The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Inflation : 40 Year High

Industrious1

33 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I cut all these convenience products out of my life.

I want hashbrowns? I'm cubing potatoes. It doesnt take too long and you can think of the cost savings as your "salary" for the activity.

I did that for a while but realized

a- it was not saving much money, if any-as the raw spuds in Powell River are now basically the same price

2- it is not wise for me to use a knife early in the morning

On 6/21/2023 at 9:55 PM, babych said:

I live in Calgary (at least for the next two months) and things are insane here too. Housing has been so hot the past couple of months.

I became debt-free (not including my mortgage) in September. Talk about great timing!

Anyway, I'm selling my house and most of my possessions and moving to Abu Dhabi for at least two years. I figure I'll ride things out there until Canada calms the hell down and then maybe I'll move back.

I'm in Calgary too, its stupid. I was reading 25,000 people every 3 months are moving here, its completely unsustainable and thats why its getting so crazy, there isnt close to enough housing here. We're moving to Red Deer, everything is cheaper, housing, gas, insurance.... Good luck to you in Abu, its got to be better there than it is here, this country is going insane

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

I'm in Calgary too, its stupid. I was reading 25,000 people every 3 months are moving here, its completely unsustainable and thats why its getting so crazy, there isnt close to enough housing here. We're moving to Red Deer, everything is cheaper, housing, gas, insurance.... Good luck to you in Abu, its got to be better there than it is here, this country is going insane

When a countries biggest cities’ economies are all dependent on growth, housing starts, then it’s pretty much a Ponzi scheme. The Canadian economy is soon to collapse. Can’t have high interest rates with so much consumer debt in the for of mortgages. 
We are doomed. 

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When a countries biggest cities’ economies are all dependent on growth, housing starts, then it’s pretty much a Ponzi scheme. The Canadian economy is soon to collapse. Can’t have high interest rates with so much consumer debt in the for of mortgages. 
We are doomed. 

Could contain: Formal Wear, Tie, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Photography, Portrait, Poster, Suit

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Not really good news.

1 Companies charge customers a 'fixed' price for the bread, consumers pay too much

2 companies get fined money, that money goes to the government, not the people that paid to much for their bread.

3 companies raise the price of the bread to recoup the 'lost' fine money, consumers pay too much for bread.

Let's count the winners here.

the government gets the fine money

the companies got the 'illegal' money, however much that was

the company passes on the amount of the fine.

looks like the only losers here are the consumer.

29 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Not really good news.

1 Companies charge customers a 'fixed' price for the bread, consumers pay too much

2 companies get fined money, that money goes to the government, not the people that paid to much for their bread.

3 companies raise the price of the bread to recoup the 'lost' fine money, consumers pay too much for bread.

Let's count the winners here.

the government gets the fine money

the companies got the 'illegal' money, however much that was

the company passes on the amount of the fine.

looks like the only losers here are the consumer.

I would be willing to bet it was more than the fine. Honestly the decision makers behind the whole thing should be going to prison, the fine is not enough of a deterrent.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are doomed. 

When the housing market collapses I'll be there with open arms... until then I'll be making tax free $$$ in the middle east.

On 6/25/2023 at 4:30 PM, Nucksfollower1983 said:

This is bad.

They need to look into the grocery model.

They were just mentioning it on the news. They must increase the venders at the major chains. More selection. 

I ran some liquor stores, we have dozens and dozens of venders we could buy from. That's not the case in grocery.

I knew a guy that ran a chain of grocery stores back in the day. He would tell stories of pressure, restrictions, and brand blocking( If you don't carry our one brand exclusively, then you don't get our other top selling brands) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

Just saying.

been saying it a while.

but whatever.

Grocery chains/conglomerates and oil and gas corps are just victims of inflation too

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2238676035762

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

But but but... there are... there's 11 there.  :ph34r:

(Just teasing... I'm a big proponent of buying locally sourced vs. imported from conglomerate.)

11 is a bad luck number for Canucks.  (see 1970 NHL draft).:ph34r:

(I ain't even going to mention that piece of **** that stole the #11 :lol:)

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2023 at 9:33 PM, Alflives said:

We are doomed. 

100%, sadly a whole lot of people are going to get caught in a bad spot.

My wife always says housing should be off limits when it comes to investing or a way to generate incone. Housing should be affordable to all Canadians 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, bishopshodan said:

This is bad.

They need to look into the grocery model.

They were just mentioning it on the news. They must increase the venders at the major chains. More selection. 

I ran some liquor stores, we have dozens and dozens of venders we could buy from. That's not the case in grocery.

I knew a guy that ran a chain of grocery stores back in the day. He would tell stories of pressure, restrictions, and brand blocking( If you don't carry our one brand exclusively, then you don't get our other top selling brands) 

In BC at least everything, and I mean EVERTYTHING goes through the BC Liquor Distribution Branch. Government stores, beer and wine, all of it. Only exception is tasting rooms.

Which goes through the same process as retail and unlike say a farmers market or specialty store that CAN carry what it wants that can't happen here. This has the effect of often making it easier to get beer from Alberta or the USA than locally made BC product. IF the BCLDB doesn't want to carry the product, BC can't get it unless they know about it and go to the source. 

It's the worst of both works. I guess this hidden layer or price gouging (above and beyond the grift at the government stores and the super grift of super high "sin" taxes) goes to the government so it doesn't count at "greed".......