The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching Staff

-SN-

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Here's hoping, depends on whether they choose to stick with the interim coach for the season and look at candidates in the offseason or not imo

I highly doubt any new hire looks at Baumgartner's idiotic system and thinks he's fit to coach at any level, let alone the NHL.  Shaw can easily handle the defence without having an unqualified moron sabotaging his efforts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I highly doubt any new hire looks at Baumgartner's idiotic system and thinks he's fit to coach at any level, let alone the NHL.  Shaw can easily handle the defence without having an unqualified moron sabotaging his efforts.

I agree, it's just less common for assistants to be turfed during the season 

14 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

4 out of the 6 d weren't playing here last year.  2 rookies on the team.  At least 3 new forwards on the team, a whole new look bottom 6 really...   some Canucks fans... fire all the coaches save maybe 2 of them after 8 games.    

Keep in mind that Baumgartner has proven himself to be grossly incompetent over his entire tenure here, and Green showed terrible judgment by keeping him around.  Then you add in the disastrous training camp where we lose 2 useful players in order to keep AHL trash like Chiasson, Petan, and Hunt to appease Green's love of useless hockey players, and it's fair that people weren't going to have a lot of patience.  Green has already caused permanent damage by convincing Benning to waive Gadjovich over players who have demonstrated they are not good enough to play in the NHL, even in an emergency.  If this is one of those math problems where they're asking what happens next, the answer is "the Canucks don't want to know."

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Keep in mind that Baumgartner has proven himself to be grossly incompetent over his entire tenure here, and Green showed terrible judgment by keeping him around.  Then you add in the disastrous training camp where we lose 2 useful players in order to keep AHL trash like Chiasson, Petan, and Hunt to appease Green's love of useless hockey players, and it's fair that people weren't going to have a lot of patience.  Green has already caused permanent damage by convincing Benning to waive Gadjovich over players who have demonstrated they are not good enough to play in the NHL, even in an emergency.  If this is one of those math problems where they're asking what happens next, the answer is "the Canucks don't want to know."

I agree to a point, Hunt hasn't been good.  Petan hasn't even suited up so why call him trash? MacEwen couldn't accept and distribute a pass all preseason long.  I agree on Gadjovich and feel he could be one that got away, but was and is questionable whether he'd make the roster and likely not as effective as Lammikko.  Gadjovich is -2 in 3 games with 19 PIMS.  Chiasson played a good game last night, saw 3 great hits from him.      

Just now, Comeback_Kings said:

I agree to a point, Hunt hasn't been good.  Petan hasn't even suited up so why call him trash? MacEwen couldn't accept and distribute a pass all preseason long.  I agree on Gadjovich and feel he could be one that got away, but was and is questionable whether he'd make the roster and likely not as effective as Lammikko.  Gadjovich is -2 in 3 games with 19 PIMS.  Chiasson played a good game last night, saw 3 great hits from him.      

Because Petan is absolutely useless.  Too soft for bottom 6 and not talented enough for top 6.  He's another Ebbett/Megna who has no business being in an NHL lineup.  At least Mac and Gadj, despite their wards, do something well enough to put them in the lineup to let them do it. 

At their highest point(Edm bubble PO's) in TG's tenure, felt his lack of imagination was sorely exposed. Since then, have really soured on this guy.

Also disappointed in JB for not having identified this problem on time. These guys have virtually squandered all our muscle, & thrown developing youth overboard, for NO apparent F***ing reason.

IFfff this team manages to turn a corner & win some games, opponents will simply start to physically trample them. Deterrents are mostly gonzo.

57 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A bunch of AHL bums

dude, you can have your gripes with how the team is doing but these kind of comments are unnecessary.

Getting coaching gigs in the NHL is hyper competitive.  To get one you’ve got to know your stuff at fairly substantive level. 

Doesn’t always mean there’s a fit, but let’s keep the plugs/bums talk out of it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Might not be a popular candidate here, but I think this team needs a veteran coach like Julien to take control of that room, cause right now, It seems like Miller run that locker room.

No veteran coach would tolerate his stick smashing, loud cursing (after HIS giveaways) and overall body language and defend him in the post game like Green does. 

He would have no problem benching Pettersson if he doesn't perform, Green does the opposite. He's already benched Hoglander and Garland in this young season for some unknown reasons. 

Julien could give our team an identity and passion behind the bench. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

dude, you can have your gripes with how the team is doing but these kind of comments are unnecessary.

Getting coaching gigs in the NHL is hyper competitive.  To get one you’ve got to know your stuff at fairly substantive level. 

The only thing Baumgartner knows about NHL defence is that he couldn't play it.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

When was the last time you heard about a Canucks coaching search (head coach or assistants) where anyone described it as comprehensive, thorough, and leaving no stone unturned.

Not in Benning’s tenure, that’s for sure. He is absolutely myopic when he gets his mind set on a certain guy to the point of ignoring a complete lack of relevant experience and a comprehensive search.

King and Baumgartner are, by all accounts, AHL guys who were never able to translate it to the NHL. They have literally no relevant experience or results personally or as coaches that anyone should have confidence in at this level.

• Thanks 1

Some of my concerns this year:

-- PP looks like the stale old stuff.  It should be top 5-10 in the league and it isn't.  It's predictable and needs to become more dynamic -- that is on the coaches.

-- Green's line blending.  Makes you wonder why have lines in practice.  He gives them 5 minutes in a game and then throws the whole thing away if he doesn't like what he sees.

-- He loses players and shortens the bench every game.  This makes it hard for the team to push late as they have logged so many minutes, increases the chance of injuries (playing tired) and teaches lower players that at any time any mistake an their are benched.  -- Of course they will only do 'safe' things like dump and chase.  

-- Petey is struggling.  He is also playing 3 minutes a game more than his career average.  Other players have an off shift (or have a fight, or score a goal) and he benches them. 

-- Green does not have consistent rules or approaches to players regarding accountability.  He has two types -- 'I trust no matter what' or 'waiting for you to disappoint me so I can bench you'

-- Bo -- is he the captain or Miller?  Miller is great when things are going great and pouts when it isn't.  And he is the Alpha on the team.  If the team is not playing like a team and not working together that is either on the coaches or the captain.  I don't know (honestly don't know just wondering) if Bo's leadership can handle Miller in the locker room.

(Bo and Bess are my two favorite players for context so don't think I'm dumping on Bo. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Comeback_Kings said:

The Edmonton Powerplays won the game last night.  This is the best pp in the league and a unit that has been together for years tweaking their pp. 

I thought the Canucks stepped up their execution last night and are getting closer to playing the kind of game they want to play.  Too soon to talk of changing the coaching staff.  Team needs some continuity.  They made some great plays last night, but didn't finish.    

Losing 2-1 and only scoring with 5 seconds left is stepping up execution? We had more dump ins than actual scoring chances I’m not sure where you saw that last night.