The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire, Fire and Trade

STAFF TRANSACTIONS

Fire Travis Green and Nolan Baumgartner.

Then promote Brad Shaw to head coach and hire Guy Boucher and Bruce Boudreau as assistant coaches.

ROSTER’(S) TRANSACTIONS

Trade

Canucks acquire: D Travis Dermott

7th Round Draft Pick 2024

Maple Leafs acquire: D Travis Hamonic

(50% $ retained^)
                                   F Matthew Highmore

3rd Round Draft Pick 2024

Miller -Pettersson- Podkolzin

Pearson -Horvat- Boeser

Hoglander -Petan- Garland

Bailey -Lammikko- Chiasson

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Burroughs

Hunt - 

Demko

Halak

IR

Dickinson

Poolman

Dowling

Brisebois

LTIR

Motte

Keeper

Sutter

Ferland

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ZH96 said:

STAFF TRANSACTIONS

Then promote Brad Shaw to head coach and hire Guy Boucher and Bruce Boudreau as assistant coaches.

ROSTER’(S) TRANSACTIONS

Trade

(50% $ retained^)
                                   F Matthew Highmore

Pearson -Horvat- Boeser

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Burroughs

Hunt - 

Demko

Halak

IR

Dickinson

Poolman

Dowling

Brisebois

LTIR

Motte

Keeper

Sutter

Ferland

I would be in favor of this coaching change. Not too sure about the trade, but I think these coaches will bring the best out of the players. 

• 3 weeks later...

I get Green is the low hanging fruit, and coaches are often the first to go - I don't think this is Green's fault though. Our Blue line is one of the most expensive in the league now and nowhere near one of the better units...in fact we are one of the worst at the moment. Half our blue line is made of up fringe NHL players and likely AHL caliber D men. Poolman, Hunt, Burroughs, Schenn (arguable), Rathbone. People defend Jim aggressively on here as if blaming the G.M is hate speech or blasphemous , but when do we point the finger at the man who built this team the last 8 years, 8 years of rebuilding with one overachieving playoff run...how long of a rope does Jim get???. We knew this D core wasn't good enough before the season started, everybody called it. Half of them aren't NHL caliber players. Demko is left on an island too many times, he deserves better. 

• Cheers 2

On 11/16/2021 at 12:17 PM, CJ44 said:

I get Green is the low hanging fruit, and coaches are often the first to go - I don't think this is Green's fault though. Our Blue line is one of the most expensive in the league now and nowhere near one of the better units...in fact we are one of the worst at the moment. Half our blue line is made of up fringe NHL players and likely AHL caliber D men. Poolman, Hunt, Burroughs, Schenn (arguable), Rathbone. People defend Jim aggressively on here as if blaming the G.M is hate speech or blasphemous , but when do we point the finger at the man who built this team the last 8 years, 8 years of rebuilding with one overachieving playoff run...how long of a rope does Jim get???. We knew this D core wasn't good enough before the season started, everybody called it. Half of them aren't NHL caliber players. Demko is left on an island too many times, he deserves better. 

This is sad but true.   What's on Green too though is Gadj and OJ getting turfed for plugs.   At least OJ could PK.   In favour of a guy who could be put in the AHL safely.    Maybe things will still work out ... but i'm not holding my breath no matter whom is coaching.  

• Cheers 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:27 PM, ZH96 said:

STAFF TRANSACTIONS

ROSTER’(S) TRANSACTIONS

Trade

(50% $ retained^)
                                   F Matthew Highmore

Pearson -Horvat- Boeser

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Burroughs

Hunt - 

Demko

Halak

IR

Dickinson

Poolman

Dowling

Brisebois

LTIR

Motte

Keeper

Sutter

Ferland

Hamonic is better than Dermott. 

19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hamonic is better than Dermott. 

Yeah okay…. A 30+ year old borderline injury-prone and inconsistent D-man that’s away with personal issues half the time is better than a 24 year old, still developing, big, strong, aggressive, quick skating D-man…

4 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Yeah okay…. A 30+ year old borderline injury-prone and inconsistent D-man that’s away with personal issues half the time is better than a 24 year old, still developing, big, strong, aggressive, quick skating D-man…

Right now. Hamonic would be more sought after. McDermott is good but I think the Hammer would draw more interest than Skin Doctor. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Right now. Hamonic would be more sought after. McDermott is good but I think the Hammer would draw more interest than Skin Doctor. 

I recite everything I said and also to add that Dermott is half the price. If we could trade Hamonic for Dermott one for one I would run like highway robbery after pulling the trigger. I think it would instantly solve the LHD depth underneath Ekman-Larsson and Hughes.

• Vintage 1

I liked Travis Green but I can't see how he can stay the head coach much longer (he's a good coach and he will have more luck coaching a different team).  I think the coaches responsible for powerplay and penalty kill need to go first but it will likely be a clean sweep of all the coaches.  I would also fire Jim Benning asap and scrap this 5 year re-tool plan and go full rebuild (yep, right from scratch - should have done it years ago; better late than never).  Even Buffalo is finally trending in the right direction after all their abysmal years now that they have accumulated several high draft picks.

The only players I would exempt from trade proposals are Quinn Hughes, Elias Petterson (his stock has collapsed anyway now), Thatcher Demko, Nils Hoglander, Podkholzin and maybe Bo Horvat (who I like a lot).  Maybe also keep Tyler Myers but I'd be open to a possible trade.

Regardless of who coaches this team, we won't make the playoffs this year or next year with the players we have now.