The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 30th, 2021, 7:00 PM Pacific | CBC | 2021 Halloween Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

Oilers @ Canucks  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow.  I'm a little embarrassed at how many of our fans have given up on our team (not built for the playoffs, not built for the regular season - dual personality disorder in other posts/threads it's all the coaching staff other wise we'd be winning!).   Let me remind you of a stupid team that beat us after our cup run...back to back presidents trophies! Favourites AGAIN going into the first round ... all we had to beat was the lowly , barely made it into the playoffs, LA.    What happened?   Quick did a similar job that Thomas did, and they won a cup as a bubble team.    Then they missed the playoffs.   Then they freaking did it again!!   Completely ruined my dialogue that it was a total fluke.   Still believe it was really.   

In other words - LA ... proved that any team can win the cup these days.   Dallas....MTL and others proved that you can make the final too.   It really is a game of inches.  We aren't getting "blown out".   It's not like last year.    At least so far.    Glad the ones running the team also have perspective.    

All i want is some more reps in the playoff before writing this team off.   Early 90's Canucks had it going back to 89.   Almost beat a top 13 or so team all-time, better ranked then the 94 Rangers...who also made the cut as a top 25 all-time team.   2011 Boston?  Nowhere to be seen in those rankings. 

We can beat teams.   Give it time.  Not enough yet to be jumping of cliffs or pulling out pitchforks. 

Well that puke Duncan Keith *DID* have something to do with that playoff loss to the Kings.  Daniel didn't miss that entire first round but he was hardly in fully game shape when he DID return.  Not saying we would've won that series but it was tough enough to beat that team (who ran over everone else those playoffs) let alone go in with one arm tied behind your back.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Some fans are unseasoned and need to see the big picture and how tough it is to win a professional sports championship.

Others have been here for the long haul, but attribute a "history" to this team that goes beyond their involvement here and fail to recognize that "this" team isn't responsible for 50 years of no cup.  You have to clean the slate with new personnel in the line up - give them TIME to write THEIR history.

I've learned to have patience....Lions were 0-5 in an 18 game season when they won the cup.  I was there to watch it all unfold....long after many fans had trashed the team and abandoned ship.

I do get the frustration, it's warranted.  But take a breathe and allow time to heal those wounds.

A season is long in the NHL, we need to pace ourselves.  LET'S GO CANUCKS!!!

You bet Deb!  Eventually we will win a cup.   When that happens a lot of anguish will be go up in a poof from this fanbase.   It could really be any year these days.    When our number is up ... well i sure hope a lot of us can rejoice together.   Go Canucks Go always!    

41 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

It's sad that these sell out players aren't standing up for their "brother"/teammate.  That their selfish stance is to protect their job rather than protect another human being.  Waste of space.

People slam our team for being soft but the character players we've had on board are important beyond the standings.  Sedins make me proud.  Sopel, as a former Canuck and one of the ONLY ones who stood beside Beach.  The culture in Chicago was seriously lacking in morals and ethics.  Beating up cab drivers was only scratching the surface it seems.  I'm back to really hating the Blackhawks...I take back what I said earlier.

Professional athletes with a sense of entitlement aren't limited to the Blackhawks...Matthews and how he treated the security guard.  We even have some of our own.  The NHL has some work to do and isn't all that they think they are...putting out statements only goes so far.  It's important that players with huge character flaws aren't able to just slide through unchecked.  

Not only sad, but down right embarrashing... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet Deb!  Eventually we will win a cup.    It could really be any year these days.    When our number is up ... well i sure hope a lot of us can rejoice together.   Go Canucks Go always!    

I thought that for years after seeing the 1994 loss as a 10 year old. Now at 37 ? I really don't know. There are haves and have-nots in everything in life. The Cancucks are one of those have-nots. It seems like the least deserving teams win the cup every year with the exception of Washington in 2018. The Oilers or Flames will probably win a cup before we do. Why. Just because.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's honestly like some people have never watched an NHL season of hockey before. Most teams don't have great starts to the season. Most teams "struggle" to carve out their identity in the first 20 games of the season. There are lots of ups and downs. What about the AVS, Bruins, Stars, Leafs, Isles, Knights, and Pens? Are their seasons all but over too?

A big part of hockey is learning from the disappointing stretches and getting better. That's why there are 82 games and smart hockey people don't just throw in the towel after a disappointing result or two. Especially when you're within a point of a playoff spot with a possible 128 points still on the table. :picard:

The team is not 0-8, they're playing .500 hockey. They haven't been blown out except one crappy game. They haven't been world beaters but they've played decent hockey in stretches, and poor in others. There have been bright spots like Garland, OEL, Burroughs, Demko, Halak, and Poolman. Hoglander and Bo have played well. Miller remains productive. Overall our defence has improved. Podkolzin is playing and getting experience.

Talk about jumping the gun and just being overly critical. There are 10 new players on the team. How about give the team a chance to gel a bit?

The problem is coaches have to learn from the disappointing stretches too and unfortunately ours have had a lot of disappointing stretches to work with and still have made no adjustments to their systems or strategies or player deployment decisions. 

This straw man that people are unnecessarily freaking out over a few games at the start of a season is just designed to absolve coaching of any blame. People are justifiably freaking out that Green has learned very little in the past 5 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Please please please....,

fans attending please let Duncan Keith know, what a $&!# team mate he has been....

I've got $50 for Canucks for kids, if he leave on a stercher... or at least someone finishes of, what Myers started.
Shocking revalation over the last few days from that rotten team, he use to play for.... 

Destroy Keith on and off the ice...

Were you drunk typing? lol

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's been pretty well advertised from the start that one of the key attributes about having Garland on the team is his versatility and ability to fill different roles.  That he is willing to do anything asked of him.  Sometimes you put a guy who's finding  success with other guys who aren't so it sparks them (too).  

He seems ok with it so I'm not sure why we aren't.  It's not really like grading him and he's demoted...it's about utilizing him where he's needed.

Well said Deb. It should be all about the team. :towel: :canucks:

Even though I was pretty disappointed last game I'm starting to look forward to tonight. Maybe Petey finally breaks out.

Cute African American woman fingers crossed isolated on white 1179614 Stock  Photo at Vecteezy

I know this post might not age well after tonight’s game. 

But I got a good feeling about this one. Even though it’s against the high powered Oilers and McGod. 

I think Petey breaks out tonight. Just by some of what he was saying the other day. I think he realizes what he needs to do, and what the issue is, and I think tonight, he’ll either break out offensively, or he’ll have a really good game offensively and defensively (without any points). 

Team might still lose tonight, but if Petey, Miller and Boeser all play better tonight, then I’ll take that as a sign that they’re individually turning the corner, and that bodes well for the team overall. 

• Like 1