The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Stanley Cup Banner

Rate this topic

goalie13

Kraken Banner  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, the Kraken have raised another banner.

Where are you on the Stanley Cup banner?  Is it cheesy / cringeworthy?  Or is it cool that they are making a connection to the past.

Personally, I don't mind it.  They didn't claim it as their own.  They presented it as the Metropolitans' banner.  I always liked it when the Victoria Cougars had a Stanley Cup banner at the old Memorial Arena (although the banner itself was kind of sad).  I wish the Royals would fly banners to celebrate the old Cougars' WHL Championship.  I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating history like this.

I'm curious to hear what others think.

• Haha 1

Mixed feelings, but closer to cringe. I love that they're recognizing their history with the Metros, but I don't like the idea of claiming that Cup as their own. It's a Seattle Cup, but not a Kraken Cup. I would feel the same way about a Millionaires banner.

I would say maybe have a space in the arena where you can learn about Metropolitans history, but don't bother with a banner.

• Cheers 4

lol. It literally has nothing to do with this current Seattle franchise. 

That means the Ottawa Senators should raise their 3 banners from the 1920's even though the current Senators and the old Senators have nothing to do with eachother (even though they have the same name). 

This just screams how really desperate for attention they are lol

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Does this mean the Millionaire banner goes up in Vancouver?

It's a little cheezy.  An expansion team can get away with it since they have nothing at all in the rafters.  Other than #32 :rolleyes:

The Canucks have banners.  It's 50 years too late to put the Millionaires up there

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

That means the Ottawa Senators should raise their 3 banners from the 1920's even though the current Senators and the old Senators have nothing to do with eachother (even though they have the same name). 

Nonsense. Its the same trophy , the same game and the same cities. Our Millionaires cup should count as a cup for Vancouver. Who decided that it was about the corporate franchise and not the city and the game ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Nonsense. Its the same trophy , the same game and the same cities. Our Millionaires cup should count as a cup for Vancouver. Who decided that it was about the corporate franchise and not the city and the game ?

Completely different teams, owners, and franchise. 

We also didn't grow up cheering for the Millionaires franchise, we cheer for the Canucks.

So for instance, with the LA Clippers and LA Lakers in the NBA, if either one of those teams happens to win the championship one year, should the other also take credit for the other franchise's win?

They're two of the biggest rivals.

In soccer, how about Manchester United and Manchester City? Both fanbases literally have a history of hatred for eachother. 

lol. You clearly don't know how professional sports works and it shows.

• Cheers 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Who the hell cares who the owners and the franchise is.

Has Vancouver ever won a Stanley cup ? The answer is yes.

Dude. I literally gave you examples.

The Canucks haven't won the cup in 52 years of its existence that fans like you have to resort to a team that has nothing to do with the Canucks who won in the 1910's.

Good gosh that's sad. 

Whatever floats your boat. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yeah. I kinda see it the same way. Desperate act for some attention. What does the previous Seattle franchise have to do with the current one? 

Did the Kraken win the Cup? No. Then don't raise the &^@#ing banner. 

Jeez. 

Both Toronto and Montreal use their cup wins during that 1915-1926 period in their official totals and have banners for them as well.  They both however have been the same team the entire time, Montreal being founded in 1909 and Toronto being founded in 1917.  Toronto were originally the Arenas and then the Patricks before changing their name to the Maple Leafs under new ownership.  So technically even though they changed their name twice it was always the same franchise.

Vancouver, Seattle and Ottawa are technically different franchises today than from the 1915-1926 period, so none of them should be putting up any banners.  Vancouver and Ottawa did not but Seattle chose to.  Seattle also chose to retire a number from day one.

Basically Seattle is putting up a Stanley Cup banner and a retired jersey simply for marketing purposes.  They are not a traditional franchise so they are not following traditional rules.  At the end of the day they can do what they want but in my opinion both banners look kinda silly and amateurish to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1