The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Inflation : 40 Year High

Industrious1

17 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

You understand a hell of a lot more than I do. Thanks for the info.

I hear 'priinting money' a lot. I also have heard that Japan has been printing money since 2011, I think. 

It's 2023 and they have a good economy, 3rd in the world. It makes me wonder if this government bond /printing money dealio is all that bad, or are they heading for a rude awakening even though they have been doing it for over a decade?

Japan was suffering through deflation for like forever so they are the one place where it's probably a good idea, or at least is was. Not sure right now but Japan is definitely not typical though I don't know much more than that.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Seriously... JUST BUILD MORE f**kING HOUSES!

Well governments have gotten religion on that. There's so much housing construction it's hard to find people/supplies to do anything else....

I mean since downtown Vancouver we had one more urban centre in Metrotown in the 90s. There's many now going up. Surrey like crazy, brand new at Laughhead mall giant 30ish tower craziness, Brentwood Mall like Crazy, etc. etc. etc. Infill housing everywhere. In the interior and on the island houses houses houses.

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

So we have inflation being caused by a massive housing shortage, being made worse by rising interest rates effectively helping cut housing starts, which will only compound the housing shortage problem, further causing inflation.

Great job everybody!

clap-slowclap.gif

Well when you go out of your way to stop the business cycle to prevent a recession or a housing crash, then economics takes over and finds an new way to blow everything up eventually. Forest fires are part of the forest cycle.......

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Seriously... JUST BUILD MORE f**kING HOUSES!

It doesn’t help that they bring too many folks from other countries as well. Feds bringing them in and leaving it for the provinces and cities to resolve.

Toronto’s new mayor has clapped back already. Their shelters are becoming full and some asylum seekers are beginning to be left out on the streets. 

It doesn’t help that US cities are also getting overwhelmed and shipping out folks to Canada. Passing on the problem. 

Canada needs more migrants with the right skills to fill needs we don’t have (like building trades) that want to stay here permanently and not jump ship to the states after coming here. 

• Vintage 2
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It doesn’t help that they bring too many folks from other countries as well. Feds bringing them in and leaving it for the provinces and cities to resolve.

Toronto’s new mayor has clapped back already. Their shelters are becoming full and some asylum seekers are beginning to be left out on the streets. 

It doesn’t help that US cities are also getting overwhelmed and shipping out folks to Canada. Passing on the problem. 

Canada needs more migrants with the right skills to fill needs we don’t have (like building trades) that want to stay here permanently and not jump ship to the states after coming here. 

I don't have any problem with immigration, it's needed to keep the Ponzi scheme...err I in mean economy, running... But we should have been building public housing for decades to house the extra people and/or the existing Canadians displaced by them. The next best thing is to be building them NOW.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't have any problem with immigration, it's needed to keep the Ponzi scheme...err I in mean economy, running... But we should have been building public housing for decades to house the extra people and/or the existing Canadians displaced by them. The next best thing is to be building them NOW.

Well put.

Im tired of hearing the excuses. Where there is a will, there is a way. A building boom has to be a good thing, figure it out! I just dont see it as that hard if they really wanted to get it going.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well put.

Im tired of hearing the excuses. Where there is a will, there is a way. A building boom has to be a good thing, figure it out! I just dont see it as that hard if they really wanted to get it going.

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Housing, and disaster prep, should be considered a national emergency and dealt with-immediately.

Sell Canada on a plan and get to it-NOW!

Yup, make a plan, find/allocate the funding, build public housing. The sooner we just start doing it, the sooner it starts to improve. JUST DO IT.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

39 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Canada's inflation rate tumbles to 2.8 per cent, but economists warn inflation fight not over

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-s-inflation-rate-tumbles-to-2-8-per-cent-in-june-even-as-grocery-prices-remain-high-1.6483956

2.8%- sure I believe that.

I also believe I'm better looking than Robert Redford was, and richer than Elon Musk, prior to his purchase of twitter.

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, aGENT said:

Yup, make a plan, find/allocate the funding, build public housing. The sooner we just start doing it, the sooner it starts to improve. JUST DO IT.

we dont have governments that just do things. we have governments that waste more money and time than they should trying to make a plan only to turn around and abandon that plan just to waste more time and money trying to make another plan to abandon just to circle back to the first plan they had which now costs 10 times more than it would have if they had just done it 4 years earlier when they first came up with that plan.

Edited by Nucksfollower1983

22 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Inflation is down but I think the gas stations heard because one of the biggest drivers of the decrease in inflation, gas prices, is back up again....

*scrolls back over the last 55 pages at Hippy's posts saying just this*

You don't say....

Oh hey wait, absolutely ZERO disruptions in the supply chain.  Production still at near record levels.  Price is still jumping by 10 cents after staying static for the last 15 days without a single reduction.

fancy that, it is almost as though...food, fuel/transport.  the most significant drivers of inflation after housing are the largest part of the issue.  What does it boil down to?

Corporate greed.  Why?  because they know people are stupid enough to blame the government for it.

• Upvote 1

Federal Reserve interest rate decision: 25 bps rate hike to 5.25-5.50%

• Highlights from the Federal Reserve rate decision
  • 25 bps rate hike
  • economic activity has been expanding at a moderate pace (vs modest pace prior)
  • Repeats forward guidance that refers to "the extent of additional policy firming that may be appropriate"
  • No other changes to the statement

This statement is virtually identical to the prior one, save for the shift to a 'moderate' pace of growth from 'modest'. I thought the Fed may change the line that "inflation remains elevated" to indicate some progress but it's the same.

The implicit signal here is that the plan is to continue hiking at every-other meeting and the market is pricing in a 16% chance of a hike in September and 40% chance in November.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

*scrolls back over the last 55 pages at Hippy's posts saying just this*

You don't say....

Oh hey wait, absolutely ZERO disruptions in the supply chain.  Production still at near record levels.  Price is still jumping by 10 cents after staying static for the last 15 days without a single reduction.

fancy that, it is almost as though...food, fuel/transport.  the most significant drivers of inflation after housing are the largest part of the issue.  What does it boil down to?

Corporate greed.  Why?  because they know people are stupid enough to blame the government for it.

Could contain: Chart, Candlestick Chart