The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Morgan Reilly

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I would not be surprised if Matthews gets traded to Arizona, and Marner gets traded. 

Marner is overpaid, but he at least cares about the team. Matthews is too worried about what to wear on his way to the rink. 

This. I would trade AM. Maybe Vegas? His value is highest of their bad contacts. Marner with that contract is almost negative value. The Leafs would need to swallow at least two million of that contract for an winger that doesn't show up when needed most. He's afraid of his own shadow. 

I know he's rough defensively, but this is a great contract given the other ones that have been given out. He's making less than Hughes and I'd argue they are pretty much the same one way scoring defenseman. Hughes is more efficient but Rielly is not afraid to get in front of pucks, gets less favorable zone usage, and is a tad more physical, AND Rielly was going to be a UFA at the end of this season. He coulda made way more. Rielly doing Toronto a huge solid with this contract. Funny how after all is said and done Rielly and Nylander would have the best contracts on that team outta their star players.

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I know he's rough defensively, but this is a great contract given the other ones that have been given out. He's making less than Hughes and I'd argue they are pretty much the same one way scoring defenseman. Hughes is more efficient but Rielly is not afraid to get in front of pucks, gets less favorable zone usage, and is a tad more physical, AND Rielly was going to be a UFA at the end of this season. He coulda made way more. Rielly doing Toronto a huge solid with this contract. Funny how after all is said and done Rielly and Nylander would have the best contracts on that team outta their star players.

Hughes still had a chance of learning how to play like an NHLer in good own zone.  Rough defensively is a very generous assessment of Rielly.  That's a negative value contract.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Maybe a Drew Doughty type of dman/contract

Marner and 2 unprotected firsts for Chychrun.  It's going to cost Dumbass plenty to get rid of that floater with teams knowing he has to.  At least his playoff effort level won't be a problem in Arizona.

Edited by King Heffy

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Will they trade Marner? He probably makes the most sense. Can't see them parting with Matthews or Tavares, and Nylander at least earns his salary. 

Marner needs to get out of Toronto, and go play somewhere where he can escape the limelight. It's really gotten to him.

Not sure the Leafs will get much for him without retention though. That cap hit is a problem.

• Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Marner and 2 unprotected firsts for Cychrun.  It's going to cost Dumbass plenty to get rid of that floater with teams knowing he has to.  At least his playoff effort level won't be a problem in Arizona.

That's actually good value. Would save Toronto 6.3 million a year and the chances of Toronto being a lottery team are slim to none. 

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Will they trade Marner? He probably makes the most sense. Can't see them parting with Matthews or Tavares, and Nylander at least earns his salary. 

Marner is the hometown kid and may actually be the face of the franchise over Matthews. Matthews likely signs in Arizona in a couple years anyway.

W.Nylander or A.Kerfoot + T.Dermott will be traded.