The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Stanley Cup Banner

Rate this topic

goalie13

Kraken Banner  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not my call, not my team, not my city.

In other words. Not my circus, not my monkeys. 

Yeah, their circus as you say, "Live and let live".

Besides, I think it might look a little silly for us to have one banner up, from almost 100 years ago.

Maybe when we win the next one, we can consider raising the old one at around that time.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Speaking of cringe, that arena name..:unsure:

Yeah. Some of the names of the arenas in the States is...very weird. Anything for the corporate dollars, though! 

Krispy Kreme Arena. Can't believe that isn't a name for an arena in the NHL yet. 

krispy kreme day GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

A little harsh don't you think?

It's fine if you don't like the idea, most don't.  But your analogy is broken.  The Canucks and the Millionaires never played at the same time.  They have never been rivals.  Heck, the Canucks have even worn the Millionaires' jersey.  You would never see that happen in either of your examples.

Not harsh. It makes perfect sense.

Tell me how my analogy is broken?

The Vancouver Millionaires are a team that are in no way associated to the Canucks other than the fact they played in the same city. The former dispersing into non-existence a century ago. 

Doesn't matter if they didn't play in the same time period, they are two completely different franchises (just like how the Lakers and the Clippers are two completely different franchises). 

The Canucks wearing Millionaires jerseys was due to the fact that there was fan demand for them. 

Ownership decided to cater to it and that's their choice.

Still doesn't mean either of the teams are related whatsoever. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Your analogy was entirely about rivals.  The Canucks and Millionaires were never rivals.

The main point was that they are two different organizations/franchises.  

No **** they were never rivals when one team stopped existing 50 years before the other was even born. 

I mentioned rivalries to support my statement against the idea that one organization's glories should also be celebrated by the other organization just because they are from the same city. That's why I said it's ridiculous as I don't think Lakers fans would celebrate a Clippers championship or vice-versa, even though they are from the same city. 

If you would've known to comprehend a bit more, maybe you would've seen that.

• Cheers 1

I'm not really a superstitious guy, but I know hockey is a very superstitious sport and I think it would be bad vibes for lack of a better term for a team to raise a Stanley Cup banner for a different team winning it. Players won't even touch the cup before they've won it, or even the conference trophies.

This isn't even getting into the optics of it.

16 minutes ago, McBackup said:

I'm not really a superstitious guy, but I know hockey is a very superstitious sport and I think it would be bad vibes for lack of a better term for a team to raise a Stanley Cup banner for a different team winning it. Players won't even touch the cup before they've won it, or even the conference trophies.

I think the optics are not only fine but actually positive.  I think it's good to honor players and teams that would otherwise be forgotten by today's fans.

The superstitious argument is actually slightly more persuasive for me.

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

Well the Canucks haven't raised the 1915 Stanley cup that the city of Vancouver won. And it sure didn't help them. If Seattle did it, we should do it.