Regular Season Playoffs
Season Age Tm Lg GP W L T OL PTS PTS% Finish G W L T W-L% Notes
Career     NHL 298 128 137   33 289 .485   17 10 7   .588
2017-18 47 VAN NHL 82 31 40   11 73 .445 7th 0 0 0      
2018-19 48 VAN NHL 82 35 36   11 81 .494 5th 0 0 0      
2019-20 49 VAN NHL 69 36 27   6 78 .565 4th 17 10 7   .588  
2020-21 50 VAN NHL 56 23 29   4 50 .446 7th 0 0 0      
2021-22 51 VAN NHL 9 3 5   1 7 .389 5th 0 0 0      

Not sure why there's any debate about if we should "wait for this" or "wait for that".

They should both resign, be thankful for their opportunity.

Do it for us fans.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Looking at the roster, the Canucks shouldn't be 2 games under .500. Green had training camp to assess his players and try lines and pairings. He had preseason to fine tune.  The roster is filled with skilled, gritty players.

What I see is: they still don't look like a cohesive team, playing for each other and doing what it takes to win. 

Before the season began, Pettersson said he wants to play on a winning team, but maybe that comment wasn't about his team mates, but more having the right coach in place to take them deep into the playoffs.  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we change the head coach, which of the assistants might change too? 

Green, Baumgartner, King would all get fired... Need coach that can take talented group to a new level...

After 9 games we should have at least 13 points...Should of beat Buffalo, Minnesota and Flyers.

We only have 7 points.. We better win next 4 games NYR, NSH, Dal, Ana, then tough Colorado..

I actually like Green. I think he brought a lot to the team in his first years, developed some players really well.

But it's clear there are systems issues that are not being resolved, and every coach has a shelf life. Green also used to seemingly have a clearer vision when awarding players with TOI, but so far this year there's been some moves that reek desperation (scratching Pods when he was playing well, reducing Garland TOI when he's been the driver of the team). It took me a long time to join in on the fire-Green wagon, but I'm on it now too. If they lose their game on Tuesday, I think Benning should consider going in a different direction.

I feel like there's a near consensus that Green needs to be replaced with an experienced, winning coach. However, there are not a ton available that would fit well with this team. Maybe Randy Carlyle? There was lots said about how he transformed his coaching style to the modern era. His record when he first returned to the Ducks was pretty good for a mediocre team. Honestly don't see Julien or Boudreau as good fits.

Could also see Brad Shaw taking over with his own assistants - like Gary Agnew who he previously coached with and is currently with Abbotsford.

Edited by Teemu Selänne

2 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

Some of my concerns this year:

-- PP looks like the stale old stuff.  It should be top 5-10 in the league and it isn't.  It's predictable and needs to become more dynamic -- that is on the coaches.

-- Green's line blending.  Makes you wonder why have lines in practice.  He gives them 5 minutes in a game and then throws the whole thing away if he doesn't like what he sees.

-- He loses players and shortens the bench every game.  This makes it hard for the team to push late as they have logged so many minutes, increases the chance of injuries (playing tired) and teaches lower players that at any time any mistake an their are benched.  -- Of course they will only do 'safe' things like dump and chase.  

-- Petey is struggling.  He is also playing 3 minutes a game more than his career average.  Other players have an off shift (or have a fight, or score a goal) and he benches them. 

-- Green does not have consistent rules or approaches to players regarding accountability.  He has two types -- 'I trust no matter what' or 'waiting for you to disappoint me so I can bench you'

-- Bo -- is he the captain or Miller?  Miller is great when things are going great and pouts when it isn't.  And he is the Alpha on the team.  If the team is not playing like a team and not working together that is either on the coaches or the captain.  I don't know (honestly don't know just wondering) if Bo's leadership can handle Miller in the locker room.

(Bo and Bess are my two favorite players for context so don't think I'm dumping on Bo. 

This is a great assessment as to what is happening. The scary part is, does Benning not see this? This is not even something new this has been going on for awhile. I am leaning on the "get rid of Benning" as well now, this team is capable of much more then what we are seeing.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

They need a head coach with experience, and who's won before, or at the least a winning record. 

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Almost no one I see calling for Green to be fired is expecting a sudden SC. It’s not even about a coach who has won a cup. 

They are expecting:

- a system that works in the current nhl.

- a culture change to actually be a team that’s hard to play against instead of the coach just talking about it for 5 years.

- a fresh perspective on what players are and aren’t so they are deployed effectively.

- lines and players that have a clear role, not 4 lines expected to be everything at all times.

There are dozens of coaches including ones on your list who have the experience and coaching chops needed.

You just had to look a few posts above mine to see what I was referring to.  And I didn't say "expecting a sudden SC".   But some are suggesting we get a coach who's won one before.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

When was the last time you heard about a Canucks coaching search (head coach or assistants) where anyone described it as comprehensive, thorough, and leaving no stone unturned.

Not in Benning’s tenure, that’s for sure. He is absolutely myopic when he gets his mind set on a certain guy to the point of ignoring a complete lack of relevant experience and a comprehensive search.

King and Baumgartner are, by all accounts, AHL guys who were never able to translate it to the NHL. They have literally no relevant experience or results personally or as coaches that anyone should have confidence in at this level.

You really don't hear this stuff from any team....they only reveal when they've hired someone, not the entire process.  It's a little ridiculous to expect they would.

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

With all due respect to the coaching staff and how purportedly nice they are, the Canucks really shot themselves in the foot by needlessly extending some coaches, when they could've just started with a new slate.

The team was supposedly projected to make the playoffs, and under Green, this has never happened except the bubble. Moreover, Green's win percentage is not any better, or is comparable to the WD era, who had a MUCH WORSE roster to play with. We all knew WD's limitations as a coach, so that's why he was replaced. WD had a short stint as LA King's coach, before going back to juniors. Some coaches don't do as well in the big leagues (i.e. Don Hay), but they do amazing in the lower leagues.

I am not questioning how 'nice' these people are, but it's becoming clear that Green, however nice he may be, is just not suitable for this job.

The decisions made by Green (and WD really) have been headscratching. With WD, at least he had the excuse of having a poor roster, so he overplayed players like Megna and Chaput, both of whom were very serviceable players in their own right.

Curiously, Green has had a very stereotypical approach to his rosters, as we never really saw Macewen or Bailey much, despite several chances in the callup. Some of the blame may be on the players for not 'rising up'. However, we also see Green stifling current roster players (Podkolzin for example), while overplaying others. Last night, we saw Garland have an amazing game - and guess who Green sat UNTIL the game was too late.

It's becoming clear that Green is a glorified AHL coach. He has never really achieved much, even with this enhanced roster. That is saying a lot about his capabilities. When a coach fails to adapt to a vastly changed roster, that's on him.

Also, if our defensive aspect of the roster is questionable, shouldn't we spend more time being responsible in that area? Nope. Green's approach is run and gun, at the cost of defense (while employing a questionable defensive coach that isn't Shaw). It's Baumgartner. Nice guy, but I doubt he's well known as a defensive stalwart.

Green, for whatever reason, doesn't like to see scoring in his lineup. He benches the players who score (Podkolzin, Garland), probably for deviating from 'his' game plan. To me, this coach sucks.

I would even go so far as to add Green's unwillingness to play youth has directly contributed to our lack of home grown prospects as any and all creativeness has been stifled and young kids willing to work hard and earn the ice time have been essentially benched for under performing and effectively useless vets

We walked in to this year with the "deepest roster" we've seen since 2-012/2013 and accomplished nothing thus far.  The same obvious defensive lapses.  The same glaringly predictable zone entries.  The system has not worked since Green got here and continues to be dismal.

Baumgartner as defensive coach has been even more abysmal in his role yet is still somehow here.

I dare say that I gave green 30 games in the pre-season as my estimate for his being ushered out of the organization but I am unsure if he will make 15 to 20 at this rate.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You really don't hear this stuff from any team....they only reveal when they've hired someone, not the entire process.  It's a little ridiculous to expect they would.

Ummm the media regularly reports on coaching searches and how comprehensive (or not) they are. 

When was the last time anyone other than the first guy reported as being considered for a canucks job was hired or even reported on?

The Canucks are famous under Benning for not actually doing comprehensive searches for coaches or front office staff. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Jesus look at the only two guys below him. Serious clowns lol

And look at what the idiot he replaced left him with.  It was going to take anyone at least 5 years to clean up the mess from Gillis.  The Luongo recapture is only off the books this year because Gillis was too stupid to use the compliance buyout for its intended purpose.

Just now, King Heffy said:

And look at what the idiot he replaced left him with.  It was going to take anyone at least 5 years to clean up the mess from Gillis.  The Luongo recapture is only off the books this year because Gillis was too stupid to use the compliance buyout for its intended purpose.

So his record is bad because of what was left for him yet he thought it was good enough to turn around so he didn’t rebuild for several years?

Sounds more like his own huge misread of what he had was more the problem.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, khay said:

He's not even a glorified AHL coach. He went to a Calder cup final thanks to Markstrom's domination of the AHL. WD at least won a Calder cup trophy. WD deserved his shot as an NHL coach by winning at every level while Green was given one undeservingly in my opinion. Honestly, I would even bring WD back as an interim coach and fire Green if I could.

Yeah. I just don't understand where Travis Green came from. I guess the theory was, he could get time with the young players at the AHL and then move up with them. But we did that with an NHL coach too. AV coached the Moose before being promoted to the NHL again.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So his record is bad because of what was left for him yet he thought it was good enough to turn around so he didn’t rebuild for several years?

Sounds more like his own huge misread of what he had was more the problem.

Sam Pollock would have struggled for those 5 years.