The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defence pylon

Rate this topic

Bud Chevy

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I notice a lot of things with our Dmen.

Then I check myself (as much as I can) for confirmation bias.

This definitely goes for Myers.

(And pretty much every Canucks Dman.)

If you go into games thinking Myers tends to make bad pinches, be a little too permissive in the neutral zone, vulnerable to getting walked when defending against quicker, more evasive players, a bit on the lumbering and lazy side in some of his one-on-ones, often overcommits and loses position, and is very likely to take too many bad penalties, you’ll probably get what you’re expecting.

But if you go into games thinking Myers skates very well for a big man, moves the puck really well, has a heavy shot, has good offensive instincts, is very strong and physical and able to overpower most opponents, positions himself well inside his zone, and uses his size and strength effectively to move/freeze players and control space, then you’ll probably also get what you’re expecting.

It’s a fun exercise. Try starting a game and listing in your head the strengths/weaknesses of our Dmen and how you’d definite their overall profiles. Then watch a period of hockey and see how well things line up with your expectations.

Then (and this is the hard part but also the fun part), over the intermission, really try to think about those same players in the opposite manner to your expectations. Then watch the next period. And see how much their play “changes.”

It’s pretty interesting.

I’d actually recommend this mental exercise to some of the people saying Rathbone is a complete defensive liability and should be sent to the AHL. 

And I also recommend it for people who say Myers is a trash player.

He’s not trash. Myers is a solid NHL Dman. Albeit one with flaws and one whose results, especially on the stats side, suggest he’s probably not nearly as good as some of his stronger backers say he is. But he’s also not anywhere close as bad as his haters claim.

I’d say most of the really strong opinions expressed on these boards (especially in the GDTs), either pro or anti, are largely based on biases in those individual viewers’ “eye tests” rather than any kind of objective reality, when it comes to evaluating player performance.

(Not sure if this will be a popular post. :ph34r:)

At first I thought "oh here we go, this is gonna be dumb". By the end of the post I found myself agreeing with you. Which means you've contradicted my bias. So now I don't agree with you any more. :frantic:

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I notice a lot of things with our Dmen.

Then I check myself (as much as I can) for confirmation bias.

This definitely goes for Myers.

(And pretty much every Canucks Dman.)

If you go into games thinking Myers tends to make bad pinches, be a little too permissive in the neutral zone, vulnerable to getting walked when defending against quicker, more evasive players, a bit on the lumbering and lazy side in some of his one-on-ones, often overcommits and loses position, and is very likely to take too many bad penalties, you’ll probably get what you’re expecting.

But if you go into games thinking Myers skates very well for a big man, moves the puck really well, has a heavy shot, has good offensive instincts, is very strong and physical and able to overpower most opponents, positions himself well inside his zone, and uses his size and strength effectively to move/freeze players and control space, then you’ll probably also get what you’re expecting.

It’s a fun exercise. Try starting a game and listing in your head the strengths/weaknesses of our Dmen and how you’d definite their overall profiles. Then watch a period of hockey and see how well things line up with your expectations.

Then (and this is the hard part but also the fun part), over the intermission, really try to think about those same players in the opposite manner to your expectations. Then watch the next period. And see how much their play “changes.”

It’s pretty interesting.

I’d actually recommend this mental exercise to some of the people saying Rathbone is a complete defensive liability and should be sent to the AHL. 

And I also recommend it for people who say Myers is a trash player.

He’s not trash. Myers is a solid NHL Dman. Albeit one with flaws and one whose results, especially on the stats side, suggest he’s probably not nearly as good as some of his stronger backers say he is. But he’s also not anywhere close as bad as his haters claim.

I’d say most of the really strong opinions expressed on these boards (especially in the GDTs), either pro or anti, are largely based on biases in those individual viewers’ “eye tests” rather than any kind of objective reality, when it comes to evaluating player performance.

(Not sure if this will be a popular post. :ph34r:)

Sometimes the truth is unpopular. 

• Vintage 1

Myers has been good this year and with his contract he probably isn’t going anywhere until it expires so better just eat the fact he’s here for the duration of it. Losing him would make an already thin blue line a lot thinner too. 

• Vintage 1

I didn't like the Myers signing at the time and I still don't since it essentially handed Tanev his walking papers. Watching him the first few years and his mistakes, turnovers and ill advised pinches made me go stir crazy we chose this guy over Tanev just because he was a tall RHD. You can check my post history the last few years on just how much I hated having committed to this guy on the team when there were better cheaper options on the market and other RHD who wanted to stay IMO. 

But, he's doing much better this year. Watching a few of the games, I haven't noticed as many of these brain fart moments and he's actually played pretty solid. I think OEL has a stabilizing presence for him when they're paired together. And he isn't doing too badly in his matchups. Hoping he can keep this up and maybe even exceed expectations and play Top 2 minutes, because that is our biggest need right now. 

At the time it wasn't a bet we should have made, but if Myers can provide us top 4 D quality play a few more years then I can see it as a contract that can work for the team, especially now that Loui, Beagle, Roussel are off the books.

A small part of me wants Myers to go down just to shut the remaining tiny bit of the CDC that finally hasn't come around to him to stfu.    Our season is over if that happens.   Over.  That's not on TG, rather JB for betting on Hamonic issue's not taking too long.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I didn't like the Myers signing at the time and I still don't since it essentially handed Tanev his walking papers. Watching him the first few years and his mistakes, turnovers and ill advised pinches made me go stir crazy we chose this guy over Tanev just because he was a tall RHD. You can check my post history the last few years on just how much I hated having committed to this guy on the team when there were better cheaper options on the market and other RHD who wanted to stay IMO. 

But, he's doing much better this year. Watching a few of the games, I haven't noticed as many of these brain fart moments and he's actually played pretty solid. I think OEL has a stabilizing presence for him when they're paired together. And he isn't doing too badly in his matchups. Hoping he can keep this up and maybe even exceed expectations and play Top 2 minutes, because that is our biggest need right now. 

At the time it wasn't a bet we should have made, but if Myers can provide us top 4 D quality play a few more years then I can see it as a contract that can work for the team, especially now that Loui, Beagle, Roussel are off the books.

Myers does things Tanev doesn't.   Tanev does things Myers doesn't.   In the end Myers is actually the better all around D if folks take the homer goggles off, wouldn't be much different then taking Tanev over Edler.   Strange thing - we added just Miller and Myers to our budding core with the old guard, and guess what happened?   What we really needed was both.   And we should of had them if the stupid OEL deal at the time didn't come up.    Tanev and his 60ish games a year vs Myers .... sorry i'm taking Myers every time even at his cap hit.     And on that, he's not overpaid.    Damn look at Seth Jones getting 55ish%  more salary, or  Nurse or Werenski lol.    When all is said and done, i bet Myers stats won't be much different career wise then Edlers ... minutes played ... Goals/assists etc ... and he's a RHD giant.   I loved the signing at the time and still do.   A lot of hate on this site during the rebuild over both Eagle and Tanev.    

OEL/Myers is going to make the QHs signing look awesome for 3 years or so. Probably more because by then QHs will be mature enough to handle the change over which will organically occur.    For now that's a totally legit first pairing.   Why anyone would complain about his cap hit i don't know.   Ballard was getting more lol.   

Edit:  All this desire to add Savard or Severson or whomever....they'd come here and become whipping boys quickly.    Myers is just fine.  Ideally we'd have both Myers and Tanev  ... OEL fiasco finally paid dividends so i'm not going to complain.   We wouldn't have that deal IF we retained Tanev OR Tyler Toffoli - the one minute man over our history that got more ridiculous stupid attention then i could possibly imagine.     "WAY better then Brock Boeser" all this stuff said ... i don't mind Pearson... but two former Kings?  That never even came up. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:26 PM, Bud Chevy said:

Has anyone noticed how #57 has no wheels and constantly loses puck battles? Standing around and watching the game go by should not earn millions. Please Benning, cut our losses and send him to Abbottsford for power skating. 

Saying that Myers has no wheels, to me, shows you don't understand hockey. Myers skates very well for a big man, it's one of his positive attributes. 

• Vintage 2