The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave Chappelle backlash

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They should. He has every right to voice his opinion on his comedy special. The Closer was awesome. Those that want Chappelle cancelled and Netflix punished need to get a life and stop trying to alter society to their needs and wants. Not everyone has to agree with everything everyone does. Those who demand as much need to (expletive deleted) right off. 

I think we are going down the path that anything and everything will be deemed offensive.

Political correctness and cancel culture is riding high.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They should. He has every right to voice his opinion on his comedy special. The Closer was awesome. Those that want Chappelle cancelled and Netflix punished need to get a life and stop trying to alter society to their needs and wants. Not everyone has to agree with everything everyone does. Those who demand as much need to (expletive deleted) right off. 

why doesn't everyone have the right to say what they want Phil? people who don't like Dave have a right to say it, not sure why they should *-off. Its a free country. 

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I think we are going down the path that anything and everything will be deemed offensive.

people have a right to have their say though. If Dave can say what he wants, people who don't like what he has to say should also have that right.

As far as cancel culture goes, I think thats more of a knee-jerk thing that will eventually fade off, the market will determine what Netflix puts up. 

• Cheers 1

It's really awful that comedy is being restricted these days. Richard Pryor and George Carlin must be rolling in their graves. If anything, this world needs to laugh more.  All of the "boo hoo" groups need to lighten up. Party-poopers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

It's either all a joke or none of it is.

The issue with this outrage is that they are picking and choosing what is acceptable which is in essence censorship.  They are ok with some of it until it pokes at them.

Poke an individual and all of a sudden you hate everything and everyone of that orientation.  Poke a sport you hate African Americans.  Poke a political party you're an extremist.

Insanity reigns in the US.  I disagree with Netflix firing said individual but they'll get paid.  As will Chapelle because he's the most blunt and honest comedian on tv right now and that pisses people off.

Why?  Because if the shoe fits feel free to lace it up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

people have a right to have their say though. If Dave can say what he wants, people who don't like what he has to say should also have that right.

As far as cancel culture goes, I think thats more of a knee-jerk thing that will eventually fade off, the market will determine what Netflix puts up. 

Yeah but if people don’t like something they don’t watch it. No need demand it is taken off, slander him or the people who defend him because of their misunderstanding of comedy and taking things out of context. It’s more about people taking things they shouldn’t take seriously, seriously. A complete misunderstanding and misinterpretation and what they have to say is based off that.

Sure they can say what they want. But given the circumstances it will say more about them than DC.

DC literally made fun of everything imaginable too and one thing gets pointed out. He even points out the concept of this. 

I am sure you’ve heard of the story DC told at the end of The Closer. As DC’s late friend once said he doesn’t punch up or down, he punches lines and is a master at his craft. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's either all a joke or none of it is.

The issue with this outrage is that they are picking and choosing what is acceptable which is in essence censorship.  They are ok with some of it until it pokes at them.

Poke an individual and all of a sudden you hate everything and everyone of that orientation.  Poke a sport you hate African Americans.  Poke a political party you're an extremist.

Insanity reigns in the US.  I disagree with Netflix firing said individual but they'll get paid.  As will Chapelle because he's the most blunt and honest comedian on tv right now and that pisses people off.

Why?  Because if the shoe fits feel free to lace it up.

The US is &^@#ed right now and oversensitivity is everywhere, on all sides. US Politics and news became a devolving gong show that catapulted this. 

It’s a shame we’re tied to a hip with them. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're missing the point. Civil discourse is a great thing. Disagreeing and, then, discussing benefits everyone. That way both sides present their perspective and get exposure to another. 

The people that want Chappelle's stuff off of Netflix aren't seeking civil discourse and discussion. They don't agree with his take and are outright demanding that it be removed. There is no middle ground and zero ability to reason being displayed here. So, if they aren't willing to reasonable, why should they be treated reasonably? 

thats a good question, what is "reasonable."? so to the people offended, they seem to think Dave's platform and comedy (which we don't really know is his true opinion, it is an act after all) is causing harm. So they are acting in a way that seems reasonable to them.

If its all within the law, I say let them all have at it. If we try to limit either side then we get into real trouble. 

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Cancel culture will never go away. These people have too much power and they love playing god. The people who want to cancel Chapelle and everyone else have a right to voice their displeasure of course. The problem is that their "voice" ruins people's lives. Look at Johnny Depp. His show was canceled while Amber Heard gets a free pass to keep working. 

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Everyone has a right to their say. Freedom of speech/opinion.

It's a matter of having your entire livelihood taken from you just because your opinion differs from popular media's.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah but if people don’t like something they don’t watch it. No need demand it is taken off, slander him or the people who defend him because of their misunderstanding of comedy and taking things out of context. It’s more about people taking things they shouldn’t take seriously, seriously. A complete misunderstanding and misinterpretation and what they have to say is based off that.

Sure they can say what they want. But given the circumstances it will say more about them than DC.

DC literally made fun of everything imaginable too and one thing gets pointed out. He even points out the concept of this. 

I am sure you’ve heard of the story DC told at the end of The Closer. As DC’s late friend once said he doesn’t punch up or down, he punches lines and is a master at his craft. 

Dave is doing an act, I don't see it as a personal statement or a place to learn about complex social issues, he's just hilarious and free to say what he wants to. 

But he also knows what he's said is designed to provoke a response. 

19 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Cancel culture will never go away. These people have too much power and they love playing god. The people who want to cancel Chapelle and everyone else have a right to voice their displeasure of course. The problem is that their "voice" ruins people's lives. Look at Johnny Depp. His show was canceled while Amber Heard gets a free pass to keep working. 

8 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Everyone has a right to their say. Freedom of speech/opinion.

It's a matter of having your entire livelihood taken from you just because your opinion differs from popular media's.

this is why we need to keep allowing the free discussion. Cancel culture will continue to have too much power if its not challenged and the discussions are not allowed to proceed. 

Sure it might be annoying a lot of the time, but people have the right to protest. 

Let everyone have their say, and see how many people agree or not. By letting everyone have their say, including the 'fire Dave' stuff, we'll see how many people think thats appropriate. But if we put the clamp down on the protestors, we'll never know how many people support them, or not. It'll continue to be some murky thing that some business leaders and for sure academics are afraid of. Get it all out there. 

Edited by JM_

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

thats a good question, what is "reasonable."?

What's reasonable? That would be having a conversation with someone before you go after their livelihood as an immediate reaction because you disagree with their opinion. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

so to the people offended, they seem to think Dave's platform and comedy (which we don't really know is his true opinion, it is an act after all) is causing harm. So they are acting in a way that seems reasonable to them.

I don't think it's an act at all. Have you watched the Closer? Chappelle is probably the greatest living comedian, and it's not just because he's uproariously funny. It's because he's as smart as he is funny. He's willing to speak about issues and topics that mainstream media seems incapable of tackling anymore, at least without a bias in place. 

How is The Closer causing harm? Maybe just maybe, their sensitivities are dictating their actions rather than their reason. In essence what these folks are looking to do is censorship, pure and simple. I see very little difference between what the PMRC was doing against rock and metal music in the 80's and 90's and what these people are doing now. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

If its all within the law, I say let them all have at it. If we try to limit either side then we get into real trouble. 

Let them have at what? Someone's career? Or maybe these people could act with some tact and maturity and see if they can get a conversation going with Chappelle. 

Clearly no one should be allowed to limit what someone should do or say. Free speech should always be a thing, as should civil discourse. It would be nice if everyone felt that way.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I'm offended by political correctness.

Where is my walkout, settlement and apology?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Cancel culture isn't new.  Book burnings to Tipper Gore, it has been used by both sides of the isle in the US.  Even as the right wing side is rallying against cancel culture now, they are they continue to be some of the worst practitioners of it.  Anyone says anything bad about Trump cancelled by the right.  At this point the lunatic wings of both party are excluding the vast majority of the actual population.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1