The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coaching Staff

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Reserving criticism until the 20gm mark.  By then the sample size with the new personnel and systems will be more meaningful. 

I hear ya, but our season could very well be over by then.

I love Shane Wright as much as the next guy, but the roster as it's composed today should be a playoff team. The way things are going, we might be out of the race by mid-November.

55 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

The Edmonton Powerplays won the game last night.  This is the best pp in the league and a unit that has been together for years tweaking their pp. 

I thought the Canucks stepped up their execution last night and are getting closer to playing the kind of game they want to play.  Too soon to talk of changing the coaching staff.  Team needs some continuity.  They made some great plays last night, but didn't finish.    

Lol team needs continuity so don’t fire the coach who has been here for 5 years. Cause you know, 5 years of $&!# coaching is not enough continuity.

6 minutes ago, wexcar said:

The roster is upgraded but coaching staff doesn't seem up to scratch. If a change is to be made who is out there to suit the canucks roster??

this moment, I'd probably say Julien. But thats more from his record, and taking a young core group to the cup. Not that we need reminding. 

• Sad 1

I like Brad Shaw.

I think if you look at some of the behind the scenes, he's very intricate with how the plays flow and very detailed on the little things each player can do to improve their movements on a play. Not just that, but the little tidbits of advice and critique he gives for each player really shows his attention to detail.

I don't know how much Travis Green really does except for the bag skates and continuously implicating a stale system (if there even is any). 

If TG is ever let go, I'd love if the new coach keeps Shaw. That is, if Shaw doesn't become the new head coach.

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Almost no one I see calling for Green to be fired is expecting a sudden SC. It’s not even about a coach who has won a cup. 

They are expecting:

- a system that works in the current nhl.

- a culture change to actually be a team that’s hard to play against instead of the coach just talking about it for 5 years.

- a fresh perspective on what players are and aren’t so they are deployed effectively.

- lines and players that have a clear role, not 4 lines expected to be everything at all times.

There are dozens of coaches including ones on your list who have the experience and coaching chops needed.

Pretty much. 

I don't see to many people going on about winning coaches, but maybe I'm just not seeing it, what I do see is people asking for a coach who's had success at the NHL level. A successful coach isn't just one who's won a championship, but someone who coaches a team that consistently competes and is in the mix come playoff time. AV's a good example of a coach who consistently has success despite not getting over the hump. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It's becoming clear that Green is a glorified AHL coach. He has never really achieved much, even with this enhanced roster. That is saying a lot about his capabilities. When a coach fails to adapt to a vastly changed roster, that's on him.

Also, if our defensive aspect of the roster is questionable, shouldn't we spend more time being responsible in that area? Nope. Green's approach is run and gun, at the cost of defense (while employing a questionable defensive coach that isn't Shaw). It's Baumgartner. Nice guy, but I doubt he's well known as a defensive stalwart.

He's not even a glorified AHL coach. He went to a Calder cup final thanks to Markstrom's domination of the AHL. WD at least won a Calder cup trophy. WD deserved his shot as an NHL coach by winning at every level while Green was given one undeservingly in my opinion. Honestly, I would even bring WD back as an interim coach and fire Green if I could.

And Green's style used to be exciting in that bubble season and yes we scored goals at the cost of defence. Now, we just do not much of anything at the cost of defence.

It's a terrible product that they are putting on the ice at the moment and while I understand the reasoning for not firing him now, his time is running out. Missing the playoffs and having more or less the same crappy play on the ice as we did last season is just not acceptable after the moves that were made and the personnel that we have.

Honestly, with Rangers, Preds, and Stars coming into town, starting the season on a 6 game home losing streak has very real chance of happening.  

If so, I would be shocked if Green isn't fired. 

Look how many people made fun of Calgary for bringing back Sutter and now look how well they are doing and Marky looks like he's back in form. Coaching change is needed and even then, it's not guaranteed that we will be able to salvage the season. It f*cking sucks.

Re-signing Green may be JB's worst move thus far.

• Cheers 4

Here are the coaching issue we see.  I was a Green supporter who advocated him to stay for another season but what I saw how it unfolds this season.  He doesn't really adjust the system.  I remember how AV was able to adapt his system when Mike Gillis was a GM decided to keep him all because AV was able to make some changes to the system and trusted his players to figure it out when presented with a new system and new faces on the team, the Canucks prospered.  Fast forward to current head coach, Green.  He doesn't really make a change to the system and kept all the method and doesn't really trust his players in that he kept that system that failed us over last few years.  

If he cannot trust his players then how can his players have some success?   It is like we are playing 4 checking lines in that they are mot designed to play that way.  From what I've seen on how they can have some success is to make some effort to generate some offense without resorting with the dump and chase tactics.  This is an old school coaching without any creativity on how to generate the offense.   They are too predictable on that the teams are able to stop their offense with ease which shouldn't happen.  Trust is the key and Green doesn't really show that he has the trust in his own players and doesn't think that they can succeed.  How on earth can he keep his job if he cannot trust his player to be creative generating some offense?  Benning has to make some hard decision on how he wants to see from Green else he should be let go if he doesn't change his system..  Clearly, Green's system is not working out and he needs to adapt to change in his system or else he's gone.  Benning has provided Green much better players in the off season and Green is the one who doesn't trust in h is player to begin with since the training camp. 

Have you noticed that he kept the bubble players until very end before finally cutting them is that he doesn't really trust in his own players and not start preparing for the season by trimming the roster sooner and use those exhibition games to work on things he wants to play without resorting the dump and chase system?  Trust is the biggest issue Green has.   

Edited by coolboarder
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I think they have to get rid of Baumgartner at the bare minimum.  Decent chance the new coach will have his own preferred assistants.

Here's hoping, depends on whether they choose to stick with the interim coach for the season and look at candidates in the offseason or not imo

Edited by Coconuts

19 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Fire anyone not named Shaw and Clark.

I don't get the Brad Shaw love around here. His only NHL head coaching experience was 40 games with the Islanders in 05-06 when his team went 14-14-2 and he was let go at the end of the season. Since then he has been an assistant in St. Louis (9 years), Columbus (5 years) and Vancouver (first year).

Shaw's only other head coaching experience included one year in the defunct IHL when he finished with a 23-53-0-6 record. From there he moved on to coach the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks for three seasons where he piled up a record of 99-103-26-18. I his last 14 seasons, Shaw has been an assistant, with his teams making the playoffs 4 times and never getting past the conference final.

So why is Brad Shaw suddenly the far superior coach to Travis Green? If he was such a great coach, why has he been an assistant for 15 of the last 16 seasons?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol team needs continuity so don’t fire the coach who has been here for 5 years. Cause you know, 5 years of $&!# coaching is not enough continuity.

4 out of the 6 d weren't playing here last year.  2 rookies on the team.  At least 3 new forwards on the team, a whole new look bottom 6 really...   some Canucks fans... fire all the coaches save maybe 2 of them after 8 games.    

35 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Reserving criticism until the 20gm mark.  By then the sample size with the new personnel and systems will be more meaningful. 

We're around halfway there, it doesn't look good. The Canucks have two against COL and one against VGK, WPG and NYR coming up in November. Could be tough games.

Do the other teams in the NHL wait 20 games to realize their team isn't that good?  It's the same every year.  We wait 20 and it's not that good.

Okay, so we'll wait some more. :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't get the Brad Shaw love around here. His only NHL head coaching experience was 40 games with the Islanders in 05-06 when his team went 14-14-2 and he was let go at the end of the season. Since then he has been an assistant in St. Louis (9 years), Columbus (5 years) and Vancouver (first year).

Shaw's only other head coaching experience included one year in the defunct IHL when he finished with a 23-53-0-6 record. From there he moved on to coach the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks for three seasons where he piled up a record of 99-103-26-18. I his last 14 seasons, Shaw has been an assistant, with his teams making the playoffs 4 times and never getting past the conference final.

So why is Brad Shaw suddenly the far superior coach to Travis Green? If he was such a great coach, why has he been an assistant for 15 of the last 16 seasons?

Aside from the fact that he has a ton of actual bench experience in the NHL compared to Green who had none when hired?

Or that he has been widely regarded as a guru with adjusting dmen’s games to get the most out of them almost to the level Clark is with goalies?

Or that he has a reputation as a guy who can teach the x and o stuff to young players very effectively.

He is a way better coach than Green. And we could use a coach hungry to prove his chops as a head coach over a guy who never earned it and whose adjustments and growth has not progressed in 5 years since being gifted the job.

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think it's so much that people see him as a shoe in head coach so much as people recognizing that he's proven to be a capable assistant 

And that's saying something, because a lot of us have been fed up Green's assistants for a while 

• Cheers 4

Just now, Comeback_Kings said:

4 out of the 6 d weren't playing here last year.  2 rookies on the team.  At least 3 new forwards on the team, a whole new look bottom 6 really...   some Canucks fans... fire all the coaches save maybe 2 of them after 8 games.    

Nah we’ve just paid attention to the last few years of not winning besides one lucky run when mathematics got us into the bubble when we were on our way out of a playoff spot back in 2019-20. Facing the same problems year after year. 

Doesn’t look much different this year, even with a better team. 

• Cheers 2