come to mind that:

a) have had veritable success at the NHL level 

b) have coached superstar players with superstar egos 

c) achieved team buy-in of their systems

d) preach balanced, hard working hockey 

Bylsma’s currently in the A as an assistant.

Boudreau is in the US working towards bringing a new franchise into the USHL.

After 15-20 games, if we remain at this current pace, I would fire:

Green, King, Baumer.

Retain Shaw and the Twins (obviously), 

Attempt to bring in Boudreau as head coach (even if as a placeholder).

Bring in Bylsma as an Assistant for O.

Promote Shaw to full time A for D.

See how the team responds to that, to the culture change up, what personalities and egos show of themselves, who buys in and who doesn’t, and evaluate what we have with that.

We need a coach and crew with more than just NHL experience, we need proven winners with systems that will reshape mentally how this team takes to the ice and the effort and desire that is consistent and requisite with playoff caliber teams.

Attitude.

Imho.

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Here’s the problem though…if it takes so many games for players to play effective systems, is it really the system that’s working or it it the players working around and against the system to make it work for themselves.

when I see creativity on the ice with this skilled group, it’s not on set plays, it’s because of plays created on the fly in response to real time movement and location of the opposition.

You’re hedging a bet that our key players will all be playing 100% at a given time.

no, that’s very rare actually.

you can not count on that for success and if you, you’re done for.

what about injuries?

the problem with this is that the system in place should have the right players to plug in and out as when and needed and still keep rolling along like a machine.

it does not. It’s broken. How many games have we seen the blender, the rotation, the desperation of inserting player here and hope it works…?

here’s a question…after allllll this line juggling rotation, new roster, some new assistant coaches… do you notice ANYTHING different about our system play on ice?

the answer is no, not yet.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You got any source that claims Benning wanted to hire more expensive coaches but Aquilini said no?

Aqua has allowed Benning to operate at a full cap while we bottom-fed during a "rebuild". He drew the line at something as important as the head coach?

Coaches aren't like hockey players where you draft them and trade them.  They have to want to come to your team.  Guys like Babcock, Quenneville, Gallant are quite expensive.  You need permission from the owner to sign those guys who would be asking for millions of dollars in salary.

Travis Green makes approx. $1 million per year.  Guys like Quenneville and Vigneault makes upwards of $5 million a year.  That's a huge difference that only an owner can approve.  Also, players can be traded at any time even with a guaranteed contract.  Coaches have to be fired and their contract is guaranteed and payable no matter if they are fired or not.  So there is more risk in signing a big name coach to a long term big time contract versus a player that you can trade anytime to get the contract off the books.

• Vintage 1

If Green (and BumG) end up getting their walking papers, this will be Shaw's team. I don't see the management going out and getting another AHL coach in waiting, nor do I see them going after an older coach. 

Shaw has been an assistant coach in the NHL for over a decade and a half at this point. Rumor was that he was looking for a head coaching job after last season in Columbus. He settled for another assistant gig in Vancouver instead. I believe there's a reason for that. 

He's proven himself as an assistant coach more than many have in the league. I'd like to see his influence on this team more. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1