The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Flying Skate Jersey Could be Making a Comeback

Rate this topic

Me_

4 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

So your opinion is the current iteration is the best and for those of us that prefer the 90s one and we just want what we can't have basically?

So your choice is fine because it's the right choice but the ones that don't line up with you are equalivent to a 3 year old having a temper tantrum over a cookie?

How very condensing of you.

People who like the flying skate like it for lots of reasons not because the grass is greener, sure for some fans that jersey reminds them of a team that was all heart and played above their weight class but many grew up without it and just like the way it looks.

Ah, an unironic "So you're saying" meme.

Pretty hypocritical of you to call me condescending when you handwave away an argument I never made.

9 hours ago, McBackup said:

No. This is so dumb, I'm so sick of hearing it. The "blue and green are too passive" idea is middle schooler psychology that lead to us having the flying V's. The Canucks have a beautiful, fitting, unique colour scheme and they need to actually stick with it rather than switch to a generic Pittsburgh/Boston/Vegas/Calgary knock off. 

The "intimidation" idea is so dumb. No grown man being paid millions of dollars to play a game is going to be scared by what the opposition is wearing. Otherwise Pittsburgh would have been a dumpster fire the past 15 years and the Panthers would have 12 cups because Panthers are more intimidating than Penguins. Tampa is a garbage team because blue and white is too calm of a colour scheme. While we're at it lets change the name of the team to "Super Killer Death Whales" to really make our opponents shake in their boots.

I guarantee you that if we went back to the skate colours, within ~5 years everybody would be clamouring for blue and green to come back because its always grass-is-greenerism. I remember back in 2007 when the team started wearing the stick-in-rink as thirds, everybody wanted the team to go back to blue and green, the Germany colours were an afterthought. The Skate jerseys were a fun throwback, and they'd be fine as a third, but thats it. 

This team needs to build a consistent identity around a consistent look, not switch it around every few years because the fans inexplicably seem think changing back to a jersey they never won in will help them win.

The first Orca was a terrible jersey.   Not many fans liked it better then what we had, at least they fixed the colour scheme.   Back then most of the league was going black or as dark as possible, Dallas and Buffalo lol... it wasn't  just us changing.    Like it or not, the ones we have now (any Orca) never wins an actual poll, the Skate does.   Fans like it more, and it doesn't copy other teams - it morphed from the V and nothing in the league has looked like that before or since (lol).   Vegas? Bruins, Phi, PIT?   Don't see the similarities.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm still a fan of the "stick in rink" from 1970, and a lot of the fans from that period are deceased, so they can't really give an opinion.

I suspect that this enduring popularity of the skate has more to do with the number of people who were fans during that period. Were the team to win a Cup with the current jersey, I suspect that the popularity of the skate would dwindle.

regards,  G.

Rumour is it will become our third Jersey (Skate)...what happens if we need a boost during the playoffs, they come out with the Skate, win, and they decide to keep wearing it until we lose a game, we win 10 in a row and the cup?   Mind blown.  Lol.    Horvat looked like a total boss in it last season, the players love it too.   

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

Its completely arbitrary. You're choosing the particular parameters you want to make your case. I could do the exact same with points, presidents trophys, Art Ross Winners, playoff series, etc. 

It's going to be pretty hard to beat the Skate over any consecutive 15 year period ... when it comes to playoff series or games played etc.    Quin beats out AV for five years and 61 playoff games as a coach ... to AV 7 years and 67 - and that's with the "best team we've ever had".     Pretty hard to break 100 points pre loser points too.   Did Toronto even manage that?   Don't think so, although the Sundin team  might have managed it once before the lockout i think.    None of this really matters, but the "math" you've referred too,  even now, with all these new fans the WCE and Sedin teams created they weren't around for the Skate, in a polling (not the CDC) the Skate still comes out on top.   Fans themselves never wanted a change.  Most (like myself) have come to accept it.....

Can add even players on the best blue and green orca's begged to wear it.    And it was sure awesome to see it last season, was such a hit they added games as well.    The article in question suggests it's going to become our new third jersey, which for fans like me is probably the best we can hope for.   Because it could end up going the way of the Kachina, and making a full comeback at some point.   If the players and the fans want it, you just never know.  It for sure was the most successful playoff chapter of our franchise, highlighted with the Linden teams which won an average of over 12 playoff games a year under Quin.   Also why i voted for Quin over AV as best coach - he got more from his troops then anyone else when it really mattered. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm still a fan of the "stick in rink" from 1970, and a lot of the fans from that period are deceased, so they can't really give an opinion.

I suspect that this enduring popularity of the skate has more to do with the number of people who were fans during that period. Were the team to win a Cup with the current jersey, I suspect that the popularity of the skate would dwindle.

regards,  G.

I was there for that.......one of the worst logos in sports history, imo.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Funny how the design "experts" have come around to really like it though.   It's the only logo we've had that made the cut in THN ranking of the best uniforms etc that we've had... to me it looks better with our colour scheme then the Orca ... but that's just me.   Plus hard to count logo's they were around when your just a kid .. I was there too, Bobby Clarke was my favourite because i liked his smile and his awesome hair.   

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Honestly if you want an unbiased opinion from a asthetic point of view, the skate jersey with those color patterns looks better than the corporate orca logo. IMO it makes more sense because of the name of the team which shows that we are canadians or Canucks by using an ice hockey skate that represents Canadians love for hockey and their best sport. The Orca logo was a corporate logo that does not have anything to do with the team name. There is a huge disconnect. Look at the logos and the coresponding team names around the league and then look at our logo. The mistake was by Aqualini not going back to the skate logo once they bought the team. Now am not sure they will ever change it.

A logo doesn't have to do with a team name.  Buffalo for the longest time didn't have a Sabre.  The Habs, Rangers, Capitals don't have a logo that represents the team name.  If you wanted something to do with the Canucks name, the only thing you could do is slap Johnny Canuck on as the logo.  A skate does not represent our team name at all.

Now to the bolded part.  The Orca is part of our culture of people here in the Pacific Northwest.  Our Canucks are only represented here in this part of the country, why would we want to try and represent people from Alberta and East of us?  The orca is a symbol we use here on the West Coast.  That is the reason why that corporation had orca in its name to begin with.  The Orca has infinitely more representation of us from BC, than a skate which is such a generic hockey logo, that it is probably what several teams use as a logo in peewee hockey.  Actually, if you think about it long enough, the logo sounds so amateurish for a professional hockey team to use.  The Vancouver Flying Skates.  Yes, that sounds like a peewee team for sure.  Actually, I believe that was a team name in my younger brother's peewee league.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

The first Orca was a terrible jersey.   Not many fans liked it better then what we had, at least they fixed the colour scheme.   Back then most of the league was going black or as dark as possible, Dallas and Buffalo lol... it wasn't  just us changing.    Like it or not, the ones we have now (any Orca) never wins an actual poll, the Skate does.   Fans like it more, and it doesn't copy other teams - it morphed from the V and nothing in the league has looked like that before or since (lol).   Vegas? Bruins, Phi, PIT?   Don't see the similarities.   

Why do fans like it?  Because they grew up with it.  The Orca is just as unique and it with its colour scheme represents the Pacific Northwest way better.  The only reason people would have a dislike for it is because it's the new logo they got after their favourite one got removed.  I, for one, would hate any new logo that got plastered on that wasn't the Orca...because I grew up with the Orca.  I also grew up with the stick in rink as the third jersey, and both my brother and I hated it.  We thought it was so bland compared to the Orca.  Like who wants to come into a game with a freaking hockey stick on their chest lolol.  I assume 30 years from now, everyone would love the Orca, because all the vocal fans then would have grown up with the Orca.

I know there is no winning in my argument, because design is completely subjective, however the Orca represents the Pacific Northwest, is sharper, more modern, and has had the best team in Canuck's history to ever play.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Cool.

I feel the original was/is symbolic of the time when the team was created. The skate never really worked for me, but I do acknowledge that some/many like it for whatever reason(s) they may have. 

I guess it could be worse. We could be talking about bringing the return of the "V"... or maybe adopting the logo from the Vancouver Voodoo.

Vancouver_Voodoo.png

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

An interesting thing I've noticed is that while many fans from the 90s or late 80s go nuts over the Skate nostalgia, I don't see the same thing from older fans from prior eras, like the Flying V or Sitck 'N Rink era, though there may be some exceptions. I suspect fans who've seen so much change over the years aren't keen on yet another change, but also don't have the nostalgia tied with the Skate, since their nostalgia logo would be the Flying V or Stick 'N Rink.

@smithers joe @Rick Blight @RUPERTKBD What are your opinions on the Skate logo and the idea of switching back to it? Genuinely curious to know what older fans think and if my theory holds true.

TBH AJ, from day 1, I've never looked at a Canucks logo and said "that's the one".

While the "Orca" logo doesn't excite me, it's at least somewhat representative of the team's locale. For me, a piece of hockey equipment like a stick or a skate, is just a bit too generic.

I also prefer the Blue and Green color scheme over the Black, red and gold.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

An interesting thing I've noticed is that while many fans from the 90s or late 80s go nuts over the Skate nostalgia, I don't see the same thing from older fans from prior eras, like the Flying V or Sitck 'N Rink era, though there may be some exceptions. I suspect fans who've seen so much change over the years aren't keen on yet another change, but also don't have the nostalgia tied with the Skate, since their nostalgia logo would be the Flying V or Stick 'N Rink.

@smithers joe @Rick Blight @RUPERTKBD What are your opinions on the Skate logo and the idea of switching back to it? Genuinely curious to know what older fans think and if my theory holds true.

I am a traditionalist so I still prefer the stick in rink originals. However, from a pure aesthetic look the skate jerseys were the absolute best.

I really don't like the current jerseys and would be happy to go back to either of the above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I am a traditionalist so I still prefer the stick in rink originals. However, from a pure aesthetic look the skate jerseys were the absolute best.

I really don't like the current jerseys and would be happy to go back to either of the above.

I know you followed the WHL Canucks too. Do you like the idea of Johnny Canuck jerseys for that reason as well or no?

I kind of wish the black, red, yellows didn't even exist as much as I like them.  Make them make sense.  What's so great about the logo, it's a skate pointed into the ice.  What part of Vancouver and our Province are represented by these colours?   Make them make sense!  Maybe they can brand them as East Van Canucks with the East Van cross or something.  Making them make sense is not arguing the counterpoint that our current jersey may not make a lot of sense either.  Uniforms is something the NHL can really improve on, but make teams stick with colours, use modern variations of the colours.  Canucks colours are blue, green, white.  

Edited by Comeback_Kings

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I know you followed the WHL Canucks too. Do you like the idea of Johnny Canuck jerseys for that reason as well or no?

Yes, I always thought our WHL jersey with the Johnny Canuck was one of, if not the best logos in the WHL. The only other comparable for me was the Seattle Totems logo.

I would have no issue at all going back to that jersey.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Yes, I always thought our WHL jersey with the Johnny Canuck was one of, if not the best logos in the WHL. The only other comparable for me was the Seattle Totems logo.

I would have no issue at all going back to that jersey.

What about the rangers colouring with the Canucks words on it 

9 hours ago, McBackup said:

I'm not even going to get into a logo discussion. The problem with the Canucks is that they've never had a truly good logo. They're all seriously flawed in some way or another so everybody just picks their personal  favourite as the "best" one.

However, the hill I will die on is the colours. Whatever logo they slap on the front, they should never stray from the blue and green again. 

Why do people love the blue and green color scheme? Is it because we are in the pacific northwest and blue and green represent the ocean and the forest? I think the black, red and yellow is a better color scheme. Am in the opinion that colors dont need to represent a place or be a symbol for anything because there are some color combinations that just clash and dont look good together. The skate logo was the best logo Canucks had out of all their logos. The stick in a rink is really old and very simple logo but there was continuation of a theme with the skate logo as both represent hockey. Then all of a sudden they changed to Orca which disrupted that continuation. The Orca should have never been our permanent logo but now they have had this logo for more than 20 years so its too bad that it will probably be this same logo for a long time.

53 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I kind of wish the black, red, yellows didn't even exist as much as I like them.  Make them make sense.  What's so great about the logo, it's a skate pointed into the ice.  What part of Vancouver and our Province are represented by these colours?   Make them make sense!  Maybe they can brand them as East Van Canucks with the East Van cross or something.  Making them make sense is not arguing the counterpoint that our current jersey may not make a lot of sense either.  Uniforms is something the NHL can really improve on, but make teams stick with colours, use modern variations of the colours.  Canucks colours are blue, green, white.  

I have the same question about Orca. What does an Orca have to do with the name Canucks? The skate logo represents hockey just like stick in the rink. They are representing a Canadian game, hence the name Canucks as Canadians are usually associated with the sport of hockey and being best at it. The Orca logo represents an animal and it is not related to the name Canucks. This corporate logo represents Orca sports and entertainment and has nothing to do with history of Canucks. Heck even the johnny canuck or that canuck aviator logo makes more sense than the orca logo.

• Vintage 1