The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching Staff

-SN-

56 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Might not be a popular candidate here, but I think this team needs a veteran coach like Julien to take control of that room, cause right now, It seems like Miller run that locker room.

No veteran coach would tolerate his stick smashing, loud cursing (after HIS giveaways) and overall body language and defend him in the post game like Green does. 

This. Exactly this. 

Players need to take responsibility for their own actions. This is nothing new with Miller and he needs to act like more of a professional. 

Yes. It is a known fact that hockey players cuss like sailors but these tantrums are minor league. It's literally what you would see in a house league with 15 year old kids, not something a professional should be doing.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I'm not saying don't fire Green, but I hear so many fans complaining about Green's system without actually explaining (a) what they think Green's "system" is and (b) what they think is wrong with it. It is like "system" has just become some buzzword that everyone uses. 

green system is get  the puck in the offensive zone  pass back to the point and shoot  then skate back to the dzone chasing another 2-1 back or stand around in a static position then the  fire drill happens where the canucks get gassed chasing . 

9 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This. Exactly this. 

Players need to take responsibility for their own actions. This is nothing new with Miller and he needs to act like more of a professional. 

Yes. It is a known fact that hockey players cuss like sailors but these tantrums are minor league. It's literally what you would see in a house league with 15 year old kids, not something a professional should be doing.

My 15 year olds get to skate when they act like that on the ice lol.

22 minutes ago, Pears said:

Losing 2-1 and only scoring with 5 seconds left is stepping up execution? We had more dump ins than actual scoring chances I’m not sure where you saw that last night. 

It's the dump ins that puzzle me.  Fine if the forwards are built like Kassian or Lucic or Getzlaf or Svechnikov, but asking players like Garland, Hoglander, Petterson etc. to retrieve the puck is a tad optimistic.  At least Podkolzin has some size and isn't loathe to use his body.  In fact, he's very enthusiastic and if he keeps getting less than 10 mins ice time each game he'll start to lose his enthusiasm.  If Green's rationale for restricting his ice time is because he doesn't want mistakes to cost the game, he needs to look around because ALL the current roster players are prone to making mistakes right now.  Let the kid play and hope that his youthful enthusiasm is contagious.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This. Exactly this. 

As much as I loved Miller during that bubble season, I've made up my mind that he is one of the problems on this team.

I'd trade him to strengthen our left defence and/or get a cheap top 9 forward. We have capable top 6 scorers: EP, Boeser, Horvat, Garland, Hog, Podz, and Pearson are all capable of playing in the top 6.

Get a guy like Blake Coleman as TB did using the draft pick that we gave up to get Miller. Form a line of  with Dickinson, Podz, and new guy.

When healthy and everyone is back:

Hog-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Garland

New guy-Dickinson-Podz

Motte-Lammikko-Sutter

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Poolman

new LD-Hamonic

Demko

Halak

Coach: Not Green.

Assistant coach: Not Baumgartner.

It's going to be refreshing to not have Miller running the PP#1 from the wrong side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

Might not be a popular candidate here, but I think this team needs a veteran coach like Julien to take control of that room, cause right now, It seems like Miller run that locker room.

No veteran coach would tolerate his stick smashing, loud cursing (after HIS giveaways) and overall body language and defend him in the post game like Green does. 

He would have no problem benching Pettersson if he doesn't perform, Green does the opposite. He's already benched Hoglander and Garland in this young season for some unknown reasons. 

Julien could give our team an identity and passion behind the bench. 

Anyone but Claude "hypocrite" Julien.

I don't think I can stand the guy. It could be Mike Keenan season 2. Hiring a coach that beat us in the last cup final. No, the wound is still too deep to accept Julien as the coach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think we're fortunate to have these two as a base to work with. Clark is kind of an independent operator so I don't think changes will effect him. 

I guess the big question I have more than anything else, is why are we seeing this team struggle in the same manner as previous years with so much more talent now?

This should be the best roster we've had under Benning unless you count his first year (not that it was a great lineup, but it was full of vets who knew how to handle themselves).

That said, there are holes all over the roster that were hidden by the optimism of the off-season:

• Majority of the team is soft or small and it's most glaring in the top-6 as they are often too busy getting pushed around in their own zone instead of playing offense.
  • Only guy with real "jam" in our top-6 seems to be preoccupied with temper tantrums (Green should really check if Miller is getting his afternoon nap in).
  • Top-4 defense still needs a strong defense-first D-man; I've been pleasantly surprised by Poolman but still am not convinced he's a top-4 on a contender. Someone who can really settle things down against top lines and push the puck out of our zone efficiently on a consistent basis. You know, someone like that Tanev guy.

Like I've said in another thread, when you list off the names in the top half of our lineup it seems like quite the talented group, but there really is no rhyme or reason to the overall roster construction. It's an offense-first team and when we're clicking, we're fun to watch and hard to stop, but it's just not clicking right now. Other than a short run in that COVID year, it pretty much has never clicked under Green.

No coach is going to be able to magically turn this roster into a powerhouse but at the same time, there's too much talent on paper (and great goaltending) for us to be a below .500 team.

All that said, 2 of our ~4 best forwards (which includes our best player in general) have been extremely disappointing and it's tough for any team to be successful through that.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Anyone but Claude "hypocrite" Julien.

I don't think I can stand the guy. It could be Mike Keenan season 2. Hiring a coach that beat us in the last cup final. No, the wound is still too deep to accept Julien as the coach.

His entire job was to beat us in the Finals. I don’t think it was personal. 

I am kind of shocked he hasn’t been on Benning’s radar yet since he loves old Boston players and anyone from Boston on the team.

I bet almost our whole team was rooting for Boston in the finals that year. It makes no difference. Hire the best coach we can.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

24 minutes ago, the grinder said:

green system is get  the puck in the offensive zone  pass back to the point and shoot  then skate back to the dzone chasing another 2-1 back or stand around in a static position then the  fire drill happens where the canucks get gassed chasing . 

Lol. This is exactly my point. Fans keep critiquing the "system" yet can't explain/identify what it is they are critiquing. 

2 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Here are the coaching issue we see.  I was a Green supporter who advocated him to stay for another season but what I saw how it unfolds this season.  He doesn't really adjust the system.  I remember how AV was able to adapt his system when Mike Gillis was a GM decided to keep him all because AV was able to make some changes to the system and trusted his players to figure it out when presented with a new system and new faces on the team, the Canucks prospered.  Fast forward to current head coach, Green.  He doesn't really make a change to the system and kept all the method and doesn't really trust his players in that he kept that system that failed us over last few years.  

If he cannot trust his players then how can his players have some success?   It is like we are playing 4 checking lines in that they are mot designed to play that way.  From what I've seen on how they can have some success is to make some effort to generate some offense without resorting with the dump and chase tactics.  This is an old school coaching without any creativity on how to generate the offense.   They are too predictable on that the teams are able to stop their offense with ease which shouldn't happen.  Trust is the key and Green doesn't really show that he has the trust in his own players and doesn't think that they can succeed.  How on earth can he keep his job if he cannot trust his player to be creative generating some offense?  Benning has to make some hard decision on how he wants to see from Green else he should be let go if he doesn't change his system..  Clearly, Green's system is not working out and he needs to adapt to change in his system or else he's gone.  Benning has provided Green much better players in the off season and Green is the one who doesn't trust in h is player to begin with since the training camp. 

Have you noticed that he kept the bubble players until very end before finally cutting them is that he doesn't really trust in his own players and not start preparing for the season by trimming the roster sooner and use those exhibition games to work on things he wants to play without resorting the dump and chase system?  Trust is the biggest issue Green has.   

The only part of Green's system that is working is the one thing that is not under his control: goaltending.

I think Green is trying to adapt and modify his system but clearly he hasn't had much success. We will see where we are at the end of this home stand. But going 0-6-1 or 1-6-0 or something like that is very much a possibility.

Now we know the poor start last season because of no preseason and ridiculous schedule were all just excuses. 

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Lol. This is exactly my point. Fans keep critiquing the "system" yet can't explain/identify what it is they are critiquing. 

People use “system” or “style” as pretty much a catch all phrase for how he expects the team to play.

There has been a ton of really solid analysis of this that doesn’t paint him in a particularly flattering light as a coach.

Just have to be willing to see it I guess.

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

This should be the best roster we've had under Benning unless you count his first year (not that it was a great lineup, but it was full of vets who knew how to handle themselves).

That said, there are holes all over the roster that were hidden by the optimism of the off-season:

• Majority of the team is soft or small and it's most glaring in the top-6 as they are often too busy getting pushed around in their own zone instead of playing offense.
  • Only guy with real "jam" in our top-6 seems to be preoccupied with temper tantrums (Green should really check if Miller is getting his afternoon nap in).
  • Top-4 defense still needs a strong defense-first D-man; I've been pleasantly surprised by Poolman but still am not convinced he's a top-4 on a contender. Someone who can really settle things down against top lines and push the puck out of our zone efficiently on a consistent basis. You know, someone like that Tanev guy.

Like I've said in another thread, when you list off the names in the top half of our lineup it seems like quite the talented group, but there really is no rhyme or reason to the overall roster construction. It's an offense-first team and when we're clicking, we're fun to watch and hard to stop, but it's just not clicking right now. Other than a short run in that COVID year, it pretty much has never clicked under Green.

No coach is going to be able to magically turn this roster into a powerhouse but at the same time, there's too much talent on paper (and great goaltending) for us to be a below .500 team.

All that said, 2 of our ~4 best forwards (which includes our best player in general) have been extremely disappointing and it's tough for any team to be successful through that.

Bo is not small, nor gets pushed around. Podkolzin looks pretty darn strong on the puck. I wouldn't say Pearson gets pushed around. Not sure I agree with the soft/small top 6 assessment tbh.

But for sure this is the best roster of the Benning era, and it looks terrible at the moment.

Canucks organization needs to know the difference between a business and a tea party. 

Too many of our coaching staff are former players that would never become an NHL coach with any other team. Some guys (like Malhotra) were solid coaches... but it must help when you actually played your entire career in the NHL. Not to mention, having former players makes it tough to let them go because of nostalgia, which is why I think King and Baumy still have jobs here. I don't think the Canucks fire former players, rather, they have to leave by choice (see Linden and Malhotra). 

Time to get your big-boy pants on Jimmy and start a coaching re-tool!

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

That’s because there isn’t anything to explain.

bieska on last night - 

“edm a fast skilled team that’s going to score “

““cal a tight defensive team that shuts the “door” 

“ van I don’t know  what they are “ 

in the past under green 

“ fun to play against “ 

it’s not just the fans guys that know hockey can’t even explain what the H is going on. 

green 

“we want to play tougher “- then cuts all the toughness in favour peewees. 

So my guess is Our system is to be totally predictable and not change all sht that isn’t working. 

Cue the excuses - 

“we have lots of new faces “ 

that’s been used for 7 years running FYI other teams have new faces to why do we need so many new faces every year and why do we get the same results with the new faces . 

calgary got a new COACH and a system no excuse for new faces thou.  

The no system system sucks it’s sucked when willie D used it and it sucks that green is even worse at it than willie. 

• Cheers 1