The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alec Baldwin Fires Prop Gun On Set Accidentally Killing Cinematographer

-DLC-

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s nay creating more ammunition for a civil suit.  He’s going to get crucified civilly by that girl he shot family.

The same family he had a breakfast with, a couple of days after the shooting?

Nah, I think he's fine there.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was a Colt era replica, wasn’t it?  He had to pull the trigger to get the hammer back.  He’s done himself very badly (in the upcoming civil cases) with speaking publicly.  He’s going to lose all his money, his house, and all his wealth.  And well he should.  He still might go to prison.  He will not do well in prison.  

Is he?

That's some tough stuff. I don't know film set protocol.

If an expert that I hired told me this prop is safe to use, I would trust them.

If an accident happened I would raise my eyebrow at that employee.

FWIW the assistant director backs up Baldwin’s version of events.

After Alec Baldwin claimed he never pulled the trigger on the prop gun that discharged on the set of the movie Rust and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, the film's assistant director is backing him up.

Baldwin sat down with ABC News for his first TV interview about the accidental on-set shooting, and in a clip released by the network, the actor said he "didn't pull the trigger," as he would "never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them." An attorney for Rust assistant director Dave Halls told ABC that Halls has also said this.

"He told me since day one he thought it was a misfire," attorney Lisa Torraco said of her client. "...And until Alec said that, it was just really hard to believe, but Dave has told me since the very first day I met him that Alec did not pull that trigger."

Torraco also told ABC that according to Halls, "the entire time, Baldwin had his finger outside the trigger guard, parallel to the barrel."

Alec needs to spend the rest of his life in jail, there is no way that style of gun goes off without the trigger being pulled (if you disagree you have never handled this style of firearm), also he broke every rule in gun safety by not "prove" or ACTS(ing) the gun, when it was given to him. When you hold a gun in your hand regardless of who gave it to you, you're responsible for what happens.

Edited by KelownaCanucksFan
  • Cheers 1

On 12/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, 4petesake said:

FWIW the assistant director backs up Baldwin’s version of events.

After Alec Baldwin claimed he never pulled the trigger on the prop gun that discharged on the set of the movie Rust and killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, the film's assistant director is backing him up.

Baldwin sat down with ABC News for his first TV interview about the accidental on-set shooting, and in a clip released by the network, the actor said he "didn't pull the trigger," as he would "never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them." An attorney for Rust assistant director Dave Halls told ABC that Halls has also said this.

"He told me since day one he thought it was a misfire," attorney Lisa Torraco said of her client. "...And until Alec said that, it was just really hard to believe, but Dave has told me since the very first day I met him that Alec did not pull that trigger."

Torraco also told ABC that according to Halls, "the entire time, Baldwin had his finger outside the trigger guard, parallel to the barrel."

he's a lying sac of garbage, its impossible for that gun to fire without the trigger being pulled

On 12/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, bishopshodan said:

Is he?

That's some tough stuff. I don't know film set protocol.

If an expert that I hired told me this prop is safe to use, I would trust them.

If an accident happened I would raise my eyebrow at that employee.

doesn't matter what the prop person told him, when you handle a firearm its YOUR responsibility to prove (or ACTS) the firearm and make sure it is safe, also just by looking in the cylinder you would see the front of the bullet and realize that it wasn't a blank but a real bullet

All gunowners and users are taught this, and almost all of us follow this 

Assume every firearm is loaded, 
Control the muzzle direction at all times

Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard. 

See that the firearm is unloaded

Edited by KelownaCanucksFan

On 12/5/2021 at 2:33 PM, Alflives said:

What this does show is the US has a love affair with gun violence.  They are completely messed up and backwards.  They have actors, who clearly know nothing about firearm safety, shooting guns.  Totally stupid.  

Isn't Baldwin producing this movie?  He’s responsible for everything, no?  Civil action against him, and his production company.  It’s going to cost him everything.  

There is many stringent laws and training required to handle guns on set, you know nothing of what you speak of. An actor like Baldwin has had hundreds of hours of training on guns, gun safety and handling during his career

5 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

doesn't matter what the prop person told him, when you handle a firearm its YOUR responsibility to prove (or ACTS) the firearm and make sure it is safe, also just by looking in the cylinder you would see the front of the bullet and realize that it wasn't a blank but a real bullet

Yeah, I was responding to the idea that he will be charged and lose all his money. Pointing out that there must be set protocol. I would think that the experts that handled the gun and told him it was safe might be in some trouble though.I'm more concerned about how a live round made it on set in the first place. Ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

TEXAS LEGISLATURE 2021

Texans can carry handguns without a license or training starting Sept. 1, after Gov. Greg Abbott signs permitless carry bill into law

I can't imagine living in fear so much that I had to carry a gun around.

They have made being scared and paranoid part of their culture that they celebrate. 

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

he's a lying sac of garbage, its impossible for that gun to fire without the trigger being pulled

This vid explains things pretty good regarding the hammer.

The only thing that sucks is he is not demoing with the actual Pietta replica that Alex was using, instead it's real Colt.

His explanation would seem 100% if that was the case and would leave no doubt that Alex's claim of the hammer going off without pulling the trigger is a lie. 

Edit: After a google search... looks like the guy in the vid does have some holes in his analysis..,

Analysis: Alec Baldwin’s Gun Could Have Fired Without Him Pulling the Trigger, But Did It?

https://thereload.com/analysis-yes-alec-baldwins-gun-could-have-fired-without-him-pulling-the-trigger/

“Well, the trigger wasn’t pulled,” he told ABC News. “I didn’t pull the trigger.”

At first glance, this sounds far-fetched. It is exceedingly rare for a gun to fire without the trigger being depressed. Modern firearms, even replicas of antique guns, have safeties specifically designed to prevent them from firing without the trigger being pulled. It only really happens when the gun’s firing mechanism is damaged, or there is a significant design flaw.

That’s why most gun owners and firearms safety trainers are highly skeptical of any claim a gun just “went off” absent user error.

In Baldwin’s case, though, the claim is at least somewhat more believable. That’s because the gun involved is more prone to firing without the trigger being pulled. And, even though it’s a modern replica of an antique design, it’s possible it did not include modern safety devices.

Edited by bishopshodan

8 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Isn't ACTS a Canadian set of guidelines?

Does this somehow translate into a legal requirement in the US?

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Isn't ACTS a Canadian set of guidelines?

Does this somehow translate into a legal requirement in the US?

Ya, plus this doesn't really apply in this situation.  If this production had followed the protocols (especially the ones put in place after Brandon Lee's death), this wouldn't have happened.  Everything they were doing in setting up the scene could have gone down without a hitch if those protocols had been followed.  This is on the armourer, the AD, and whoever brought the live ammo on the set. 

The only liability for Baldwin could be in his capacity as a producer and the safety issues that were happening prior to the incident.  This would also hinge on whether he was an active producer, or just one in name only in order to make the numbers work in accounting (this was a somewhat low budget production).

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1