The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Let's get Kraken: Canucks @ Kraken - Oct 23rd, 2021, 7:00pm PST

Rate this topic

therodigy

14 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Actually looks like a good lineup.

Probably better than what Vegas started with.

Erm... I don't think so. The results for VGK were almost instantaneous. With Seattle, it's been lackluster. I mean I think the Canucks are playing lackluster as well, but I think the Canucks can beat Seattle for sure.

24 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Should be on Peteys wing.  

I have firm belief he'd be great jumper cables to try and get Petey's battery going again. His aggressiveness on the forecheck could really lead to turnovers which might open pockets for EP where he could start to capitalize from again. Push the play closer to the net. Less perimeter attack (unless its Hughes or OEL teeing up). Accuracy needs to improve down low.

Edited by RWJC

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Erm... I don't think so. The results for VGK were almost instantaneous. With Seattle, it's been lackluster. I mean I think the Canucks are playing lackluster as well, but I think the Canucks can beat Seattle for sure.

Vegas' results were unexpected.   Nearly every predictions had them at the bottom of the standings and missing the playoffs.

Vegas themselves never expected to be competitive and had a 4-5 year timeline to get into the playoffs per McPhee.  They were telling teams that they were willing to leverage their cap space.  They were looking for futures and prospects because they didn't see themselves competitive before a few years.  

This was Vegas's opening lineup.  Haula was a 4th liner for the Wild.  So was Karlsson for CBJ.  Ironically both teams still looking for top-6 Cs.  Haula was a solid C2 for Vegas but that terrible knee injury derailed things.  Neal had been taken off the top line in Nashville.  Smith was a cap dump for Florida.  Trotz called Schmidt a D7 and healthy scratched him over 20 games.  Garrisson was a cap dump.  Pittsburgh paid a 2nd round pick for Vegas to pick Fleury. 

Perron Eakin Neal

Marchessault Haula Smith

Karlsson Lindberg Leipsic

Carrier Bellemare Nosek

Sbisa Schmidt

McNabb Engelland

Garrison Miller

Fleury / Subban

One thing I noticed the last few games in regards to the bad defensive zone play is that the Canucks cheat to the puck carrier side of the ice, so if they get control and try to reverse around the board it’s always picked up by the opposing team. They need the  LW/RW to stay top of the circle and covering the defenseman at the point. It provides an outlet pass as well as allows them to reverse the puck around the boards without it being intercepted. Cheating a 5 man unit to one side of the ice is a horrible idea. Spread out, cover your assignment, and press the puck carrier. Reversing the puck around the boards to get out of the zone only works if you have someone to pass it to. 

I’m not pretending to know how to coach in the NHL but it’s a consistency I’ve noticed that causes them to get trapped a lot. 

Edited by Petey40