The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cargo Ship That Lost Containers Is Now On Fire With Hazardous Material On Board

-DLC-

https://globalnews.ca/news/8292259/lost-cargo-ship-fire-mv-zim-kingston/

Officials say the crew of a cargo ship anchored near Victoria that caught fire Saturday morning may need to be fully evacuated.

70c8fc80

16 crew members were taken to Victoria’s Ogden Point by the Coast Guard Saturday evening. Five others remain onboard.

A Canadian Coast Guard spokesperson said flames broke out on the MV Zim Kingston around 11 a.m. Saturday, and were related to two damaged containers carrying hazardous materials. It is the same vessel that lost an estimated 35-40 cargo containers in rough seas west of Vancouver Island on Thursday.

In an update Saturday evening, the Coast Guard said that six containers were on fire, including two carrying a total of 52,080 kgs of UN#3342, class 4.2 of Xanthates (Potassium Amylxanthate), a hazardous material used in mining.

A spokesperson for Maritime Forces Pacific said the vessel’s crew had been trying to fight the fire, but were unable to do so.

The vessel is currently anchored in Constance Bank, a few kilometres south of the capitol.

The Canadian Coast Guard has deployed two vessels which were standing by and ready to assist if an evacuation was needed, while a fireboat from CFB Esquimalt was also responding.

Should the crew be fully evacuated, the spokesperson said firefighting efforts would be led by other vessels.

Click to play video: 'Marine hazard after a ship loses 40 containers overboard near Victoria, B.C.'Marine hazard after a ship loses 40 containers overboard near Victoria, B.C.

Marine hazard after a ship loses 40 containers overboard near Victoria, B.C.

“Any fire onboard a ship is a is a serious event and will garner a lot of attention and a lot of resources very quickly,” said Chamber of Shipping president Robert Lewis-Manning, adding it could take days to put the flames out.

Lewis-Manning said typically it is the responsibility of a ship’s crew to extinguish a fire.

“Their first action is to figure out what is happening on the vessel. It’s a big vessel. It’s 260 metres long or thereabouts, and it’s got thousands of containers on board, so trying to isolate where the problem is,” he said.

“The next step the crew would be concerned about is actually isolating the area and by isolating, I mean, they want to put a cooling boundary around wherever the fire is. It’s not necessarily attacking the fire.”

He said critical support from the coast guard and military would likely involve keeping the ship’s hull cool, but could evolve to providing personnel support to the exhausted crew.

“If there is a positive piece to this, it’s one, it’s not very close to a municipal area like it would be if it were docked in a port like Vancouver and two, there’s a lot of resources locally,” he said.

The fire comes with powerful winds forecast to hit the Greater Victoria area Saturday night and Sunday morning, as a second “bomb cyclone” weather system moves into the region.

Environment Canada has issued a wind warning for the area, with easterly winds of up to 70 km/h developing in the Juan de Fuca strait, potentially challenging the firefighting efforts.

Global News has reached out to Zim Integrated Shipping Services for more details about what is being done to contain the fire and any potential environmental risks.

The MV Kingston was in B.C. at the end of a voyage from South Korea.

On Friday, the U.S. Coast Guard said it had spotted a number of the lost containers floating at sea, some of them on the surface floating north.

U.S. and Canadian mariners are being urged to use caution at sea and to watch for the containers as a possible hazard.

The Canadian Coast Guard is expected to provide another update on the fire Saturday night.

I've been following this story via a Fisherman's page on FB....I have a lot of family/friends in the industry who are quite concerned about this.  This is a disaster in the making here!

With the big storm due to hit, this is quite a worry!

As of 6:30 p.m. Saturday, six containers onboard the ship are currently on fire and two of them contain hazardous material.

A spokesperson for the Canadian Coast Guard told CHEK News in a series of e-mailed statements that the fire began inside damaged containers onboard the vessel and that a lifeboat — called Cape Calvert — is nearby assessing the situation.

There are more than 52,080 kilograms of potassium amylxanthate stored inside two containers on the vessel, according to the spokesperson, who also confirmed that those two containers have caught fire. Potassium amylxanthate is a compound that is often used in the mining industry as a mineral processing agent, according to the U.S. National Center for Biotechnology Information.

A 1.6 kilometre emergency zone has been established around the anchored container ship, as it continues to burn and expel toxic gas.

• Upvote 1

• -DLC- changed the title to Cargo Ship That Lost Containers Is Now On Fire With Hazardous Material On Board

Oh good post deb I was just thinking of posting about this… 

This year has been bad for the shipping industry and now this.

My main concern is the impact on the environment as I read somewhere 40 shipping containers are floating in the sea… with hazardous materials. 

People wrecking the environment for more cheap goods :sadno:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drummer4now said:

Oh good post deb I was just thinking of posting about this… 

This year has been bad for the shipping industry and now this.

My main concern is the impact on the environment as I read somewhere 40 shipping containers are floating in the sea… with hazardous materials. 

People wrecking the environment for more cheap goods :sadno:

Good points drummer!   

I've always been of the "buy cheap/get a deal" mentality mostly because I was a single working Mom on a pretty tight budget.  If I could pay $2 for a brush at the dollar shop it was a no brainer.  But I've really changed that recently.

I mostly look for Canadian made products first and foremost - support our economy.  Quality over quantity.  A good example is face masks...they have boxes of 50 that I can get for $6.00 that I bought until I thought about all the waste involved.  I bought cloth masks that can be washed and am now paying $22 for a pack of 5 Vitacore (made here) as disposable back up masks (my son and I will wear that brand to the game as they offer good protection). The price of us consuming mass quantities of cheap goods is just too high in relation to the toll its taking on our planet.  I've done a complete 180 lately and things that cost more often last longer in the end. 

Those containers out there are a HUGE problem.

• Like 2

In an update Saturday evening, the coast guard said that ten containers were on fire, including two carrying carrying over 52,000 kgs of Potassium Amylxanthate, which is a hazardous material used in mining.

It added that a Hazmat team is mobilizing from Vancouver, while a coast guard ship and tugboat stay nearby to monitor the situation overnight.

Ship container security is through the 4 corner post "toggle" locks, one container to the next from deck upwards. Hence, you have a forest of tall container stacks that are able to flex like trees when a ship rolls and pitches. The engineering of the loads and locations is supposed to be regulated by the data recorded in the "Cargo Securing Manual" by shipper and experts, but it appears to be inadequate in all cases. Add to that, hazardous products, and insufficient security within the container - seems like a strong case to upgrade the regulations and policies on what goes where and what is permitted in these profit based procedures. Things won't change, if the tough questions are raised and discussed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1