The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is MTL Purposefully Tanking?

Rate this topic

13 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Edmundson’s father is dying of cancer.  Christ. Does everything have to be a conspiracy?  I had to argue with an idiot yesterday that believed Price was faking mental illness to somehow help Montreal circumvent the cap 

The internet is a beautiful place isn't it :picard:

• Upvote 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, Devron44 said:

How does a team collectively get together and try to lose. I don’t get that. Nor do I understand why an athlete could. A game here and there where a player is just not feeling it sure but to try and not win doesn’t compute.

Yeah the players don't tank, management does.

Waive Gadjovich for Petan and Chiasson, trade Juolevi for Lammikko etc. 

Joking. I kid I kid. 

JB is all in on making playoffs this year

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Are they taking a page from the Sens' playbook? Granted it's very early, but feel this is a fair question.

Price & Weber? Take your sweet time gents. They get to wind another season off 18 + mill AAV of them contract terms. They likely will have Weber on permanent LTIR to wind that one down. Then they wouldn't mind retaining a % on Price perhaps? Have him rested up. No point damaging his value this yr, so let him deal with whatever issues he needs to.

Should he return in good spirits(& they are indeed rebuilding, at that time), it's easy to imagine a bidding market for his services, if there were some retention, and/or Habs take back high cap contracts.

Their 2018 high pick was wasted. Bet they'd love having Brady or Quinn today. But they locked in Suzuki, & Caufield looks like the real deal.

Also imagine they very much want a top-10 pick for 2022. Leave a late 1st(Canes pick) spent to acquire Dvorak. Prob best way to move on from this whole chapter.

Now Edmundson needs time? Well that would assist a low finish too, wouldn't it? Same as Price, why tarnish this guy's value? He was excellent last season.

How many GM's would bid handsomely on such a guy in March? Bet he'll be back(& on market) at the TDL. A couple vet fwds likely will also be available.

Is this a yo yo rebuild-strategy(strong surge, then plummet)?  Over a longer time period, you could argue TBay benefited from such a tactic. Seems they would have strong seasons, then suddenly drop to land Hedman, SS windfalls. Ottawa also had a great spring, then sold items with significantly elevated value.

Interesting approach, if you ask me. If Bergevin & Habs' owner shared a handshake on this, he might suddenly start walking & talking like Pierre Dorion(from 2017-2020)times.

Very convincing argument; and I don't blame Berg cause these next few drafts will have some high end talent at the top.   He had his chance, at a top 3 pick and he picked a dud (imo) - Jesper K. 

This year he will have two first round picks and if he picks in the top 3 with one of them - then this would be the cheapest way to acquire a franchise player: IF HE DOES HIS JOB (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

Perhaps I should've specified earlier? 'Tank' being more of a buzzword, to economize the headline. The issue is more of degree, not an outright-decree.

My assumption is that if they cannot be a PO-contender, they would prefer to slip beneath the 10th OA draft-slot, & send a higher(likely Canes pick) to the desert.

This should certainly be distinguished from the scorched earth, apocalyptic tank, which the likes of the Laffs & Sabs have executed over the past decade.

The players would have no part(as explained up-thread); it'll mostly come from various transactions, more geared towards their future.

This 1-yr setback could theoretically be nestled between 2 yrs of PO-qualification, prompting comparisons to the yo yo diet - for those who prefer peaks & valleys!

• 2 weeks later...

Appears they're tumbling into a quagmire. On youtube, was listening to "The Sick Podcast With Tony Marinaro"..this guy has a decent show. Would give it a recommend.

Would also say the Habs make for a pretty interesting franchise, case-study, at the moment. Looks like they'll have to make some hard decisions in the near future. Will MB be making trade decisions for much longer? Appears this would be the first question to mull.

If many more teams encounter fwd injuries, they'd probably be wise to start selling. That bottom-10 finish will look more inviting with every passing wk...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 2:39 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

It's funny how some people's imaginations default towards conspiracies.....Montreal is losing....they must be tanking!....:frantic:

Just maybe the problem is they're having a slow start and are missing their franchise goaltender? :rolleyes:

And Defender. 

On 10/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Are they taking a page from the Sens' playbook? Granted it's very early, but feel this is a fair question.

Price & Weber? Take your sweet time gents. They get to wind another season off 18 + mill AAV of them contract terms. They likely will have Weber on permanent LTIR to wind that one down. Then they wouldn't mind retaining a % on Price perhaps? Have him rested up. No point damaging his value this yr, so let him deal with whatever issues he needs to.

Should he return in good spirits(& they are indeed rebuilding, at that time), it's easy to imagine a bidding market for his services, if there were some retention, and/or Habs take back high cap contracts.

Their 2018 high pick was wasted. Bet they'd love having Brady or Quinn today. But they locked in Suzuki, & Caufield looks like the real deal.

Also imagine they very much want a top-10 pick for 2022. Leave a late 1st(Canes pick) spent to acquire Dvorak. Prob best way to move on from this whole chapter.

Now Edmundson needs time? Well that would assist a low finish too, wouldn't it? Same as Price, why tarnish this guy's value? He was excellent last season.

How many GM's would bid handsomely on such a guy in March? Bet he'll be back(& on market) at the TDL. A couple vet fwds likely will also be available.

Is this a yo yo rebuild-strategy(strong surge, then plummet)?  Over a longer time period, you could argue TBay benefited from such a tactic. Seems they would have strong seasons, then suddenly drop to land Hedman, SS windfalls. Ottawa also had a great spring, then sold items with significantly elevated value.

Interesting approach, if you ask me. If Bergevin & Habs' owner shared a handshake on this, he might suddenly start walking & talking like Pierre Dorion(from 2017-2020)times.

Maybe. Bergevin isn't feeling much heat. I endorse the idea and think we should get on it

• 2 weeks later...