The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Morgan Reilly

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

By the way you’re viewing him and what you think people think of him and his style… Quinn Hughes is also a disgrace to the franchise.. 

Hughes is nowhere near as much of a liability as Hunt.  He's not a shutdown guy, but he's nowhere near as awful defensively as Rielly, Barrie, Weber, Larsen, Pouliot, and Hunt, none of whom are, have been, or will be capable of playing NHL quality defence.  He's also young enough to improve further.  Hunt has proven over a long period of time that he's absolute trash.

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, rekker said:

OEL is better than Rielly imho. You won't hear that in the media, but OEL is a way more complete dman. 

Trying to make an argument that OEL is better than Reilly is stretching it I think. Reilly has a better +/- and PPG stat. He's also younger which means time is in his side. 

I get were supposed to dislike the leafs and prep up players from the Canucks. But this is a bit of a stretch

16 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Trying to make an argument that OEL is better than Reilly is stretching it I think. Reilly has a better +/- and PPG stat. He's also younger which means time is in his side. 

I get were supposed to dislike the leafs and prep up players from the Canucks. But this is a bit of a stretch

It’s not a stretch. Rielly is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Ekman-Larsson is bigger, far more tenacious and physical (in a way that can swing momentum for his team), he’s far headier, smarter, safer with the puck, a better leader, has a better point shot, and a longer reach.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:16 AM, iinatcc said:

Totally disagree. Leafs players are constantly overrated and Reilly is as well. He's a tire fire in his own end and OEL has him beat there easliy. OEL is more physical and has more edge. It's not so much that OEL is better, rather a long list of dmen are. Reilly is absolute trash in his own end. Next game really focus on him and you will notice it.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:34 AM, ZH96 said:

It’s not a stretch. Rielly is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Ekman-Larsson is bigger, far more tenacious and physical (in a way that can swing momentum for his team), he’s far headier, smarter, safer with the puck, a better leader, has a better point shot, and a longer reach.

For sure, and it's the media to blame. In recent years, remember Phaneuf for Team Canada in Sochi? Remember Gartner as a legit top pairing dman. How did all that turn out? Holl is a bottom pairing dman, but in TO he's a legit top four, uncovered diamond. It's part of why we hate the Leafs and their pumped up players. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2021 at 7:37 PM, King Heffy said:

Hughes is nowhere near as much of a liability as Hunt.  He's not a shutdown guy, but he's nowhere near as awful defensively as Rielly, Barrie, Weber, Larsen, Pouliot, and Hunt, none of whom are, have been, or will be capable of playing NHL quality defence.  He's also young enough to improve further.  Hunt has proven over a long period of time that he's absolute trash.

Your hate boner for Toronto/Rielly is kinda wild.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I don't like defensemen who can't play defense, regards of their team.

Reilly, if he played the right way, could be a fantastic two way D.  He’s 220 pounds.  Something is off with him though.  Maybe he just doesn’t think the game quick enough to be decent defensively?  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Reilly, if he played the right way, could be a fantastic two way D.  He’s 220 pounds.  Something is off with him though.  Maybe he just doesn’t think the game quick enough to be decent defensively?  

Either that or it's not a priority for him.  There's no real excuse for having that much talent and still playing like complete trash defensively.

As a Canuck fan - that is a great deal for the Laffs.  

It seems like Dubas hasn't heard of the cap and the only way he seems to convince players to stay is to overpay.  Anyways, I hope Dubas continues to do whatever it is he is doing cause it will only keep there cup drough alot longer than the Canucks.

It's a fair deal. Rielly had that one massive season otherwise he is a one-dimensional OFD who doesn't play tough minutes but gives up a lot defensively. His offence more than makes up for it but I honestly don't think he is worth anymore. 

I can see Matthews going to Arizona as a piece to build around. They will have the cap space but might not have the trade pieces. 

morganrielly.jpeg