The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Serious question about perceived negativity around this team

Rate this topic

MeanSeanBean

A part of it is probably this general phenomenon that - thanks to social media and a media landscape that relies on range and not on quality - an angry minority gets more attention than it deserves, while a large, content majority stays in the background.

If you look at this forum, you will find the same handful of posters that invade almost every thread to constantly repeat the same arguments over and over again. Benning sucks, system sucks, drop pass sucks, fire Green, Aquilini sucks blahblah. One may get the impression that the fanbase as a whole is negative, but I believe (and hope) it is merely a comparatively small number, but one that KEEPS SHOUTING!

Edited by joe-max
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

And to add to that wall of text ^.   I think sometimes people lose sight of the human element in all of this.  ALL humans make mistakes and it's actually how we can learn as we move forward and past them.  Benning and company aren't infallible.....we've certainly witnessed that first hand.  But they seem to be adjusting and that matters.

When you're hiring "employees", sometimes based on an unproven work history, it's a gamble.  It doesn't always work out on paper how you'd hoped.  And we see one side of things but not the other side - the one where negotiating with players and other teams isn't just a matter of making a TO DO list and things get done.  We rely on the decisions of the other parties and that may involve some compromise and not getting exactly what we want.

It's more complex than Benning/Green/Petey/etc. good/bad.  So much so.....but, for some, they've whittled it down to that.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

I suspect the two main reasons would be:

1. Higher expectations. This year, this team is expected to at least be very close to the playoffs.

2. Much recent losing. 2019-20 was very fun, but outside of that, it's been a while since our team has been good and I think fans are very ready to be done with being a non-playoff team and are running out of patience.

I think these above things make fans overall less patient and quicker to give knee-jerk reactions to various things.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I see a lot of the negativity being driven by our local media, and its a very disproportionate voice. Small number, big megaphone.

Guys like Dhaliwal, e.g. while occasionally being useful in breaking a story, also do things like give air time to things like the Benning protestors, or guys like Andrew Walker who just bash the city ad naseum. Many of the old TSN 1040 crowd, Ferarro, etc. all love to bash the city and fanbase and team.

And then there's "Canucks twitter" whoever the hell they are.

But it doesn't represent most of us, not even close.

Take that away, and we're pretty average. We're not even unique in rioting.

I find it insulting on a Canuck’s fan board, when other teams’ fans come here and write very negative things about our youngest players and prospects, while saying their teams’ young guys and prospects are better.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I find it insulting on a Canuck’s fan board, when other teams’ fans come here and write very negative things about our youngest players and prospects, while saying their teams’ young guys and prospects are better.  

I have a hard time with that stuff too, Alf.  That's usually when I have to go hop on my bike and crank up G & R to drown it all out.  THE NERVE!

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I still don't think our defense is good enough, even with Hamonic.

There are several new players, and the hope is Shaw will help with the system.

So far the Canucks have been painful to watch in their own zone, just like in previous years.

There is still time to correct this of course, but until that happens, I'll temper my expectations.

Definitely a work in progress but I was encouraged to see a few plays where the team cut off the cycle and break out was clean-no turnovers.  The defensive scheme requires a lot of athleticism and good execution to create turnovers/transition out.  Hopefully it keeps improving. 

OP you should see the conversation on #canucks Twitter. Some people have such a personal disliking for JB that results don’t really matter. They just want personal vendettas re affirmed and would rather see the team do poorly. 

IMO, the team has definitely improved. I see a few areas where tweaks could/maybe be made.  So as far as roster construction goes it’ll be interesting moving forward 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people take this way too seriously. The Canucks really shouldn't ruin or make your day except for a handful of times during the regular season and the Playoffs if they get there. 

There's a difference between keeping up with every little detail of the organization and investing in every little detail of the organization. For example, losing Gadjovich and MacEwan on waivers sucks, but that's hardly anything to tear down the organization for. If Pettersson or Hughes were traded in a bad deal, that would be different. 

No matter what happens, we are just the people sitting at home watching some people actually do something. We should not have our pride and ego hurt so often by something we're not directly involved in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1