The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching Staff

-SN-

Current Staff

This topic is meant for long-term discussion of the Canucks coaching staff, tactics and strategy. Please keep it to hockey and decisions on the ice, and avoid personal comments. 

image.png

June 17, 2022 Update:

1702221f55b45bd53f1e23a1e3f65603.png

• Thanks 4
  • Wat 1

The Edmonton Powerplays won the game last night.  This is the best pp in the league and a unit that has been together for years tweaking their pp. 

I thought the Canucks stepped up their execution last night and are getting closer to playing the kind of game they want to play.  Too soon to talk of changing the coaching staff.  Team needs some continuity.  They made some great plays last night, but didn't finish.    

• Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

The Edmonton Powerplays won the game last night.  This is the best pp in the league and a unit that has been together for years tweaking their pp. 

I thought the Canucks stepped up their execution last night and are getting closer to playing the kind of game they want to play.  Too soon to talk of changing the coaching staff.  Team needs some continuity.  They made some great plays last night, but didn't finish.    

Probably the best game of the year for EP too.

• Cheers 1

The Canucks have barely played with a lead this season so it is hard to comment on how they are defending the lead.  Goals get scored in transition with odd man rushes. Teams aren't giving up odd man rushes against them because they've had the lead playing on the road.   In all three games the opposition has had power plays in the first period.  Canucks didn't get a pp till 4 minutes left in the games last night.  

Green would maybe make a decent assistant coach in the NHL, but enough already. If the Aquas really want to win, they can't cut costs on the guy coaching/directing the team. They need a head coach with experience, and who's won before, or at the least a winning record. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

One thing I will say is this....some here think it's much easier to win a SC than it is.

These are  current active coaches who have more than one SC win (and by more than one, I mean 2) at least according to the list I checked:

Jon Cooper

Mike Sullivan

Darryl Sutter

Joel Cringeville

Coaches with one:  Craig Berube, Torts, Julien, Trotz

Some of us talk like you just slot in a "winning coach" but they're in great demand.  

I've been talking about my openness to a change...but I also know it's slim pickings out there and it's very much a "be careful what you wish for" deal.  

https://records.nhl.com/records/coach-records

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think we're fortunate to have these two as a base to work with. Clark is kind of an independent operator so I don't think changes will effect him. 

I guess the big question I have more than anything else, is why are we seeing this team struggle in the same manner as previous years with so much more talent now?

The roster is upgraded but coaching staff doesn't seem up to scratch. If a change is to be made who is out there to suit the canucks roster??