The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sharks trade Dylan Gambrell to Senators for 2022 7th-round pick

6 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I'm surprised we didn't look into Gambrell.

How do you know the Canucks didn't?

7 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

He's definitely a good player

Maybe

7 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

A seventh rounder?

Yes

8 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

No wonder Seattle passed on him even though he's a hometown guy. 

So maybe not so good that Seattle would trade their seventh rounder?

38 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

I'm surprised we didn't look into Gambrell. He's definitely a good player. A seventh rounder? No wonder Seattle passed on him even though he's a hometown guy. 

He’s definitely not a good player. Was terrible last year, couldn’t make the team this year, and the Sharks couldn’t get more than a 7th round pick for him. If he was good in any way, at least one of those would not be true.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

He’s definitely not a good player. Was terrible last year, couldn’t make the team this year, and the Sharks couldn’t get more than a 7th round pick for him. If he was good in any way, at least one of those would not be true.

This matter is subjective though. I think he's a good player, strong down the middle of the ice, PPG player in the AHL, 12 pts last year in in 49 games which is good production for a bottom six player. As a 4C, right-handed, 25-years old is he better than a guy like Gaudette? I'd say they're both around the same, Gaudette's done more in the NHL by a long-shot. The point is, I think he's a good player. You don't and that's fine, you don't need to be a dick about it. 

San Jose making room for Gadjovich, I'm sure they like what they see.

Gambrell is an upgrade on some of our AHL fodder, so we should have definitely looked at him to play 4C for us.  Right hand shot, good skater and can kill penalties.  That is what we are missing right now in the bottom 6.  Dowling and Chiasson would both easily clear waivers so either one could be sent to Abby.  Hopefully Benning is looking at other options for the 4C or at the very least a 4th line player who's a right hand shot and can kill penalties. 

With Podkolzin most likely going to Abby I see Motte sliding in on the 3rd line with Dickinson and Höglander when he gets back, which leaves room for a spot on the 4th line for a right hand shot to play with Lammikko and Highmore.

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

This matter is subjective though. I think he's a good player, strong down the middle of the ice, PPG player in the AHL, 12 pts last year in in 49 games which is good production for a bottom six player. As a 4C, right-handed, 25-years old is he better than a guy like Gaudette? I'd say they're both around the same, Gaudette's done more in the NHL by a long-shot. The point is, I think he's a good player. You don't and that's fine, you don't need to be a dick about it. 

Being straightforward and even blunt does not equate to being a dick. It is not really subjective, or at least certainly not to the extent you're implying. Sure, there is always some room for evaluation and interpretation. But there are definitely better and worse players. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are better than others.

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

If someone disagrees with you, and clearly states why, that doesn’t make them a dick. 

You say it’s subjective, and yet you also said he’s “definitely” good. I’m saying all the evidence suggests he’s not very good. I suspect every GM that refused to give up more than a 7th round pick would agree.

He’s a player, at least. Good on the Sharks, for picking up a likely better player in Gadjovich for free, and getting at least something for Gambrell.

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

Considering prior to his accusations, Benning couldn't get even a 7th for Jake. And only got Highmore for Gaudette. And those players made the NHL.