The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Wake up

Coaching Staff

Relieve Travis Green and promote Brad Shaw.

Then hire Bruce Boudreau as an assistant. Round of applause for@King Heffyas he played a major role in assembling this new coaching staff!

Trades

Canucks acquire: D Nathan Beaulieu

7th Round Draft Pick 2023

Jets acquire: D Travis Hamonic (50% $ retain)

F Matthew Highmore        
 (Conditional) 4th Round Draft Pick 2024

Signings

D Jason Demers (1 year/2-way/$750,000)

F Bobby Ryan (1 year/1-way/$750,000)

Regardless of the outcome of tonights game I still believe this type of change is necessary. The Canucks are far too inconsistent under Green and asset management because of Greens choices are far too concerning.
Jim Benning has done great work. What’s going on is the fault of Travis Green and for Petterssons struggles that’s Petterssons own fault (although I think a new coach might help him push to the level of elite). Jack Rathbone needs major seasoning down in Abbotsford and he doesn’t require waivers until next season. We need to take advantage of that. We have lots of RHD depth. What we need is a true all-around, big, slick LHD to support Ekman-Larsson and Hughes. Beaulieu is that and has decent experience but is also only 28 and only comes in at $1,250,000 for this season and then is a UFA. (So if Rathbone is ready to fully step in next season than no problem. Beaulieu could even be kept as a 7th/8th D). The Jets have been leaking many goals to start the season and could use a top four experienced all around, hard nosed shut down D in Hamonic. Hamonic also being from Manitoba and everything that’s gone on with him would make this trade very appropriate. Hamonic now being back and getting warmed up in the AHL plus the Canucks retaining half his salary makes him much more valuable. The Jets need some more forward depth too and losing Highmore would kind of hurt but Motte will be back very soon and Motte is a higher-end version of Highmore. We’ve looked at Jason Demers twice before and Tocchet would want him brought in since he coached him (as well as OEL & Garland) for four seasons in Arizona. If Bobby Ryan can come in and stay healthy he may be a massive steal. He’s tenacious, will fit in nicely in the locker room, will protect his teammates, brings loads of experience, and still has very good technicalities in his hands and vision. He’d be a major upgrade on Chiasson who’s good for net front PP, aggressive efforts, and cup winning veteran experience, but his foot speed and age is killing us. To note on Rick Tocchet he’s very familiar with (the way it is right now) our two best players as I mentioned above. He also was an assistant coach with Pittsburgh when they won back to back cups. I truly believe he could come in and guide this team to a championship playoff run and also teach and grow young players better than Green. Observe.

Depth Chart

J.T. Miller -El.Pettersson- C.Garland

T.Pearson -B.Horvat- N.Hoglander

V.Podkolzin -Ja.Dickinson- B.Boeser

T.Motte -J.Lammikko- Ju.Bailey

B.Ryan

O.Ekman-Larsson - J.Demers

Q.Hughes - T.Myers

N.Beaulieu - T.Poolman

K.Burroughs - L.Schenn

T.Demko

J.Halak

IR

J.Dowling

G.Brisebois

LTIR

B.Keeper

Bra.Sutter

M.Ferland

Abbotsford

P.Di Giuseppe -D.Klimovich- A.Chiasson

N.Petan -S.Dries- S.Rempal

J.Stevens -C.Focht- W.Lockwood

K.Plasek -C.Wouters- J.Lukosevicius

V.Arseneau -T.Nielsen- E.Keppen

J.Rathbone - J.Woo

B.Hunt - M.Bowey

A.Sautner - N.Juulsen

A.Brubacher - D.Stephens 

C.Schilling A.Kannok-Leipert

M.DiPietro

A.Silovs

S.Martin

Edited by ZH96

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm sure OEL would be thrilled to play for Tocchet again.

He’s not in the re-building and political turmoil mess that is the Coyotes anymore. He’s where he wanted to be in Vancouver under his good Swedish pals in the Sedins. So what difference does it make?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

He’s not in the re-building and political turmoil mess that is the Coyotes anymore. He’s where he wanted to be in Vancouver under his good Swedish pals in the Sedins. So what difference does it make?

The two men really don't get along, and it was a big part of the reason he wanted a trade in the first place.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Brad Shaw.

I like it. St.Louis let an assistant in Craig Berube take over in 2019 and went from last place to a cup win over a stacked Boston team. Maybe promote Shaw and bring in Boudreau or Julien as a new assistant.

44 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hamonic has a multi year deal I don’t like the idea of retaining.

We’re getting hit with $1,850,000 for however much time he spends in the minors anyway so trading him at 50% retained is actually cheaper as it stands LOL. Plus it’s the rest of this season and then one more year for $1,500,000 not a big deal. Plus Luongos money comes off the books next season.

I'm confused -- Vancouver could use a 3rd pair LHD, I agree, and Beaulieu has had good seasons, but this season he's only playing single digit minutes in 5 games... and he's supposed to be some sort of savior?  Also I'd rather see if Hamonic can help our RHD (which has arguably looked better with Myers and Poolman) and defense in general instead of gifting him to Winnipeg (Schmidt's almost a point per game defenseman btw). 

Bobby Ryan also isn't some big add, in fact after tonight's game I don't think he'd replace any of Lammikko/ Highmore/ Chiasson since they worked so well as an energy unit.  
For the current issues, it's getting the top guys going (Garland, Horvat and Miller at times have been fine but Petey/ Boeser/ Hoglander haven't).  It might be a tougher fix, but I think the defense it's a systems thing and... whatever it takes to get the franchise guys going.  Not likely that comes by adding a 34 year old Bobby Ryan.  

1 hour ago, ZH96 said:

We’re getting hit with $1,850,000 for however much time he spends in the minors anyway so trading him at 50% retained is actually cheaper as it stands LOL. Plus it’s the rest of this season and then one more year for $1,500,000 not a big deal. Plus Luongos money comes off the books next season.

The Luongo money is nearly all but gone to cover for the increase in the buyout cap hit for Virtanen/Holtby from 550K to 2.4M and the bonus overages.  Halak needs to play just 8 more games to get 1.25M in performance bonus and because they are in LTIR and can't bank cap space, that amount will count against next season's cap.  Even without Hamonic, they would still be in LTIR.  

14 hours ago, ZH96 said:

But he’s reporting to the minors so doesn’t that mean he intends to eventually play when he’s up to speed. Hamonic is much better than Beaulieu plus we keep the higher pick.

14 hours ago, mll said:

The Luongo money is nearly all but gone to cover for the increase in the buyout cap hit for Virtanen/Holtby from 550K to 2.4M and the bonus overages.  Halak needs to play just 8 more games to get 1.25M in performance bonus and because they are in LTIR and can't bank cap space, that amount will count against next season's cap.  Even without Hamonic, they would still be in LTIR.  

The Holtby and Virtanen buyouts will equal $2,400,000 but Luongos cap relief will be $3,035,212. Plus $1,500,000 of Hamonic gone  in this situation equals an extra $2,135,212 of cap space. We’re going to be in LTIR the next two seasons anyway especially with wanting to be a contending team now.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

But he’s reporting to the minors so doesn’t that mean he intends to eventually play when he’s up to speed. Hamonic is much better than Beaulieu plus we keep the higher pick.

I wouldn’t say Hamonic is much better than Beaulieu. He’s not healthier, he’s slower, older, and has far more personal issues that keep him away 1/4 of the time. Yes he intends to play but that would mean we have to waive one of Schenn or Burroughs (yes we could waive Hunt but that wouldn’t make sense from a line-up structure standpoint). We’ve lost enough players on waivers. This deal makes us significantly better. Schenn played very well last night, Poolman won’t be out  too long, and Burroughs improves every game. The RHD side will be fine, what needs addressing is the Hunt/Rathbone situation which is not working and is a big reason IMO why we’re struggling. Rathbone needs major seasoning before he becomes a Torey Krug-lite. And Hunt is a question mark if he is still mobile enough to be logging full time minutes. Beaulieu also has paired with Myers and Poolman in Winnipeg so it would be a seamless transition and instant chemistry for the team.

Ekman-Larsson - Demers

Hughes - Myers

Beaulieu - Poolman

Hunt / Schenn / Burroughs

(The above D-core is bigger, faster, more experienced, more aggressive, and deeper.)

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Hunt - Schenn

Rathbone - Burroughs

Edited by ZH96

17 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm confused -- Vancouver could use a 3rd pair LHD, I agree, and Beaulieu has had good seasons, but this season he's only playing single digit minutes in 5 games... and he's supposed to be some sort of savior?  Also I'd rather see if Hamonic can help our RHD (which has arguably looked better with Myers and Poolman) and defense in general instead of gifting him to Winnipeg (Schmidt's almost a point per game defenseman btw). 

Bobby Ryan also isn't some big add, in fact after tonight's game I don't think he'd replace any of Lammikko/ Highmore/ Chiasson since they worked so well as an energy unit.  
For the current issues, it's getting the top guys going (Garland, Horvat and Miller at times have been fine but Petey/ Boeser/ Hoglander haven't).  It might be a tougher fix, but I think the defense it's a systems thing and... whatever it takes to get the franchise guys going.  Not likely that comes by adding a 34 year old Bobby Ryan.  

Beaulieu is a former 1st round pick for a reason. He’s coming off missing most of last season due to a shoulder procedure is why his minutes aren’t big yet. And yes anyone better than Hunt or a raw Rathbone would make the team a lot better. Give Beaulieu even slightly more minutes than in Winnipeg and he helps. Or even rotate him in and out with Hunt and watch the difference. Schmidts a PPG so far in Winnipeg so what? We’re not gifting them Hamonic by getting a younger, healthier, bigger, and faster D-man in return. And if you think Chiasson would hold a spot over Bobby Ryan than I don’t know what you’ve watched the last ten years. Ryan was top five in the league in goals and was on a hot pace before his injury last year. The injuries to Motte and Sutter and then losing Gadjovich and MacEwen and now Dickinson, Dowling, and Highmore.. calls for some depth at forward and someone of Ryans caliber would help. He’s scored 30 goals multiple times, has loads of playoff, Olympic, and overall experience and a high character level for the locker room. Will go through a wall for his teammates and if he stays healthy (which placing him in more of a depth role should help him do) still has some of the best hands around. He would rub off in the locker room, be a great voice, help in shootouts, be an upgrade on the powerplay on Chiasson, and teach Pettersson and Boeser so much.

Edited by ZH96

49 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Beaulieu is a former 1st round pick for a reason. He’s coming off missing most of last season due to a shoulder procedure is why his minutes aren’t big yet. And yes anyone better than Hunt or a raw Rathbone would make the team a lot better. Give Beaulieu even slightly more minutes than in Winnipeg and he helps. Or even rotate him in and out with Hunt and watch the difference. Schmidts a PPG so far in Winnipeg so what? We’re not gifting them Hamonic by getting a younger, healthier, bigger, and faster D-man in return. And if you think Chiasson would hold a spot over Bobby Ryan than I don’t know what you’ve watched the last ten years. Ryan was top five in the league in goals and was on a hot pace before his injury last year. The injuries to Motte and Sutter and then losing Gadjovich and MacEwen and now Dickinson, Dowling, and Highmore.. calls for some depth at forward and someone of Ryans caliber would help. He’s scored 30 goals multiple times, has loads of playoff, Olympic, and overall experience and a high character level for the locker room. Will go through a wall for his teammates and if he stays healthy (which placing him in more of a depth role should help him do) still has some of the best hands around. He would rub off in the locker room, be a great voice, help in shootouts, be an upgrade on the powerplay on Chiasson, and teach Pettersson and Boeser so much.

I would agree that he would help (at least on paper) at the bottom of the LHD pairings.
That being said, I don't think past performance dictates how a player will perform, esp. in sports like hockey.  While I think Ryan could help, it's probably best not to overhype what he can be, particularly when everyone is healthy again.  At present he could be a good scorer to add.  When everyone's healthy I think they line up like this

Miller - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Bo - Garland
Hoglander - JD - Podkolzin
Motte - Lammikko - Chiasson/ Ryan

In this case, there shouldn't be any reason (short of him beating them for a spot up the lineup) to have Ryan take playing time away from Hog/ Podz etc.  Him as a 4th line or 13th forward ahead of Petan I can see myself supporting, but not further up the lineup.

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

I wouldn’t say Hamonic is much better than Beaulieu. He’s not healthier, he’s slower, older, and has far more personal issues that keep him away 1/4 of the time. Yes he intends to play but that would mean we have to waive one of Schenn or Burroughs (yes we could waive Hunt but that wouldn’t make sense from a line-up structure standpoint). We’ve lost enough players on waivers. This deal makes us significantly better. Schenn played very well last night, Poolman won’t be out  too long, and Burroughs improves every game. The RHD side will be fine, what needs addressing is the Hunt/Rathbone situation which is not working and is a big reason IMO why we’re struggling. Rathbone needs major seasoning before he becomes a Torey Krug-lite. And Hunt is a question mark if he is still mobile enough to be logging full time minutes. Beaulieu also has paired with Myers and Poolman in Winnipeg so it would be a seamless transition and instant chemistry for the team.

Ekman-Larsson - Demers

Hughes - Myers

Beaulieu - Poolman

Hunt / Schenn / Burroughs

(The above D-core is bigger, faster, more experienced, more aggressive, and deeper.)

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Hunt - Schenn

Rathbone - Burroughs

Even with all the negative stuff around Hamonic he can still give you 20+ minutes a night of solid defence. Personally I wouldn’t mind adding Beaulieu but not if it’s sending Hamonic who looks like he’s on his way to playing because Hamonic even after all that stuff is the better player. Beaulieu would be good to add to get Burroughs out of the lineup. Haven’t liked his game too much I find he’s frantic on the puck and coughs up turnovers and takes bad penalties. Maybe it’s a bit harsh of putting that on Burroughs because he is also playing with a guy that’s needing to be sheltered in Rathbone. Either way this defence looks bad so I’d kind of like both Hamonic and Beaulieu on it.

31 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I would agree that he would help (at least on paper) at the bottom of the LHD pairings.
That being said, I don't think past performance dictates how a player will perform, esp. in sports like hockey.  While I think Ryan could help, it's probably best not to overhype what he can be, particularly when everyone is healthy again.  At present he could be a good scorer to add.  When everyone's healthy I think they line up like this

Miller - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Bo - Garland
Hoglander - JD - Podkolzin
Motte - Lammikko - Chiasson/ Ryan

In this case, there shouldn't be any reason (short of him beating them for a spot up the lineup) to have Ryan take playing time away from Hog/ Podz etc.  Him as a 4th line or 13th forward ahead of Petan I can see myself supporting, but not further up the lineup.

I don’t go off of past performance alone and if I was going off of past performance I would have B.Ryan as the first line RW. If you saw I wrote him as the 13th F and signed him for league minimum. How is that overhyping? If anything that’s slapping the face of a

U.S. Olympian and a four time 30+ goal scorer that’s elevated his game every time he’s been in the playoffs and basically treating him as a Chiasson or worse. Tell me how Podkolzin or Hoglander have shown enough so far that they deserve to hold their spots? Besides Green likes steady veterans over young players anyways… If Chiasson can be further up the lineup at times (PP unit 1 net front) than so can B.Ryan. We can develop young players while also letting skilled veterans create depth to try and go on a run in the spring. And yes Beaulieu with a healthy Poolman would significantly improve the D (especially if we sign Demers too like I had in my proposal). 

25 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Even with all the negative stuff around Hamonic he can still give you 20+ minutes a night of solid defence. Personally I wouldn’t mind adding Beaulieu but not if it’s sending Hamonic who looks like he’s on his way to playing because Hamonic even after all that stuff is the better player. Beaulieu would be good to add to get Burroughs out of the lineup. Haven’t liked his game too much I find he’s frantic on the puck and coughs up turnovers and takes bad penalties. Maybe it’s a bit harsh of putting that on Burroughs because he is also playing with a guy that’s needing to be sheltered in Rathbone. Either way this defence looks bad so I’d kind of like both Hamonic and Beaulieu on it.

How about this than.. (Line-up I wrote this way due to current injuries)

Canucks acquire: D Nathan Beaulieu

7th Round Draft Pick 2023

Jets acquire: F Matthew Highmore

D Madison Bowey

5th Round Draft Pick 2024

Miller -Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Garland

Hoglander -Petan- Bailey

Lammikko -Stevens- Podkolzin

Chiasson

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic