The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Blow up the Maple Laughs

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Season is young, and we spent the first 6 games on the road. They finally have a little practice time to start getting everything working again.

Good points but they’d better figure it out fast.  Petey and Brock need to go from being 3rd line calibre players to 1st line calibre players again otherwise we’re in trouble.  Miller, Horvat, and Garland, god bless them, are excellent 2nd line players on elite teams.  They should not be your best forwards.  Miller should be playing the role of Burrows and Morrison on that top line just like those guys did for SSB and WCE......not playing “mommy” for Petey and Brock.  

Bure, 95-96 Mogilny, WCE, and SSB struck fear into the opponents during their hey day’s.  Right now?  Petey and Brock wouldn’t even scare a 3rd line.  Too predictable and too weak.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Good points but they’d better figure it out fast.  Petey and Brock need to go from being 3rd line calibre players to 1st line calibre players again otherwise we’re in trouble.  Miller, Horvat, and Garland, god bless them, are excellent 2nd line players on elite teams.  They should not be your best forwards.  Miller should be playing the role of Burrows and Morrison on that top line just like those guys did for SSB and WCE......not playing “mommy” for Petey and Brock.  

Bure, 95-96 Mogilny, WCE, and SSB struck fear into the opponents during their hey day’s.  Right now?  Petey and Brock wouldn’t even scare a 3rd line.  Too predictable and too weak.

Well remember how the media and fans ripped into the Sedins?   I really don't think that smell really ever left them for some impressionable fans.    Guys weren't "weak".   They took constant abuse and kept on ticking.   I'm not worried about Brock Boeser or EP.   Not yet at least.   It sure would be nice to see them clicking on all cylinders ... and Miller already exceeds what both guys have accomplished, so don't really get the Morrison or Burrows comp.   He's every bit their equals so far.   Morrison ... man did he ever get some flak back then too "Imagine what Naslund and Bertuzzi could do with a true number one C, like Sakic or Yzerman?".... The Sedins less so much with Burrows given he didn't get first line PP time and aside from one year of Carter the Sedins never gelled with any other player (although for sure they tried).    Point is Miller so far has produced enough to be their equals.    Where as Burrows and Morrison for sure where not.   Sure the expectation is they will do better, given their age and how well they started out.   Thing is, as long as they produce to their career norms, then they are doing enough.   Maybe they know this and aren't trying hard enough.    Who knows.   Fire Green! And all that.   The same coach that gave them the ice time to succeed.  

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well remember how the media and fans ripped into the Sedins?   I really don't think that smell really ever left them for some impressionable fans.    Guys weren't "weak".   They took constant abuse and kept on ticking.   I'm not worried about Brock Boeser or EP.   Not yet at least.   It sure would be nice to see them clicking on all cylinders ... and Miller already exceeds what both guys have accomplished, so don't really get the Morrison or Burrows comp.   He's every bit their equals so far.   Morrison ... man did he ever get some flak back then too "Imagine what Naslund and Bertuzzi could do with a true number one C, like Sakic or Yzerman?".... The Sedins less so much with Burrows given he didn't get first line PP time and aside from one year of Carter the Sedins never gelled with any other player (although for sure they tried).    Point is Miller so far has produced enough to be their equals.    Where as Burrows and Morrison for sure where not.   Sure the expectation is they will do better, given their age and how well they started out.   Thing is, as long as they produce to their career norms, then they are doing enough.   Maybe they know this and aren't trying hard enough.    Who knows.   Fire Green! And all that.   The same coach that gave them the ice time to succeed.  

Sorry I should clarify:

My point wasn’t to criticize Miller.  I completely agree with you about Miller.  All I’m saying is that a player of JT Miller’s calibre shouldn’t be depended on to *carry* a 1st line. He should be a complementary 1st line piece and nothing more than that.  Petey and Brock are the ones who should be carrying that line just as the twins, Naslund, and Bertuzzi did during their hey days.  

• Vintage 1

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Sorry I should clarify:

My point wasn’t to criticize Miller.  I completely agree with you about Miller.  All I’m saying is that a player of JT Miller’s calibre shouldn’t be depended on to *carry* a 1st line. He should be a complementary 1st line piece and nothing more than that.  Petey and Brock are the ones who should be carrying that line just as the twins, Naslund, and Bertuzzi did during their hey days.  

Ahhh... that makes more sense.   Well they are what ... 22 and 24?   EPs 5 years younger then when Naslund broke out...and 3/4 when the Sedins did.   Maybe expectations are a little too high?

• Cheers 2