The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Let's get Kraken: Canucks @ Kraken - Oct 23rd, 2021, 7:00pm PST

Rate this topic

therodigy

I say we take this one. The Nucks will be amped to set the tone on our new Pac Coast rivals and spoil their opener. We have played at times like we're still in preseason mode cuz of all the new faces and line combos, also due to lack of practice time. But I think we'll see our guys gelling today and playing a lot sharper.

We win 5-2. Let's get kraken!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• therodigy changed the title to [GDT] Let's get Kraken: Canucks @ Kraken - Oct 23st, 2021, 7:00pm PST
  • therodigy changed the title to [GDT] Let's get Kraken: Canucks @ Kraken - Oct 23rd, 2021, 7:00pm PST

Should be an exciting game.   Seattle actually has a very good defense and of course a world class goalie.   Their forwards not so much.    Feel we should be the better team, considering our AHL team did just fine against virtually the same roster lol.   It is the Canucks soooo...won't jinx it but we are well know for being a footnote in milestones for other teams and stuff - this time it should be the team whom the Kraken played and gave them their first home loss.    5-2 Canucks sounds about right. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Did the boys sleep in their own beds last night? If so, are they bussing it to Seattle? What a novel idea. :) 

Hoping Petey and Bo have blow out games tonight.

I would sincerely doubt it, but I guess I could be wrong. why cross the border more times than necessary and add extra travel miles?

It’s the inaugural home opener for the Kraken, the NHL’s 32nd team. The Canucks have helped a few teams launch into the NHL, like the San Jose Sharks three decades ago and the Vegas Golden Knights just four seasons ago, so this is old hat for Canucks fans. Still, there’s always a buzz ahead of the first time and the pre-game spectacle alone should be worth watching.

THREE THINGS

… about the Canucks

• No defenceman has taken more shots so far this season than the Canucks’ Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who has taken 20 shots already this season. That’s four shots per game. In his career, he’s averaged about 2.5 shots per game.

• The Canucks are shooting just 5.13 per cent while Elias Pettersson is on the ice. Generally the Canucks’ shooting percentage with him on the ice is at least twice that. So, that number will track up … and all of a sudden chatter about his performance will likely calm down. He hasn’t been his classic self, but he also missed most of the pre-season and he hasn’t been as terrible as people seem to think he’s been.

• The Canucks’ ability to get shots from the inside continues to be a question mark, after they again struggled to generate opportunities near the net against Chicago on Thursday. They did better at capitalizing on their opportunities at least.

Seattle Kraken players kneel on the ice at their training facility as head coach Dave Hakstol outlines a play during practice, Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021, in Seattle. The Kraken will face the Vancouver Canucks, Saturday in Seattle for the expansion team’s home opener.
Seattle Kraken players kneel and pray (Deb's words) on the ice at their training facility as head coach Dave Hakstol outlines a play during practice, Thursday, Oct. 21, 2021, in Seattle. The Kraken will face the Vancouver Canucks, Saturday in Seattle for the expansion team’s home opener. PHOTO BY TED S. WARREN /AP

… about the Kraken (no one cares)

• Seattle opened the season on a five-game road trip, winning just once. They’ve struggled to generate offence, having scored only one goal in each of their last four games. (oh wait, maybe we do!)

• In goal, Philip Grubauer has been inconsistent, a far cry from the goalie who was a Vezina finalist last season.

• The Kraken appear to be over their early-season COVID scare. Calle Järnkrok tested positive three days after facing the Canucks in pre-season but was cleared from isolation this week. In the days following, a handful of teammates initially tested positive but then were negative on further tests, clearing them to play. A couple other staff members tested positive, as did radio play by play man Everett Fitzhugh, but everyone has come through with a clean bill of health.

LINES, DEFENCE AND GOALIES

Vancouver Canucks

Forwards

JT Miller — Elias Petterson — Brock Boeser

Tanner Pearson — Bo Horvat — Conor Garland

Matthew Highmore — Jason Dickinson — Nils Höglander

Justin Dowling — Juho Lammikko — Alex Chiasson

Defence

Oliver Ekman-Larsson — Tyler Myers

Quinn Hughes — Tucker Poolman

Jack Rathbone — Kyle Burroughs

Goalies

Thatcher Demko — Jaroslav Halák

Seattle Kraken

Forwards

Jaden Schwartz — Yanni Gourde — Jordan Eberle

Brandon Tanev — Jared McCann — Morgan Geekie

Nathan Basitan — Alex Wennberg — Joonas Donskoi

Ryan Donato — Riley Sheahan — Mason Appleton

Defence

Adam Larsson — Jamie Oleksiak

Mark Giordano — Carson Soucy

Jeremy Lauzon — Vince Dunn

Goalies

Philipp Grubauer — Joey Daccord

11 hours ago, Googlie said:

From the Kraken fans perspective ........

According to these guys, the Kraken line up will be the same as in practice this week which is:

Schwartz  Gourde  Jarnkrok

McCann  Wennberg  Eberle

Tanev  Geekie  Donskoi

Bastian  Sheahan  Appleton

Giordano  Oleksiak

Soucy  Dunn

Lauzon  Larsson

Grubauer

Edited by Crabcakes

5 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

the Nucks better  be careful tonight... the league will call penalties on them for breathing on a Kraken in their home opener. 

"Two minutes for violating the space of Seattle".   New penalty for Seattle called the Space Need All.

(I'm sorry...ok, I'll show myself the door now)

• Haha 2