The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Oct. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, 133 games is the cutoff because Bobby Orr had almost 400 points by age 23. He didn’t get his first 100 points within his first 133 games as he started playing at age 18. That is why Orr is not on the list. 

What is the point of complaining about Bobby Orr not being on the list at age 23, has nothing to do with Quinn. He is not on the list because he on one all by himself. How is Quinn mile stone of 100 points in anyway stat picking or pumping him up to better then he is. Again 133 game has no baring on Orr it is only the amount of games it took Quinn to get 100 points. You are making an argument for the point of arguing. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

The question is not whether you perform better when playing with the best player, the question is how good of a player Makar is compared to Hughes.

You'd have to read the whole thing to know what we are debating about and clearly the guy I was debating with also doesn't even remember what we are talking so I don't expect that you'd know.

it sounds like pointless hypothetical nonsense like 5 year olds on the playground arguing about whose dad would win in a fight. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, khay said:

I presented numbers and showed how much better Makar is because of MacKinnon and presented the reason as to why I think Makar's defensive numbers look better than Hughes.  Have you looked up Hughes number with EP?

Elias Pettersson CF% with Hughes: 56.32.

Elias Pettersson CF% without Hughes: 49.06.

Hughes without Pettersson CF%: 49.74.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20182019&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=t&playerid=8480800

It's safe to say, that they both prop up each other's numbers.

How about Boeser?

Boeser CF% with Hughes: 53.33

Boeser CF% without Hughes:46.68. 

Boeser is a significantly worse player without Hughes.

Just look up the numbers yourself. If you want to argue that our players are as dynamic as MacKinnon, then go ahead with your blind unashamed homerism.

Stop with your childish arguments. "You've never watched him play. You just trying to blah blah blahs." 

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Someone put up Hughes comparable numbers since this tool bag is conveniently ignoring doing so because he knows what they will show. That his argument is true for pretty much any player and doesn’t mean they are garbage without the best players.

Here, I've done your homework for you. That toolbag you were talking to, he's a real toolbag (don't know what that is, but it takes $hit to recognize a $hit). But he does know how to look up the numbers at least. You clearly don't because you have to ask "someone".

"Someone! help! I don't know how to look up numbers but this toolbag on CDC is kicking my a$$ bahbabhbabh"

:bigblush:

2 minutes ago, khay said:

lol whatever man.

I didn't say everything Makar does is a direct result of simply playing with Mac. Just go read the posts.

Anyways, I'm done with you. Can't argue with a child the whole day, even though today is a day off and I'm bored :p

I'm just gonna go to the MacDonal's get a medium coffee and see if I have any chance at winning that impossible Monopoly game.

Have a nice day :)

Lol you said his offense and defense are only because of MacKinnon. Is there some other aspect of the game of hockey I am missing that would actually not be dependent completely on MacKinnon?

Honestly, call me a child if you must. At least I understand hockey and are not so insecure about Hughes weaknesses that I need to twist as hard as you to $&!# on Makar.

Benning would trade Hughes for Makar in a heartbeat. 

Just now, tas said:

it sounds like pointless hypothetical nonsense like 5 year olds on the playground arguing about whose dad would win in a fight. 

Can't say you are wrong.

I'm as guilty as charged.

I like my daddy Hughes better than wallstreetflamingo's daddy Makar.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, khay said:

Here, I've done your homework for you. That toolbag you were talking to, he's a real toolbag (don't know what that is, but it takes $hit to recognize a $hit). But he does know how to look up the numbers at least. You clearly don't because you have to ask "someone".

"Someone! help! I don't know how to look up numbers but this toolbag on CDC is kicking my a$$ bahbabhbabh"

:bigblush:

Oh I have looked up the numbers bud. I know exactly what they show. The question is, do you?

1 minute ago, khay said:

Can't say you are wrong.

I'm as guilty as charged.

I like my daddy Hughes better than wallstreetflamingo's daddy Makar.

I like Hughes AND Makar. $&!#ting on Makar doesn’t make Hughes better. And vice versa. They both are great young players and like all players have weaknesses too.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol you said his offense and defense are only because of MacKinnon. Is there some other aspect of the game of hockey I am missing that would actually not be dependent completely on MacKinnon?

Honestly, call me a child if you must. At least I understand hockey and are not so insecure about Hughes weaknesses that I need to twist as hard as you to $&!# on Makar.

Benning would trade Hughes for Makar in a heartbeat. 

Good place to end it like you said last night?

No hard feeling from my side, I hope you don't take it too hard. 

Sometimes these meaningless $hit gets taken too far and my apologies if I've provoked you beyond your acceptable level.

I respect your opinion on Makar and I think he is a great player. He was voted #2 on Norris for a reason.

Anyways, I'm done. This is the last one on Makar vs Hughes for me (for now at least).

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makar isn’t garbage without Mac.  Makar is garbage when he needs to process quickly and move the puck.  

I think Makar is just having to figure out how to deal with even more attention being placed on him as the guy on the Av's blue line, especially without Ryan Graves.  I think that's a huge change for him as Graves is a big, steady LHD partner whereas none of Byram, Girard or Toews really fit that bill.

Makar was OK for the most part last year (obviously aided by Mackinnon's presence but even in games that Mackinnon missed), but the whole team is struggling a bit this year with Mackinnon out.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I like Hughes AND Makar. $&!#ting on Makar doesn’t make Hughes better. And vice versa. They both are great young players and like all players have weaknesses too.

Makar plays for the enemy!  Can’t you figure that out?  This is our team’s board.  Go to the Av’s board and post positive things about Makar there.  

Watch Makar play.  He actually is kind of a dumb at processing.  His default is to try and skate with the puck.  That’s a HUGE problem against good teams, especially as the heat of games (like in playoffs) ramps up.  Hughes is a much better player.  

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Makar is just having to figure out how to deal with even more attention being placed on him as the guy on the Av's blue line, especially without Ryan Graves.  I think that's a huge change for him as Graves is a big, steady LHD partner whereas none of Byram, Girard or Toews really fit that bill.

Makar was OK for the most part last year (obviously aided by Mackinnon's presence but even in games that Mackinnon missed), but the whole team is struggling a bit this year with Mackinnon out.

Colorado has had a lot of guys in and out of their lineup so far. Makar was awesome last year. Let’s be fair.

Hughes was garbage defensively last year without Tanev and once teams started figuring his preferred moves out. That happens to all young players though as they move into prominent roles. It is happening to Makar now as you say.

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Nah.  Makar is what we are seeing now.  He’s not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Colorado has had a lot of guys in and out of their lineup so far. Makar was awesome last year. Let’s be fair.

Hughes was garbage defensively last year without Tanev and once teams started figuring his preferred moves out. That happens to all young players though as they move into prominent roles. It is happening to Makar now as you say.

Makar is minus 9!  He has to actually play now, and he stinks.  He is too slow processing the game.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Makar is minus 9!  He has to actually play now, and he stinks.  He is too slow processing the game.  

Funny how many people bashed Hughes for his +/- but are now defending Makar for his.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt because the Avs are missing players, but not Hughes for the same thing last year plus COVID?

Canucks fans are a fickle bunch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Funny how many people bashed Hughes for his +/- but are now defending Makar for his.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt because the Avs are missing players, but not Hughes for the same thing last year plus COVID?

Plus minus is the most useless stand alone stay in hockey. 

I never said anything negative about Hughes plus minus last year. My comments were always about his actual play not a team stat.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Ok yeah no argument there. They cherry pick stats all the time or tv stations would not have any graphics of players to put upto hype up the game

Like all that hype about McDavid and his 100 point quest. 

They had to say FASTEST player to hit 100 pts (in 25 years) because he's still behind a whole bunch of other players who did it in 53 games or less but it won't fit the narrative of fastest player to hit 100 pts. 

I got flamed for comparing McDavid to Hawerchuk or Stastny.   Despite both those guys doing basically the same thing lol.   Funny thing about "save percentage" .... if you want to play average save percentages then sure, then take  5% away that's about it....It's not like they wouldn't do it in today's game too, with carbon fibre sticks ....  no redline etc... what really gets my goat is it's just ridiculously easy to go all the way back to Eddie Shore's days, just compare each decade, guys in their early 30's to guys in their early 20's all the way back. Or even mid 30's in some cases to guys isn't their mid 20's.    Also wonder if some guys in this era would even survive hockey 20 plus years ago.   McDavid is a waif really.   So was Gretzky so guess he'd make it.  Gartners time still hasn't been beat done the same way yet either but nobody talks about that, or how old he was when he did it.   Add a pass and see what happens ... it changed the game. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

and weirdly, their double standards go AGAINST the team they claim to cheer for. 

honestly, it's just a bunch of little wannabe sat shahs and thomas drances. they talk into the mirror pretending they're some expert analyst or insider, ragging on the team with most hyperbolic garbage imaginable all in the name of being "objective" because they wouldn't want to be seen as the worst thing alive, a homer (aka a fan). it's embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3