The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks #1 line...

Rate this topic

The King

With the addition of Connor Garland, there is no doubt in my mind the number one line on this team is Horvat, Garland, and Pearson. They compete harder, and they seem to have better overall line chemistry. I do think if we subbed out Pearson with Hoglander it becomes even more dynamic, but Greener just doesn't have that in him, as he to a fault remains loyal to his veterans. I can't wait to see how the bottom two lines fill out when Motte and Sutter get back because I do think Motte and Hoglander might have some nice chemistry as well, speed matched, play drivers, relentless checkers, and both have offensive abilities.

That has been the best line. I never really knew much about Garland before him being traded here, but he is certainly dynamic, and an agitator. Love it. 

Got to assume Pettersson and Boeser eventually get up to speed and start producing. They're too good to shut down completely. 

Burroughs has been a really nice surprise

Glad Poolman didn't seriously hurt Huggy with that high stick last game.  

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Imo, part of the reason that line is doing so well is because of Pearson's relentless board work.  He isn't a big time point collector, but he supports that line very well.

Not to mention his net presence. Pearson is an excellent complimentary player that does a lot right.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The King said:

With the addition of Connor Garland, there is no doubt in my mind the number one line on this team is Horvat, Garland, and Pearson. They compete harder, and they seem to have better overall line chemistry. I do think if we subbed out Pearson with Hoglander it becomes even more dynamic, but Greener just doesn't have that in him, as he to a fault remains loyal to his veterans. I can't wait to see how the bottom two lines fill out when Motte and Sutter get back because I do think Motte and Hoglander might have some nice chemistry as well, speed matched, play drivers, relentless checkers, and both have offensive abilities.

I'm wondering if the Canucks should try Pettersson with the Horvat/Garland line just to get him going?

Pettersson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Dowling (Podkolzin?  Bueller?  Bueller? Green?  Bueller?)

Highmore-Lammiko-Chiasson

2 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Pearson is underrated when it comes to his forecheck and boardplay i do think hogs would look better on a scoring line tho

Pearson isn't a flashy player and as a result, a lot of fans don't think he's worth what we signed him for, but you don't win cups without guys like Pearson in your lineup. He's hard to play against and is a big part of why that line is effective.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

It is the best line so far, but I do believe that eventually Petey will get going and the Lotto line could become a better line again.

What we really should be considering ... is when the "Lotto/EP/BB/Miller" or whatever it is, gets going ... and if Horvats line is still doing it .... wouldn't that give us two excellent scoring lines? 

Edit:  That said - for me it's always going to be 5 x 5 that matters the most.   Wayne Gretzky is always going to be the best goal scorer, even with the extra 5% in save percentage taken off, because he scored the majority of his goals 5 x 5.   And something like 73 short handed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What we really should be considering ... is when the "Lotto/EP/BB/Miller" or whatever it is, gets going ... and if Horvats line is still doing it .... wouldn't that give us two excellent scoring lines? 

Edit:  That said - for me it's always going to be 5 x 5 that matters the most.   Wayne Gretzky is always going to be the best goal scorer, even with the extra 5% in save percentage taken off, because he scored the majority of his goals 5 x 5.   And something like 73 short handed. 

Maybe Green and Benning should stop grooming Petey to be a 1st C and let him be a winger. When Petey has been fully grown around 25 they can start the C project. 
Let Horvat be 1st C with Petey and Boeser.

Miller 2nd C with Höglander and Garland. 
Maybe switch a winger so you split the small gritty ones. 

Has it been our best line? Sure. So far.

But the lotto line has produced consistently in the past and I expect they will get it together again. This will give us 2 very solid attacking lines - which is something we haven't had since... well...ever? Even during our cup run, the 2nd line included Kesler, Higgins and Raymond - which is easily superseded by Bo, Garland, and Pearson.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I'm wondering if the Canucks should try Pettersson with the Horvat/Garland line just to get him going?

Pettersson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Dickinson-Dowling (Podkolzin?  Bueller?  Bueller? Green?  Bueller?)

Nah I wouldn't mess around with what is clearly good chemistry on the Horvat line.

Instead, I think it might make some sense to make JT Miller the centre on the Lotto line.  Get Petey on the wing where there is less responsibility, and in fact, I think he spent most of his 'junior' days on the wing.  The Canucks just forced him into the centre role to play as a 1C.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Any line with Pearson isn't a top line.

Yes the line is doing great now but I would think teams are currently focusing on shutting down he Lotto line. Who know how will Horvat's line respond with the same amount of pressure ?

Then the lotto line will get easier matchups.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Imo, part of the reason that line is doing so well is because of Pearson's relentless board work.  He isn't a big time point collector, but he supports that line very well.

Kinda like Chris Higgins.

Board man gets paid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nah I wouldn't mess around with what is clearly good chemistry on the Horvat line.

Instead, I think it might make some sense to make JT Miller the centre on the Lotto line.  Get Petey on the wing where there is less responsibility, and in fact, I think he spent most of his 'junior' days on the wing.  The Canucks just forced him into the centre role to play as a 1C.

Good idea. But is Miller strong enough to be a 1C going against the best centers around the league?

EP can hold his own as a center against almost anyone I think. He may not get points but he will stop goals from being scored on.

But yeah, I would say EP may become more lethal and get more points if he was moved to wing.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Fair enough.  Another idea that I had - why not just switch Dickinson and Miller, and then put Podkolzin back into the line-up?  Dickinson has had experience playing with Benn and Seguin.  Why not try him with Petey and Brock?

Dickinson-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Miller-Podkolzin

Dowling