The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think he will be fine.  Right now he is trying to do too much, trying to stick handle through 4 guys etc.  No training camp plus a revolving door of wingers doesnt help,.

Where I judge him, and why i still have a lot of faith, was his playoff performance.  18 points in 17 games when the games really counted and the opposition was really playing him tough.  It shows what he is capable of.

Do you guys remember the Sedins' first years?  Getting shoved around, tripping over the blue line....some fans wanted to run them out of town....lets have some patience here.

While I generally agree with this sentiment, the Sedin's were also getting paid for their level of play - and underpaid as the years progressed. EP has signed a contract that demands that he delivers. Fans are now demanding that he delivers. It's pretty simple. I have patience that he'll turn it around, but he will certainly get flack in the meantime while he doesn't. 

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

Do you guys remember the Sedins' first years?  Getting shoved around, tripping over the blue line....some fans wanted to run them out of town....lets have some patience here.

At that time the twins were not the 2nd highest paid players on the team, so that makes it different right there.

Strange seeing this topic, as I had just wondered in the PGT what we have with Petey.

Is he going to be elite or merely really, really good?

1 hour ago, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

While Pettersson can still get better with time, yeah, I would also agree that he doesn’t appear to be a franchise center in the mold of a McDavid, Matthews, Barkov, etc.

Pettersson is more of a 14-19th first line center.  So still a first line center but just not franchise level. Again, this could all change at some point as it did for Henrik. 

He's not a generational talent like crosby or mcdavid thats for sure.

Is he a fully developped legit #1 centerman, no, but he has the potential to be and has shown that's he progressing well in that role.  I'm not overly concerned about the slow start on the road after he was injured last season and missed training camp.

6 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

While I generally agree with this sentiment, the Sedin's were also getting paid for their level of play - and underpaid as the years progressed. EP has signed a contract that demands that he delivers. Fans are now demanding that he delivers. It's pretty simple. I have patience that he'll turn it around, but he will certainly get flack in the meantime while he doesn't. 

Point taken, regarding the pay.  But i think if EP (and the team) continues to underwhelm this season he would have been blasted no matter what his pay is just because he is the #1c and a high draft pick.  Surely "the holdout" for the big contract wont alleviate the criticism ...i agree.

The Sedins were hammered by the fans and media in their first few years, i can only imagine how much worse it would have been if they were getting paid near the top....

My whole point of bringing up the sedins is that a young highly skilled player can improve...we have examples of that in our own organization.

• Cheers 1

Maybe if people here didnt compare our rookies to the greatest players from the past, Petey the next Gretzky, Hughes the next Orr, maybe if you learned to temper your expectations  and just be happy that they have turned out as good as they have and will hopefuly keep progressing. The comparison of Hughs to Orr was the worst in my opinion, no offense to Hughes but he will never be what Orr was, lacks Orrs toughness imo.

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

The Gretzky comparison was only certain traits not a next Gretzky, big difference. 

And the comparison of those traits was made/echoed by Gretzky ... so I think they're well placed.

But if he keeps playing games where he's hardly noticeable - a half season of that and the comparison will switch to the player who must not be named.

11 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

While Pettersson can still get better with time, yeah, I would also agree that he doesn’t appear to be a franchise center in the mold of a McDavid, Matthews, Barkov, etc.

Pettersson is more of a 14-19th first line center.  So still a first line center but just not franchise level. Again, this could all change at some point as it did for Henrik. 

Going by the first three years of play Petty is on pair with Matthews and Barkov but McBaby is step ahead of all. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

That's debatable.  Even if , he's at #2 . 

Screenshot_20211020-105051_Chrome.jpg

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Quoting an old article where Makar was in 29 games into his career does nothing to support an argument that Pettersson would go first in a redraft done today. 

what he said. 

Just now, crobar said:

Maybe if people here didnt compare our rookies to the greatest players from the past, Petey the next Gretzky, Hughes the next Orr, maybe if you learned to temper your expectations  and just be happy that they have turned out as good as they have and will hopefuly keep progressing. The comparison of Hughs to Orr was the worst in my opinion, no offense to Hughes but he will never be what Orr was, lacks Orrs toughness imo.

Again, No one said next Orr only his skating and edge work where similar. People have to stop thinking just because the two names are read in the same sentence does not mean a 100% comparison. 

32 minutes ago, gurn said:

At that time the twins were not the 2nd highest paid players on the team, so that makes it different right there.

Strange seeing this topic, as I had just wondered in the PGT what we have with Petey.

Is he going to be elite or merely really, really good?

Yeah, that's the question for me as well. I'm not sure if Pettersson will ever get to McDavid or Matthews status of elite. 

I think he'll get to really, really, really good player. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Darius said:

Point taken, regarding the pay.  But i think if EP (and the team) continues to underwhelm this season he would have been blasted no matter what his pay is just because he is the #1c and a high draft pick.  Surely "the holdout" for the big contract wont alleviate the criticism ...i agree.

The Sedins were hammered by the fans and media in their first few years, i can only imagine how much worse it would have been if they were getting paid near the top....

My whole point of bringing up the sedins is that a young highly skilled player can improve...we have examples of that in our own organization.

Yeah. Petey will receive criticism, it's just how it works being in a Canadian market. Need the mental fortitude to be able to handle the pressure that comes from both media and the fans. The fanbase here can be ruthless. Can't even imagine what it's like being in Toronto. Can't ever get passed the first round, that sentiment out there has to wear on the players, it's not like they're completely tuned out and immune to what's being said. 

But with Toronto, at least they have other teams that media can focus on. With Vancouver, it's essentially one team, even though we got the Lions (CFL), and the 'Caps (MLS). The Canucks are the team this city revolves around. So all the attention is there. Petey is off to kind of a 'slow' start. 2 points in 4 games now. We'll see if that changes. I think we're also really spoiled too at the fact that Pettersson was near a point per game player the first couple of years, and now it feels he's not producing as much. I remember when Petey had with regularity, 3 point games often, and some 4 point games as well. It was insane just how frequently and how often he was producing. Is this more the norm? 

Would fans be happy if by the 10 game mark, Petey had 4/5 points? 

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

All those scouts would also say right now they under rated him and he was / is the best player from that draft.  No one compared him to Gretzky. McDavid and him where never compared either. The comparison was made of some shared traits and that's all. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks-elias-pettersson-sidney-crosby/

I would think comparing shared traits is what a constitutes a comparison, no? 

• Vintage 2

59 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The player has the final say, not the agent. If EP felt it was important for him to be there for the start of camp, he could have made it so.

hmm, not really. Its easy to say that, but Petey is just a kid, he didn't handle any of the hard stuff in the negotiation, they will follow what their agents recommend. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Man so many people are clueless as to how hockey/pro sports work. There are no easy wins in the NHL.

Zero easy wins. 

A really bad teams wins what 35% of the time? Those are a lot of wins for a

"bad" team. The gap is small.

Combine stats with a hangover, late flight, or injury, game over.

2 hours ago, Dekey Pete said:

:picard:

Missed the last game, must have been a stinker based on the abundance of "sky is falling" threads being started

i wonder if people overreacted after a few losses the same way back in the "golden years" (2009-12) or is this just a new trend...