The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Benning known as a good drafter?

Rate this topic

ken kaniff

8 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Practically every team passed on Pasta. I mean he should have been at the top of everyone’s list with what we know now. It just happens that he was picked after McCann. It’s the same this with a guy like Aho. Should the team that drafted someone before him in the second round be scrutinized. I don’t know it’s not really a miss when every team missed. Unless it’s just that. Everyone missed on them 

I guess my question is, if Boston knew about Pasta, then JB should have known about Pasta. He was employed by Boston up until few weeks before the draft so there's no way that he didn't know unless they excluded him on purpose knowing that he is leaving the job shortly.

McCann at 24 is not a bad pick at all. He's now a second line center in Seattle.

Just curious why JB didn't utilize information that he likely had on Pasta.

The only explanation that I can think of is that he thought it was unethical to use info from his previous employment.

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The 2015 draft just wasn't fair to all other draft classes.  It's insane how stacked that draft was I think only 6 years removed it is already the best draft class of all time.

One draft class to rule them all, one draft class to find them, one draft class to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

And to think Boston had 3 first round picks in one of the better drafts in NHL history and they managed to flop on all 3 picks.  All 3 picks were right in a row as well so it's not like they can claim another team stole their player.  They had every top player on the board after pick 12 available to them and didn't pick any of them with 3 picks in a row.  With 3 picks in their pocket, they passed on Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Player Name Ek, Boeser, Konecny, Beauvillier, Aho.  Even Maggie the Monkey could have picked at least one of those guys by accident.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

The 2015 draft just wasn't fair to all other draft classes.  It's insane how stacked that draft was I think only 6 years removed it is already the best draft class of all time.

One draft class to rule them all, one draft class to find them, one draft class to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

1980 would like a stern word with you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

No you don’t have to compare anything. If other teams have poor or good drafting it means nothing. 

I’m looking at Benning alone. And even if I was comparing to other teams he isn’t all that good either

How would you know?

What is you perceived definition of a good draft record without a comparison? Should he have gone 100%? Also, is Benning considered a bad drafter if a player like OJ regresses due to injury? Was he supposed to predict that? 

How do you guage what is good and what is bad without a comparison. For example; if you have a crabapple and decide all apples are terrible based on that one variety, then that is stupid. 

I think you are taking a negative point of view, but I like the discussion.

Some of what you say is true. You have focused on 1st round picks, which I think is fair because those are the most important. But let’s not forget some of the later round picks that are looking excellent (Demko, Hoglander) and promising (Rathbone, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Klimovich, Woo, Dipietro, Silovs). Some other notable later round picks that became NHL players against usual odds: MacEwen, Gaudette, Forsling, Tryamkin.

I think it is fair to criticize JB if he truly went off the board with a high 1st round pick and missed out on higher ranked players. But did he ever do that?

Let's look at the consensus rankings from mynhl.com (which includes TSN) then here is what you’d find…

2013: Horvat ranked #12, picked by VAN at #9. This is an “off the board” pick. Ranked ahead of Horvat and available at #9 were Nichushkin, Domi and Zadorov. BIG BIG WIN. Thank you for going off the board!

2014: Virtanen ranked #13, picked by VAN at #6. An “off the board” pick. BIG LOSS. However, Perlini was the consensus pick available at #6, ranked above Ehlers and Nylander. McCann ranked #11, selected by VAN at #24. Glad we didn't go for Perlini.

2015: Boeser ranked #22, picked by VAN at #23. Not off the board. Good pick, would go a lot higher in a redraft.

2016: Juolevi ranked #7, picked by VAN at #6. Not off the board. Juolevi was the highest ranked Dman available at #6. M Tkachuk and A Nylander were ranked higher and available at #6. Final outcome was a BIG LOSS, but was not off the board. Other notable Dmen were Sergachev (ranked 10th, picked 9th), McAvoy (ranked 17th, picked 14th), Chychrun (ranked 9th, picked 16th).

2017: Pettersson ranked #10* picked by VAN at #5. Off the board pick. MASSIVE WIN. *No consensus rankings on mynhl.com but 12 different sources had him ranked at 7, 17, 15, 9, 7, 5, 8, 8, 20, 11, 8, 15 = average ranking of 10th.

2018: Hughes ranked #7** picked by VAN at #7. Not an off the board pick. MASSIVE WIN. **No consensus ranking listed but Hughes was ranked by 18 different sources at 5, 3, 6, 9, 6, 8, 7, 5, 10, 6, 4, 4, 9, 9, 10, 6, 9, 8 = average ranking of 7th.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Like 1

I never said to hit on every draft pick but in all the years he’s been GM we have 5 maybe 6 players drafted by him that made this team. That’s not good

5 maybe 6 players who could be core pieces of this team for the next decade. Find me another team with that kind of track record. 

Yes I mentioned them. Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Hoglander and maybe Podkolzin. Out of all the draft picks and all those years these are all we got

Okay let's now look at Gillis Draft picks... not every team is going to hit on draft picks we have hit on like 80% of the draft picks in the Bennings tenure 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Forgot that for three years, we had two calder finalists and a calder winner. That is relatively unheard of.

The Rangers had a hell of a Calder run leading up to the 94 Cup...

1989 - Winner and another finalist

1990 - 6th

1991 - 4th

1992 - Finalist

Two years later...  Stanley Cup.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, khay said:

I don't agree that Hughes was a no brainer pick.

I still remember Brian Burke, "That's a small body."

There is no such thing as no brainer pick, unless it's a generational talent like McDavid, Crosby, OV, Lemieux, and etc. Even Rasumus Dahlin may not turn out as the no brainer pick and Lafrenier and so on on and on.

Some people are a bit too critical of him. The only way they would give JB any credit is if he was perfect with every first rounders. For example, if JB drafted Ehlers instead of JV and Pasta instead of McCann, and McAvoy instead of Juolevi?

I will say that if he did make those picks, the team would have won a cup already and JB would not only be considered good at drafting but the god of drafting.

Though, I do wonder about Pasta sometimes. Since he was employed by Boston until 2014 summer, I think it's very plausible that we could have drafted Pasta instead of McCann. I wonder why he chose McCann? Maybe he didn't want to use info from his former employer?

This... and in particular the bolded part.

JB is a Gentleman, and he is well respected throughout the league. Would not be the slightest surprised if that was the case...

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think you are taking a negative point of view, but I like the discussion.

Some of what you say is true. You have focused on 1st round picks, which I think is fair because those are the most important. But let’s not forget some of the later round picks that are looking excellent (Demko, Hoglander) and promising (Rathbone, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Klimovich, Woo, Dipietro, Silovs). Some other notable later round picks that became NHL players against usual odds: MacEwen, Gaudette, Forsling, Tryamkin.

I think it is fair to criticize JB if he truly went off the board with a high 1st round pick and missed out on higher ranked players. But did he ever do that?

Let's look at the consensus rankings from mynhl.com (which includes TSN) then here is what you’d find…

2013: Horvat ranked #12, picked by VAN at #9. This is an “off the board” pick. Ranked ahead of Horvat and available at #9 were Nichushkin, Domi and Zadorov. BIG BIG WIN. Thank you for going off the board!

2014: Virtanen ranked #13, picked by VAN at #6. An “off the board” pick. BIG LOSS. However, Perlini was the consensus pick available at #6, ranked above Ehlers and Nylander. McCann ranked #11, selected by VAN at #24. Glad we didn't go for Perlini.

2015: Boeser ranked #22, picked by VAN at #23. Not off the board. Good pick, would go a lot higher in a redraft.

2016: Juolevi ranked #7, picked by VAN at #6. Not off the board. Juolevi was the highest ranked Dman available at #6. M Tkachuk and A Nylander were ranked higher and available at #6. Final outcome was a BIG LOSS, but was not off the board. Other notable Dmen were Sergachev (ranked 10th, picked 9th), McAvoy (ranked 17th, picked 14th), Chychrun (ranked 9th, picked 16th).

2017: Pettersson ranked #10* picked by VAN at #5. Off the board pick. MASSIVE WIN. *No consensus rankings on mynhl.com but 12 different sources had him ranked at 7, 17, 15, 9, 7, 5, 8, 8, 20, 11, 8, 15 = average ranking of 10th.

2018: Hughes ranked #7** picked by VAN at #7. Not an off the board pick. MASSIVE WIN. **No consensus ranking listed but Hughes was ranked by 18 different sources at 5, 3, 6, 9, 6, 8, 7, 5, 10, 6, 4, 4, 9, 9, 10, 6, 9, 8 = average ranking of 7th.

Nice one... Though Horvat was not picked by Benning, but a good take...

• -DLC- locked this topic