The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

On 11/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, ABNucksfan said:

If he’s injured he shouldn’t be playing. But I doubt he is, he just can’t handle the pressure, he’s 22 and has a mountain of expectations on him. He didn’t help it by holding out till almost the end of pre season to sign and play. Maybe he comes around, maybe he doesn’t. Either way thankfully he signed a bridge. Because he could be a massive boat anchor if he signed long term. 

I mean. I was one who wanted to sign petey to a long term deal. But if this is what we get. Thank God that he’s on a bridge deal. 

It has to be the wrist unfortunately. Injuries can screw up a player and Petey had a wrist injury that sidelined him for the season last year. It’s not a coincidence that he is somehow not performing. He can suck and be out of sync with timing etc. but a player won’t just lose his shot like that. The wrist injury is the only explanation at this point. 

How far have we come since that interview with the Swedish reporter that worried so many. He clearly put the heat on the organisation to build a winner & he should be driving that bus as a $7.5m player. He’s not. He’s been very poor so far this season and pressure will come. I’m prepared to give him some time given his long layoff with Covid and the wrist injury but his constant falling over, poor puck protection and defensive lapses concern me. The great unknown to me is what’s the relationship like with Green? TG gave him the rounds of the kitchen sink in Denver the other night, I didn’t see a response in Vegas either. Has he checked out from TG? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

It has to be the wrist unfortunately. Injuries can screw up a player and Petey had a wrist injury that sidelined him for the season last year. It’s not a coincidence that he is somehow not performing. He can suck and be out of sync with timing etc. but a player won’t just lose his shot like that. The wrist injury is the only explanation at this point. 

This is what I was thinking he missed remainder of last season due to wrist injury. This is why his shot and stickhandling is not what it usually is. But I won't worry too much Boeser had wrist injury and eventually recaptured his shot.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:57 PM, khay said:

Pointwise, RNH's best season < EP's worst season thus far.

EP was +3, +16, even in his first 3 seasons. He's defensively solid. RNH is a defensively good player now but it took him longer.

I don' think it's a fair comparison.

RNH had zero sniff of the playoffs before McDavid and Draisaitl came and took over as the leaders. Petey, along Hughes led the Canucks to the playoffs and won 2 rounds. Something that RNH has never done.

And I don't even have to talk about the playoffs because Petey only has 17 games and RNH only 20 games. But the fact that RNH only has 20 games in 3 playoffs over 11 seasons whereas Petey's been there once in 3 seasons and played 17 games in one playoff appearance speaks loudly about the quality between the two players.

I was at the game against the Rangers. I intently tracked his movements because his play has been concerning (I think people next to me were scared because I was so intense, I noticed some glances). He is going to be fine and we will all laugh about this early season struggle and how ridiculous Petey to RNH comparison will be by the end of the season.

Rnh is a heck of a player.

Markstrom led us to the playoffs and won us those rounds.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, ABNucksfan said:

Not haters, just not brown nosers who got their noses up Petey’s ass.

I hope Petey gets going again but the eye test has shown me that he's slow and weak on the puck this year, red flags that have been popping up since his rookie year.  Hope he proves me wrong and all the other who expect him to produce after acting like a Prima donna and working harder on his Twitter than on the ice… if he had 80+ points in the first 2 seasons of his career he’d probably pull a Marner and demand north of $10 mil. Glad he didn’t. 

like I said. We all like Pettersson, hell I am still considering a Pettersson jersey (Demko may have taken that spot with his ridiculous playing)  I think some are just upset at his actions.

Here are some facts of the situation:

Putsgoalsin (3 shots 6 hits 1 Goal) had more impact on the Game last night with 7 min playing time than Petey (3 shots 1 secondary assist) with 22 min playing time

Horvat, Miller, Garland, Hughes, Chaisson, Boeser, Dowling, and Podz have more goals than Petey,

Miller, Garland, Hughes, and Horvat all have more points than Petey. 

If Petey wasn’t on the PP he would only have 2 points this season.

Petey showed up late out of shape and hasn’t produced like he claimed he does in order to make more money than anyone one the team.  Night in night out he is not the hardest working player on the ice by a long shot. Are his legs injured too? Because he doesn’t skate like someone who is trying to bust a slump. 

I agree Pettersson needs to step it up, send him to the press box for a couple of games . Let that sink in.