The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is MTL Purposefully Tanking?

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They're still going to get a great pick. Good for the franchise either way.

Absolutely.  I just thought it was ridiculous to suggest they were tanking on purpose.  They’ve lost over 500 man games this year including their top goalie and 1D. They also had an incomplete coach.   There was never an intentional  tank happening though.  

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 2

Wouldn't be surprised to see them bounce back next season, maybe be in the mix for a playoff spot. They've got a good looking forward group. Goaltending is a question, their D too. But who knows what moves they'll make?

Could be the perfect storm if they nab a top 3 pick. Injuries and missing Price all season hasn't helped them. Neither did coaching. 

They're where we'd probably be without Demko. 

Better under Marty, I'm surprised by how well they've played. 

Edited by Coconuts

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

As predicted back in Oct, Mtl would ensure their own pick was a high one. Mission accomplished!

In fairness 500+ man games lost would cripple pretty much any team. Especially when the nearly 200 of the games lost are a hof dman and goalie. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

In fairness 500+ man games lost would cripple pretty much any team. Especially when the nearly 200 of the games lost are a hof dman and goalie. 

Absolutely, & a big reason I saw them plummeting. Be interesting to see if there's a yo yo trend to come.(great PO/ plummet/ bounce-back)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Absolutely, & a big reason I saw them plummeting. Be interesting to see if there's a yo yo trend to come.(great PO/ plummet/ bounce-back)

Was far from an intentional tank though. Was a worst case scenario of luck for them. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I believe they set a record for man games lost. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 730.  They ended up having to dress 43 different players over the course of the season. So 2 full rosters of different players.  Also. They ran with a 3rd string waiver wire pickup goalie or worse for 55/82 games.  Being forced to use 6 different goalies.  

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Trading away Romanov, they're really tanking hard here. This wasn't the year to do it but you might as well try to tank for just 2-3 years rather than how most teams tank for 5 and win Cups. If they get close to Bedard next year the league is done, Montreal will be at the top in a few years time. They just need that elusive goalie and defencemen though but they're stacking up forwards right now and probably think Dach fits in there too.

Marinaro's "Sick Podcast": So watched him interview this Brian Wilde(TV talkin' head?) the other day, who claimed that "Slaf was NOT the right pick". Indeed, that was even the title of the Utoob show.

What do these 'experts' get paid for such analysis? Must be a lotta' po'ed Habs backers today :^)

Sakic won GM of the year for carefully tanking and building a cup winner. Of course MTL is tanking. Only one team that I know of in the last 50 years, who has never had a first overall selection, that does not understand math, or tanking, is Vancouver.

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Trading away Romanov, they're really tanking hard here. This wasn't the year to do it but you might as well try to tank for just 2-3 years rather than how most teams tank for 5 and win Cups. If they get close to Bedard next year the league is done, Montreal will be at the top in a few years time. They just need that elusive goalie and defencemen though but they're stacking up forwards right now and probably think Dach fits in there too.

It has nothing to do with tanking. Romanov was the price to get a 2C in Dach.  Getting that 2C allowed them to be comfortable in taking Slafkovsky over Wright.  Hughes confirmed they had the trade in their pocket prior to making the 1st OA pick 

Losing Romanov hurts but they have several NHL ready (or almost ready) D prospects in Guhle, Barron, Harris, Norlinder. 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:08 PM, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see them bounce back next season, maybe be in the mix for a playoff spot. They've got a good looking forward group. Goaltending is a question, their D too. But who knows what moves they'll make?

Could be the perfect storm if they nab a top 3 pick. Injuries and missing Price all season hasn't helped them. Neither did coaching. 

They're where we'd probably be without Demko. 

Better under Marty, I'm surprised by how well they've played. 

I still think they might be in the mix if they can shore up their D and Price can stay healthy, they looked better under Marty. Their top 6 suddenly looks more interesting too. 

A surefire playoff team? Nah, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the mix. I think they'll be too good for a top 3 pick at the very least. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I still think they might be in the mix if they can shore up their D and Price can stay healthy, they looked better under Marty. Their top 6 suddenly looks more interesting too. 

A surefire playoff team? Nah, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the mix. I think they'll be too good for a top 3 pick at the very least. 

I don't see Dach being that much of an improvement. I think Ottawa passes the Habs this season.

Edited by johngould21
  • Vintage 1