The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave Chappelle backlash

CBH1926

10 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

I see one label thrown around quite a bit on this forum (especially in the cut-throat covid thread).

Anti-Vax.  Blanket term used to describe everyone from the religious, to First Nations, to the medically exempt, to those that are simply confused or hesitant.  The spectrum is actually much more complicated than that but that term is freely used to describe and denigrate a certain portion of the population, even painting entire Provinces with the same brush when convenient or just for a laugh.  

Such a term can invoke attacks even by bringing it up and is resulting in the loss of rights for a minority of people.  Even mentioning it in a light that doesn't fit the narrative will most likely result in some negativity. 

Has this comedian used “anti vaxx” in this way?

Otherwise, why post this here?  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I really dislike people who use the term woke to describe people. 

I find that people who use that term in the context you have are using it to demean others.

How about I give you a label ?

Would you like that ?

I don't believe you would so I will not do it.

Hows this for a radical idea,we are all one community,a community of human beings. 

A community that encompasses many different views and beliefs.

As long as those views and beliefs don't impact others in a negative manner what right does anyone have to attack/critisise or withhold the rights from any other member of our community.

Are you a member of a section of our community like the LGBT that you mentioned ?

A section of our community that has suffered persecution simply for being who they are. 

If you are you might understand why some of them are pretty pissed.

I am not myself yet I totally understand why parts of our community are upset and pissed off because of the treatment they have received from other sections of our community,in many cases for centuries.

What it boils down to is do you or anyone else who is familiar with Dave believe he treats others the way he wishes to be treated himself.

I believe he does.

I never say it to demean others but rather to put a word to an ideology of a group when discussing large and abstract ideas, the same way I (you as well, likely) would talk about the far right. If you want to put a label onto me then you can do that; I've thought many times about whether or not I fit into any kind of label, and the only one I can ever feel comfortable with is humanist. But you won't find me getting upset with someone labelling me something, even if they're completely off base. 

Although I'm not a member of the LGBT community, some of my friends are, and if there's one thing they each hate the most (as we talk about this often) is that the woke portion of their "community" identifies with their sexuality, gender, sex, etc. But they don't want to have to be constantly viewed as their whatever; they want to live in a world where no one thinks about it when speaking to them and vice versa. When identity gets forced into being, either by gender or race or sexuality, it divides all of us. I remember growing up and being told we should never see colour, but now we're being forced to see it in everyone and make assumptions based on it. How does this make sense? I mean, it's of course understandable that people are pissed; they've been persecuted for centuries, and many still are, but at some point we have to hold up a mirror and shine a light onto the way we get to a world where that doesn't happen. So ask yourself: is the way the woke approaches this important issue the answer, or is it doing more harm than good? I'm torn on this, as I think it does do a lot of harm, but at the same time, it's also showing us what the pendulum looks like on the far left, which often helps lead us back into the middle. 

Really, Chappelle has to happen, because the pendulum really has always swayed from left to right, left to right, and it's artists and thinkers like Dave that help keep it moving and not getting stuck on one end or the other. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

it makes his message more effective if you take his act at its word.

That’s the issue though. If one is taking comedy at it’s word then one is shutting off one’s critical thought faculties, when it’s most needed, in or to distinguish the truth/message behind the words instead of the face value of just the words. 

Sometimes one must bring more than their presence to a painting to understand what is being expressed. 

As such, sometimes one needs to bring more than just their ears and eyes when experiencing other artists, to ‘see’ what is being ‘painted’. 

All art isn’t for everyone. All subjects will not ‘speak’ to all people.

Its far past time we all got off our high horses looking to draw and quarter those who offend our sensibilities. 

I for one know you are able to be introspective about your opinion and perhaps it will change about DC with a little more reflection. Perhaps not. Doesn’t matter really. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the issue though. If one is taking comedy at it’s word then one is shutting off one’s critical thought faculties, when it’s most needed, in or to distinguish the truth/message behind the words instead of the face value of just the words. 

Sometimes one must bring more than their presence to a painting to understand what is being expressed. 

As such, sometimes one needs to bring more than just their ears and eyes when experiencing other artists, to ‘see’ what is being ‘painted’. 

Its far past time we all got off our high horses looking to draw and quarter those who offend our sensibilities. 

I for one know you are able to be introspective about your opinion and perhaps it will change about DC with a little more reflection. Perhaps not. Doesn’t matter really. 

I just think its useful to look at Dave's routine from that pov. I have no idea what he really thinks.

33 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Well said. 

One of the most important, deep-seeded issues, to make note of on a higher level is how intention has been eroded. No longer are the days where it matters what the intentions are behind someone's word or art; now are the days where viewers, audiences, people in general, create their own intention/meaning behind someone's words or art. This is a serious issue that cannot be ignored.

Here's a thought example I once heard from an academic who has written on the subject (I think it's from Jonathan Haidt, and I'm paraphrasing):

Scenario 1: You're walking down a sidewalk and you accidentally bump into someone's arm while walking by each other. The other person assumes positive intent in that you obviously didn't mean to do it. You both smile, apologize, and continue walking. No harm, no foul. 

Scenario 2: You're walking down the street and you accidentally bump into someone's arm while walking by each other. The other person assumes negative intent in that you obviously meant it maliciously, even when you clearly did not. They then begin to yell at you and shame you for your negative intent.

At some point in our recent history, a large portion of our society has gotten lost and now only assumes negative intent, rather than taking time to listen, learn, forgive, and progress down the sidewalk, no harm, no foul. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I’ll be honest I never really knew much about DC before this as I hadn’t had a lot of exposure to him for whatever reason. Now with this controversy I’ve learned much more about him and realize I’ve been missing out. IMHO there are two basic rules when poking fun at others. #1 is to be able to laugh at yourself, all your little foibles and idiosyncrasies, your weaknesses, and all the stupid things you have done/do. If you can’t laugh at yourself you have no right to make fun of others. #2 never be mean-spirited or intend to cause pain when making jokes. 

After that comedy is probably the best medium for bringing people together and for bringing about a change in attitudes. Lenny Bruce taught us that something could be dirty and funny at the same time. Joan Rivers taught us that a woman could be scathing and still be funnier than most men. George Carlin taught us the hypocrisy of language and moral outrage at words. Archie Bunker showed us the waste and stupidity of racism and homophobia while and at the same time showing the human side of it’s origins and the ability to grow and change. Kathy Griffin taught us that the right cancels every bit as well as the left, (even bad comics can teach us something.)

Personally I thought @RomanP said it best back on page 3. He was offended by Dave’s space Jew joke so he stopped watching and being a fan. Didn’t ask anyone to join him or cancel his show, just stopped supporting him. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Think of the comedians who changed your biases and  perceptions over the years and how much we would have missed if we had cancelled them. Almost every comedian has offended the sensibilities of their time.

7CE53CFE-125D-46DA-945C-94E00C5865D0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I never say it to demean others but rather to put a word to an ideology of a group when discussing large and abstract ideas, the same way I (you as well, likely) would talk about the far right. If you want to put a label onto me then you can do that; I've thought many times about whether or not I fit into any kind of label, and the only one I can ever feel comfortable with is humanist. But you won't find me getting upset with someone labelling me something, even if they're completely off base. 

Although I'm not a member of the LGBT community, some of my friends are, and if there's one thing they each hate the most (as we talk about this often) is that the woke portion of their "community" identifies with their sexuality, gender, sex, etc. But they don't want to have to be constantly viewed as their whatever; they want to live in a world where no one thinks about it when speaking to them and vice versa. When identity gets forced into being, either by gender or race or sexuality, it divides all of us. I remember growing up and being told we should never see colour, but now we're being forced to see it in everyone and make assumptions based on it. How does this make sense? I mean, it's of course understandable that people are pissed; they've been persecuted for centuries, and many still are, but at some point we have to hold up a mirror and shine a light onto the way we get to a world where that doesn't happen. So ask yourself: is the way the woke approaches this important issue the answer, or is it doing more harm than good? I'm torn on this, as I think it does do a lot of harm, but at the same time, it's also showing us what the pendulum looks like on the far left, which often helps lead us back into the middle. 

Really, Chappelle has to happen, because the pendulum really has always swayed from left to right, left to right, and it's artists and thinkers like Dave that help keep it moving and not getting stuck on one end or the other. 

It is obvious to me that you are a good person with a good heart.

I to describe myself as a humanist,to be clearer an agnostic humanist. 

It's pretty frackin simple to me,treat others the way you wish to be treated,full stop.

White,black,red yellow, trans,gay I treat everyone the way I want to be treated, within dignity and respect.

What I will do is call out those that do not adhere to this moral code.

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Thrilled to see the Pandora Papers received as much attention as this what should be a non-story. 

As much as slandering former figure skaters was interesting, I don't see how you link these two stories. 

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

As much as slandering former figure skaters was interesting, I don't see how you link these two stories. 

It is a simple contrast of where priorities, where attention is fixated. The former is of an issue that is demonstrably harmful and discriminatory towards everyone not of a select few and the other story is about some "mean" jokes. 

• Cheers 1

My question, and it's probably not pertinent to this.

but why, did Netflix employees suddenly get upset and grow a spine after Chapelle said some mean things that hurt their feelings; but stayed silent about and over Cuties?

Anyone remember that show?  essentially a pedophiles soft core smorgasboard that literally EVERYONE was upset about?

Seems they really pick and choose what is and is not acceptable based on their tolerance or lfiestyles

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

My question, and it's probably not pertinent to this.

but why, did Netflix employees suddenly get upset and grow a spine after Chapelle said some mean things that hurt their feelings; but stayed silent about and over Cuties?

Anyone remember that show?  essentially a pedophiles soft core smorgasboard that literally EVERYONE was upset about?

Seems they really pick and choose what is and is not acceptable based on their tolerance or lfiestyles

thats easy, its more "woke" to come to the (assumed) defence of trans people.