The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Oct. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, tas said:

hmm, he plays dowling more and he scores. he plays dickinson more and he scores. maybe the coach of the f---ing team has some insight into which players are going and which aren't and knows what he's doing?

Playing more and scoring doesn't equal winning. You can play bad players more minutes, maybe 30 minutes a game so that they score more just because they are out there but they will get scored on even more. Not a smart argument.

And Dowling got more minutes because he scored, not the other way around. 

Dickinson was getting far too few minutes in the previous games in the last two games that we lost, 10 minutes against the Sabres and 12 minutes against Red Wings.

In the games that we got at least a point, Dickinson played 16 (Edmonton), 15 (Philly), 15 (Chicago) minutes.

He's a third line center that can help ease scoring load from the first two lines. Give him good linemates like tonight with Hoglander, and that line will be the difference maker against weaker competition and ultimately help us get into the playoffs. 

I'm not convinced that Dowling can push the play in the right direction long term. Yes, he scored one goal and the coach rewarded him for it by giving him more ice time, but he didn't do jack $hit with that ice time, did he? I really don't know if he did make good use of the extra ice time against the Sabres because I missed the second half of the game, but apparently, we got dominated in the second half of that game? Going by your simplistic logic, maybe we got dominated because Dowling got too many minutes?

29 minutes ago, Sean83 said:

Can't complain, can't complain at all:towel:about being 3rd in the Pacific Division.  Just about exactly where I realistically hoped to be in the standings early on! 

On another note, what's up with our captain? I've never seen him lose his cool like that ever, at least not since early 2019 when I started following this team religiously again. It was speculated he's hurt?  Maybe something to do with missing Gunnar and Holly?  That doesn't really make sense though.  He was a bit cranky last game against Buffalo too, seen swearing on camera.

It's a sign that he holds himself to higher standards and wants to deliver.

11 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Ridicules lol.

Quinn 4 games 3 points even + - top minutes on the team.

Cale, minus 8, 4 games 1 secondary pp assist.

Avs  fans getting a dose of reality when he doesn't have Toews as his partner and no Nate racking up easy pp points for him.

Thought our D looked good for the most part tonight.

Our top six needs to be better and I'm sure they will I will cut them slack due to not playing together and Petey and Brock still getting the rust off, TG needs to decide on his lines and keep them together and let them gel and get on the same page.

Podz needs to be in next game.

No Nate is exposing Makar.

Give the puck to Nate and he accelerates, dekes, skates past the defenders, and scores in all sorts of ways. What an easy point and likely a primary assist (from your own blueline).

Whereas Hughes does for Canucks what Nate does for Avs.

Makar doesn't dominate play on the ice like Hughes.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Have to say Garland has been my favourite player so far this early season. Leads the team in points. Doesn’t take a shift off, pisses off the opposition, slippery along the boards, creates offence, seems reasonable in his own end. Really have nothing to bad say at all.

Hoglander has been my favorite but Garland is definitely fun to watch.

Just waiting for Green to play them together...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

I was watching Seth Jones a lot and I couldn’t figure out what’s so great about him lol Go Hawks 

Connor Murphy on the other hand had a solid game. He would be a good player to target if we wish to be a playoff contender

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, khay said:

Give the puck to Nate and he accelerates, dekes, skates past the defenders, and scores in all sorts of ways. What an easy point and likely a primary assist (from your own blueline).

It always reeks of tremendous insecurity to me when people need to slag on good young players on other teams in an attempt to pump up one of ours.

Makar and Hughes are BOTH guys that dominate play with their offensive skills. 

Anyone who says Makar only gets easy points by shoveling it to Mackinnon has clearly never watched him play. 

And anyone who says Hughes dangles defenders and scores many different ways is ignoring his whopping 3 goals last year. He has 12 career goals in 133 games. Makar, for the record, has 20 goals in 105 games.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 2

12 minutes ago, khay said:

People mock Barrie for easy points and that's fair but  nobody does that with Cale when after watching and looking at numbers, it's very obvious who makes who better and that's fine but the hype around Cale and all the  crap about Hughes it's nice to see Cale getting just walked and exposed.

Quinn most definitely drives this club and he looks much stronger in his zone and is getting points without cheating on defense

Gotta throw some love at Myers, he is undeserving of the flak he takes but has been real solid so far.

• Cheers 2

I only watched the highlights but I am still worried about PP1. I still say remove Miller. It is very easy to tell what Miller wants to do on the PP. Just look at this 5 v 3. He is literally looking at Petey and telling everyone where he was passing it to, he just got lucky the PK didn't catch it. I have seen so many times where Miller telepaths his plays like this. It is pretty frustrating.

image.thumb.png.e66770e07cdc37f7c7cea311507891de.png

• Upvote 1

If you think Green is on the hot seat here, Colliton says “hold my beer.” Fans don’t just want him fired, they want him strapped onto a rocket and fired into the sun (preferably with Bears coach Matt Nagy along side him.) Stan Bowman is probably even less popular than Benning. Fans are livid that the team has started the season by setting a team record of 300:57 without having a lead. Fans are irate that Khaira is spending time on the top line, sound familiar? I would expect a few more declarations that JC and SB are safe and then if they lose another string of games Colliton will take the hit. I bet fans are missing Q now.

If all the scouts were there to see Strome I don’t know that they saw much to impress from him. I thought Debrincat was the best Hawk with the goal and drew a couple of penalties with his speed. Hagel was pretty good, didn’t notice Dach as much as I thought I would.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

People mock Barrie for easy points and that's fair but  nobody does that with Cale when after watching and looking at numbers, it's very obvious who makes who better and that's fine but the hype around Cale and all the  crap about Hughes it's nice to see Cale getting just walked and exposed.

Quinn most definitely drives this club and he looks much stronger in his zone and is getting points without cheating on defense

Gotta throw some love at Myers, he is undeserving of the flak he takes but has been real solid so far.

You should actually watch Makar play. He is pretty damn good offensively and still better overall defensively than Hughes.

Slagging on Makar doesn’t make Hughes better. We’re you slagging on Hughes last year when he was one of the worst defensive players in the league and Makar was really good?

Ya that’s what I thought. It’s been a handful of games and it is possible both are awesome players.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It always reeks of tremendous insecurity to me when people need to slag on good young players on other teams in an attempt to pump up one of ours.

Makar and Hughes are BOTH guys that dominate play with their offensive skills. 

Anyone who says Makar only gets easy points by shoveling it to Mackinnon has clearly never watched him play. 

And anyone who says Hughes dangles defenders and scores many different ways is ignoring his whopping 3 goals last year. He has 12 career goals in 133 games. Makar, for the record, has 20 goals in 105 games.

Watched ever game of Cales last year. He is very dependent on Nate.

This is a nucks board and nothing wrong with pointing out flaws when that's all any fanbase does with Quinn and love shoving Cale in our faces.

Lighten up not like this is an Avs board

Just now, Alienhuggyflow said:

This is a nucks board and nothing wrong with pointing out flaws when that's all any fanbase does with Quinn and love shoving Cale in our faces.

Hughes relies on Petterssen, etc too to get his points.

Thats why it’s a team game.

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Not being an avs board is irrelevant. It’s pathetic to see other good young dmen like Chychrun and Makar slagged on here because Hughes hasn’t been as good as they have yet. Being a fan doesn’t mean you have to be that stupid and insecure.

First I love that we won, Chicago Blackhawks are an awful franchise for so many reasons. It feels great to beat them in their own building.

That said I’m still seeing the same mistakes made in positioning on the PP, PK, defensive zone and offensive zone. Even Hirsch was puzzled by how the Canucks defended. Giveaways, bad passes and timing is off, but that’s because no one’s played together in preseason and we added a whole bunch of new faces. That can be fixed over time as guys learn the tendencies of the other players. The other problems are consistently present everywhere on the ice and it’s yet another game we could have got another too many men penalty. I think that’s on coaching.

I want Green to make me look like an idiot as we go on a win streak, make the playoffs and win against a team or two. I’m just skeptical he’s the right guy to do that with.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1