The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rangers - Canucks (Proposal)

Ok, this is a stretch for sure...................but I think the rags do it in a snap

Pettersson

for 

Chytl (C/LW) 6'2" 206 lbs

Schnieder (RHD) 6'2" 202 lbs

Othmann (LW) 6'0" 175 lbs

2022 1st (late)

Pettersson is the draft prospect that got away from the Rangers, and he would look good with Lafrenierre, and Kakko.

Now, on the Canucks side, Chytl is playing 2nd line center in NY, but does not have the pedigree of Pettersson, but may fit the west much better. Schnieder is the RHD we need to go with Hughes. Othman is a great young Lwer with 1st line upside, who will fit in just fine with the young guns in Vancouver. The first, will most likely be in the 22 to 24 OA area, where there will still be some great prospects to pick in this deep draft.

Value wise it is 4 - 1st for Pettersson............. Pettersson is great, but has some vulnerabilities and IMO, Horvat fits the number 1 center better. Stronger on FO's and still has a good 6 to 8 years left in him. Another thing that should be pointed out is that, if we remain low this year, the Canucks pick will be a 10 to 14 OA pick, which opens up things to all kinds of scenario's.

This trade allows for players to be upgraded, and assets to accumulate. IMO, we need to get bigger, faster, and more aggressive, I think this addresses some of those needs. It also lowers our cap, which is just a incidental luxury of this trade. 

Depth Chart

Miller...................Horvat..............Boeser                                     Hughes......................Hanomic                               Demko

Othmann..........   Chytl...............Garland                                     OEL...........................Myers                                   Halak

Persson...........Dickenson...........Podkolzin                                 Rathbone...................Poolman                              MDP

Hoglander.........Lammikko...........Motte                                       Jurmo........................Schneider                            Silvos

Highmore..........Zlodeyev............Klimovich                                  Truscott....................Woo

Bailey................Costmar.............McDonaugh                              Utenen......................Juulsen

...........................Karlsson............Lockwood                                ..................................Persson

Add in that 2022 - 12 OA ish  and 24 OA.ish............

• Cheers 1

Rangers owner explained the firing of Gorton by saying that they are too skilled and aren’t built for the playoffs.  He wanted them to add more grit and size.  Doubt they’d want Pettersson today.

The cost is also too high.  They refused to go that far for Eichel.  

NYR are having a good start to their season and there’s no reason to think they want to break things up.  

They are also going to run into cap trouble as the Zibanejad extension will kick in and they have several players including Norris winner Fox due for a raise.

• Cheers 2

Just now, mll said:

Rangers owner explained the firing of Gorton by saying that they are too skilled and aren’t built for the playoffs.  He wanted them to add more grit and size.  Doubt they’d want Pettersson today.

NYR are having a good start to their season and there’s no reason to think they want to break things up.  

They are also going to run into cap trouble as the Zibanejad extension will kick in and they have several players including Norris winner Fox due for a raise.

If you were the GM, what move(s) would you make?

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, mll said:

You should send this to Benning :canucks:

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Pettersson is a top 10.under 25 talent. I would suggest they would make room. I also think the cost is fair,

Regarding Eichel....................he does not have the value, as of his injury.............no guarantees he will ever play the same after his surgery, or for how long

For the record, I do think we should keep Pettersson despite my hundreds of proposals suggesting that we move him.  :-p.

The guy that we absolutely should change is Travis Green as I believe his stubbornness and lack of creativity is mind boggling.  

Our three best forwards right now are Miller, Horvat, and Garland......so why not put them on a line together?

Miller-Horvat-Garland

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Boeser 

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander

Like be creative and try something new instead of recycling the same old stale crap.  Especially for the power play.  

PP1

Myers-Horvat-Chiasson

OEL-Hughes

Even if it’s something ridiculous, just give the opponents a different look.  In the scenario above for instance, get OEL and Hughes to get pucks on net while our biggest and most physical players look for rebounds while getting their read ends in the goalies faces.  Yeah?  Something, anything, different!

Look at what Darryl Sutter and Quenville have done for Calgary and Florida respectively.  Bring in a proven winner that can turn this ship around.  

Stop trying to promote assistant coaches.  Shell up the money and pay big bucks to proven winners like Claude Julien.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Pettersson is a top 10.under 25 talent. I would suggest they would make room. I also think the cost is fair,

Regarding Eichel....................he does not have the value, as of his injury.............no guarantees he will ever play the same after his surgery, or for how long

I don’t see why they would.  They are winning with their current lineup, at least for now and Gallant is new to the job. 

They have Panerin driving one line and Zibanejad driving the other.  Lafreniere, Kakko and Chytil will continue to get better and they have also Kreider signed long term.  

• Cheers 1

I would certainly do this trade if the Rangers are willing.  Unless EP turns into the Hulk he is going to continue to be knocked off the puck and pushed around by the opposition.  We need Semenko type player to be on his line.  You touch my line mate I light up your face.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 10:11 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, this is a stretch for sure...................but I think the rags do it in a snap

Pettersson

for 

Chytl (C/LW) 6'2" 206 lbs

Schnieder (RHD) 6'2" 202 lbs

Othmann (LW) 6'0" 175 lbs

2022 1st (late)

Pettersson is the draft prospect that got away from the Rangers, and he would look good with Lafrenierre, and Kakko.

Now, on the Canucks side, Chytl is playing 2nd line center in NY, but does not have the pedigree of Pettersson, but may fit the west much better. Schnieder is the RHD we need to go with Hughes. Othman is a great young Lwer with 1st line upside, who will fit in just fine with the young guns in Vancouver. The first, will most likely be in the 22 to 24 OA area, where there will still be some great prospects to pick in this deep draft.

Value wise it is 4 - 1st for Pettersson............. Pettersson is great, but has some vulnerabilities and IMO, Horvat fits the number 1 center better. Stronger on FO's and still has a good 6 to 8 years left in him. Another thing that should be pointed out is that, if we remain low this year, the Canucks pick will be a 10 to 14 OA pick, which opens up things to all kinds of scenario's.

This trade allows for players to be upgraded, and assets to accumulate. IMO, we need to get bigger, faster, and more aggressive, I think this addresses some of those needs. It also lowers our cap, which is just a incidental luxury of this trade. 

Depth Chart

Miller...................Horvat..............Boeser                                     Hughes......................Hanomic                               Demko

Othmann..........   Chytl...............Garland                                     OEL...........................Myers                                   Halak

Persson...........Dickenson...........Podkolzin                                 Rathbone...................Poolman                              MDP

Hoglander.........Lammikko...........Motte                                       Jurmo........................Schneider                            Silvos

Highmore..........Zlodeyev............Klimovich                                  Truscott....................Woo

Bailey................Costmar.............McDonaugh                              Utenen......................Juulsen

...........................Karlsson............Lockwood                                ..................................Persson

Add in that 2022 - 12 OA ish  and 24 OA.ish............

So I ran this on the HFB's and a Ranger fan was ok with this trade  minus Othmann.

Personally, I don't see a big difference between Chytl and Pettersson, in that Pettersson is playing so terrible and small. This is a chance to get 3 really good pieces, and have some control over our cap. It is obvious we need to be a different team....this makes us bigger long term, and maybe we won't be laying on the ice for half a game!

So, maybe a little weaker this year, but long term, maybe better! Sort of a win/win????????????? here is why...........we are short of good big RHD's, Schneider is that, plus we go into a 2022 draft with ours, and NYRangers 1st, where we can draft a Forward and another Dman, this only makes us stronger down the road.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They'd probably be more interested in Miller than Petey, but not at that price.

JT Miller for Braden Schneider and both of their 2022 2nds with one a conditional 1st if they make the playoffs.

You can’t seriously believe that a year and a half of Miller is worth the equivalent of 2 1sts and 2 2nds 

7 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You can’t seriously believe that a year and a half of Miller is worth the equivalent of 2 1sts and 2 2nds 

You misunderstood the deal I stated.

Miller for Schneider, a second and another conditional 2nd that could turn into a 1st if they make the playoffs. He's worth more than what we paid for him even with only a year and a half left on a cap-friendly deal. PPG player on an underperforming team, he wins draws, has size. Can't ask for much more at his cap-hit.

Not asking for the world either like the deal you implied.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You misunderstood the deal I stated.

Miller for Schneider, a second and another conditional 2nd that could turn into a 1st if they make the playoffs. He's worth more than what we paid for him even with only a year and a half left on a cap-friendly deal. PPG player on an underperforming team, he wins draws, has size. Can't ask for much more at his cap-hit.

Not asking for the world either like the deal you implied.

Considering they’re already in a playoff position it seems unreasonable to ask for a 1st conditional on them making the playoffs.  The deal is an overpayment by the Rangers and it’s one they don’t need to make 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:26 PM, mll said:

If this is the case, would Miller be a better fit, in your opinion?

He's gritty, has proven he can play center, and is more of a, win now, player.

He started his career there and is a more complete player now.

Maximizing return on his success would seem a prudent move.

Miller for Schneider, 2022 1st, and a 2023 2nd.

56 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

If this is the case, would Miller be a better fit, in your opinion?

He's gritty, has proven he can play center, and is more of a, win now, player.

He started his career there and is a more complete player now.

Maximizing return on his success would seem a prudent move.

Miller for Schneider, 2022 1st, and a 2023 2nd.

That’s more than Vegas paid for Pacioretty, and they had a deal to extend him in place. 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s more than Vegas paid for Pacioretty, and they had a deal to extend him in place. 

Pacman had 17 goals and 20 assists in 64 games and was -16 the season prior to getting moved too Vegas. Wasn’t he also hurt that year too?  

• Thanks 1