The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Power Play Frustrations

Rate this topic

ButterBean

Anyone else just get frustrated watching how obviously predictable our power play is? JT Miller fakes slap shot, drops to Hughes who one time passes to Petey who fakes one timer… No movement at all and the same cycling between the same 3 players. Why aren’t they working down low and creating more room? As of right now our power play is 16th in the league which isn’t terrible but with the talent we have up front I see no reason we can crack top 10 or even top 5. I just question the personnel Green ices, Chiasson doesn’t belong there when you have Boeser and Garland wasting away on the 2nd unit. I think we should try JT Miller in front of the net, which was his bread and butter in Tampa, and put Boeser or Garland on the left half wall, whatcha think? 

15 minutes ago, ButterBean said:

Anyone else just get frustrated watching how obviously predictable our power play is? JT Miller fakes slap shot, drops to Hughes who one time passes to Petey who fakes one timer… No movement at all and the same cycling between the same 3 players. Why aren’t they working down low and creating more room? As of right now our power play is 16th in the league which isn’t terrible but with the talent we have up front I see no reason we can crack top 10 or even top 5. I just question the personnel Green ices, Chiasson doesn’t belong there when you have Boeser and Garland wasting away on the 2nd unit. I think we should try JT Miller in front of the net, which was his bread and butter in Tampa, and put Boeser or Garland on the left half wall, whatcha think? 

Isn't it Jason King that runs the power play?  Why is it Green being questioned?  Boeser has only been in 3 games also.  He looks a little rusty along with Petey who looks tentative also.  I'm wondering if that wrist is still bothering him a bit.  He's mishandling the puck a lot.  I would also prefer that they swap Miller and Boeser so that they have 1 timer options on both sides for Hughes to pass too.

7 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Isn't it Jason King that runs the power play?  Why is it Green being questioned?  Boeser has only been in 3 games also.  He looks a little rusty along with Petey who looks tentative also.  I'm wondering if that wrist is still bothering him a bit.  He's mishandling the puck a lot.  I would also prefer that they swap Miller and Boeser so that they have 1 timer options on both sides for Hughes to pass too.

Green is the head coach. Everything is his responsibility ultimately. King looks like he is just trying to replicate what Brown did. 2011 called, it wants its static pp strategy back.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL should definitely be quarterbacking the PP1, he's very good at setting up the play and his shot is always dead on accurate.  Hughes should be used more as a rover to confuse the opposition.  I'd take Miller off the PP1 and have Horvat, Petey and Boeser up front.  Our PP is too predictable the way it is set up right now.  If Hughes is allowed to move around it gives us more options.

Miller, Höglander and Garland would be the main guys on PP2 with Rathbone and Myers on the point.  PP1 needs to be on the ice for at least 90 seconds so it's a waste to have OEL on the bench for the majority of the PP.

Totally agree with all of this.

• Upvote 1

The power play needs movement. Hughes one move is great but watch how teams set up against our pp. They know it’s going Miller to Hughes to Petey, rinse and repeat. 

OEL can move and move the puck but he has one thing Hughes doesn’t: the opposition has to be wary of him shooting the puck too.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green is the head coach. Everything is his responsibility ultimately. King looks like he is just trying to replicate what Brown did. 2011 called, it wants its static pp strategy back.

And the players are the ones who need to execute.  Are you in the PP meetings and know exactly when and where the players are suppose to be at all times during the PP?  I didn't know you were involved in that aspect of the team.  Please tell us if it's the coaching that's causing Petey to pretty much not move at all on the half wall.  It all comes down to players' execution.  Not the coach.  These 5 guys are the same 5 who were Top 5 PP, 2 seasons ago.  And statistically they scored close to the same rate last year.  It's the 2nd unit that didn't produce.  And this year, I'm sure they will produce more with OEL and Garland on that unit.  Now with Boeser back, Dowling is off of the 2nd unit PP.  

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The power play needs movement. Hughes one move is great but watch how teams set up against our pp. They know it’s going Miller to Hughes to Petey, rinse and repeat. 

OEL can move and move the puck but he has one thing Hughes doesn’t: the opposition has to be wary of him shooting the puck too.

Looks to me that Hughes is fine with his shot.  In fact, it looks faster than ever.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Viper007 said:

And the players are the ones who need to execute.  Are you in the PP meetings and know exactly when and where the players are suppose to be at all times during the PP?  I didn't know you were involved in that aspect of the team.  Please tell us if it's the coaching that's causing Petey to pretty much not move at all on the half wall.  It all comes down to players' execution.  Not the coach.  These 5 guys are the same 5 who were Top 5 PP, 2 seasons ago.  And statistically they scored close to the same rate last year.  It's the 2nd unit that didn't produce.  And this year, I'm sure they will produce more with OEL and Garland on that unit.  Now with Boeser back, Dowling is off of the 2nd unit PP.  

The coaches are the ones who have to give them something efficient to execute though.

The PP is struggling because the strategy is still the same and other coaches have caught on how predictable it is. 

I don’t have to be in the meetings to know that 5 gifted players do not stand around trying to setup the same failed play 10 times unless they are being coached that that is how to execute the coaches strategy.

If coaches have no impact, why have them? The structural problems with the PP are coaching issues far more than execution issues.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So you know for a fact that the coaches are telling the players to not have any movement and to stay still on the half wall to Petey.  Because that's the only player that really isn't moving as much as all the other players.  Washington has done the same predictable thing, how come they still seem to be a good PP team?  

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Looks to me that Hughes is fine with his shot.  In fact, it looks faster than ever.  

Hughes shot is average at absolute best and it isn’t good enough to force PKers to guard against it to the degree they have to with OEL. They know Hughes will pass 90% of the time, miss the net another 5%, and hit the net another 5%. They are just playing the odds and it’s clearly working, especially since EP can’t uncork a one timer.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Hughes shot is average at absolute best and it isn’t good enough to force PKers to guard against it to the degree they have to with OEL. They know Hughes will pass 90% of the time, miss the net another 5%, and hit the net another 5%. They are just playing the odds and it’s clearly working, especially since EP can’t uncork a one timer.

Then shouldn't it be Hughes that needs to shoot more?  In fact, all the players need to shoot more in my opinion.  Cause chaos.  Break some ankles if they try to block.  

3 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

So you know for a fact that the coaches are telling the players to not have any movement and to stay still on the half wall to Petey.  Because that's the only player that really isn't moving as much as all the other players.  Washington has done the same predictable thing, how come they still seem to be a good PP team?  

I know for a fact what is coaching and what is execution. Our execution is not good, partially because the system is not good.

The only Canucks guy that moves to any great degree is Hughes. Miller is absolutely the wrong guy to be where he is. He just doesn’t have it right now. 

Washington has one largely static player, not four.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I haven't really seen OEL bomb it, so I can't say if OEL's shot is average either.  If you want a bomb shouldn't they be putting in Myers?  He has a pretty hard Slapper.