The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Plight for Wright

Rate this topic

Provost

10% of the season down, we are in last place in the Pacific, and 28th in the league.

I really hope no one is on tank nation this year.  

We have made moves to be better right away, and getting a high pick won’t offset the downside of another year of losing and ensuring no free agents want to sign with us.

Due to cap issues, this is pretty much the team we are going to have for years… aside from some tinkering around the edges a little.

We had better get our act together!  No white knights are coming in the save the day.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2022-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Shane-Wright

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Will we even have a 1st by the end of the season?  I feel like we're a few-pts-behind-playoffs-and-need-a-push-in-February away from going out and getting a rental.

FA wants playoffs, fans want to win, and JB knows his job is on the line.  No chance he'd be thinking of Wright (even if it becomes clear that he should be at some point).

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

10% of the season down, we are in last place in the Pacific, and 28th in the league.

I really hope no one is on tank nation this year.  

We have made moves to be better right away, and getting a high pick won’t offset the downside of another year of losing and ensuring no free agents want to sign with us.

Due to cap issues, this is pretty much the team we are going to have for years… aside from some tinkering around the edges a little.

We had better get our act together!  No white knights are coming in the save the day.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2022-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Shane-Wright

I often criticize your viewpoints, but this one is something I can agree on. No one should be on tank nation. This team probably had a lot of promise to start the year, but honestly, the execution has been subpar.

It's hard to defend Green as a coach when he's been given an overhauled roster. Yet somehow the Canucks can't score, nor has there been a significant improvement on the PK, which was a weakness last season.

Then when you see how the preseason went down, we see a coach that has introduced very little change from last season (minus Covid). This is a team that struggles to keep the puck out of its net, and a coach that consistently fails to adapt to the teams he plays. Moreover, you do not see a winning record under Green. Our preseason was bad, and the start of this season has been just as bad.

The Canucks need to get rid of Green and should not cheap out on unproven coaches.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Pretty scary how bad we've been, usually if a team is this bad for this long they blow it up and trade their prime players for picks and basically rebuild again. We haven't been close to being a contender for years and have barely been in the playoffs the last decade which is a joke.

At least in seasons past we've played well, beaten good teams and played decent hockey whereas so far this season I haven't really seen much of that, or any decent signs that we can turn it around and even win say 5 in a row. Even if Petey gets on a hot streak, that's not going to win us games.

51 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty scary how bad we've been, usually if a team is this bad for this long they blow it up and trade their prime players for picks and basically rebuild again. We haven't been close to being a contender for years and have barely been in the playoffs the last decade which is a joke.

At least in seasons past we've played well, beaten good teams and played decent hockey whereas so far this season I haven't really seen much of that, or any decent signs that we can turn it around and even win say 5 in a row. Even if Petey gets on a hot streak, that's not going to win us games.

Pettersson getting going is all this team needs. He's in his early 20s, so is Hughes and I think both players are ahead of where the Sedins were at that age. Keep in mind, Daniel and Henrik Sedin were second liners until about 2006, whereas Petey is already a first liner. He just needs to get going, get used to earning the big bucks and all that goes along with it. 

Then there's Boeser. How good is Boeser really? I mean on the right side we've got Podkolzin, Boeser and Garland. We've got Klimovich coming up through the system. Eventually, someone is expected to push Boeser down. Then there's Hoglander. Man did he come out of the gate strong. What's likely to happen after two years, because over the period I expect us to be a bit of a tweener, is that Miller, Horvat and Hoglander all expire at the same time. Horvat will probably sign something team friendly and if Miller does too, with the cap going up and Hoglander under cost control, I'd say we have a chance to add something substantive. Not to mention by then, Klimovich will be ready and also Boeser and Pettersson will have gotten that much better. That's where I see the team going.

But this plight for Wright crap? Not a chance. Wright, in my eyes, is Arizona bound. Boy do they need him. We're definitely keeping our first in 2022 because if we don't it's going to come back to bite us. I'd pick a defenseman, preferably a leftie because we have Woo in Abbotsford. Woo should be ready by 2023, I think he might be eligible for waivers next year and I'm confident with his play in the past that he'll start out as a bottom pairing guy. As a comparable, I'd say Travis Hamonic but with the Islanders, not with us. Not to mention, Woo will be ready by the time Hamonic's contract expires, which is also when Hoglander, Miller and Horvat all have expiring contracts. If Hoglander has another good couple of years, he'll ask for at least $4 Million, Horvat will ask for at least $6.5 Million and Miller will also for at least $6 Million.  

39 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Pettersson getting going is all this team needs. He's in his early 20s, so is Hughes and I think both players are ahead of where the Sedins were at that age. Keep in mind, Daniel and Henrik Sedin were second liners until about 2006, whereas Petey is already a first liner. He just needs to get going, get used to earning the big bucks and all that goes along with it. 

Then there's Boeser. How good is Boeser really? I mean on the right side we've got Podkolzin, Boeser and Garland. We've got Klimovich coming up through the system. Eventually, someone is expected to push Boeser down. Then there's Hoglander. Man did he come out of the gate strong. What's likely to happen after two years, because over the period I expect us to be a bit of a tweener, is that Miller, Horvat and Hoglander all expire at the same time. Horvat will probably sign something team friendly and if Miller does too, with the cap going up and Hoglander under cost control, I'd say we have a chance to add something substantive. Not to mention by then, Klimovich will be ready and also Boeser and Pettersson will have gotten that much better. That's where I see the team going.

But this plight for Wright crap? Not a chance. Wright, in my eyes, is Arizona bound. Boy do they need him. We're definitely keeping our first in 2022 because if we don't it's going to come back to bite us. I'd pick a defenseman, preferably a leftie because we have Woo in Abbotsford. Woo should be ready by 2023, I think he might be eligible for waivers next year and I'm confident with his play in the past that he'll start out as a bottom pairing guy. As a comparable, I'd say Travis Hamonic but with the Islanders, not with us. Not to mention, Woo will be ready by the time Hamonic's contract expires, which is also when Hoglander, Miller and Horvat all have expiring contracts. If Hoglander has another good couple of years, he'll ask for at least $4 Million, Horvat will ask for at least $6.5 Million and Miller will also for at least $6 Million.  

I predict miller will be traded before next contract!

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

AHL limitations do that. 

4 hours ago, AV. said:

Will we even have a 1st by the end of the season?  I feel like we're a few-pts-behind-playoffs-and-need-a-push-in-February away from going out and getting a rental.

FA wants playoffs, fans want to win, and JB knows his job is on the line.  No chance he'd be thinking of Wright (even if it becomes clear that he should be at some point).

Fans want to win, but do we want to win at the expense of ditching another 1st or 2nd for a fetal attempt to make the playoffs?  Its not like we are cup contenders and looking for that one guy who may help us win the championship.

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I say we use Calgary and Florida as examples.

Darryl Sutter and Joel Quennville turned both of their respective teams around in a significant way.  Elite coaches......they’ll do that.

We’ve got to stop promoting successful AHL coaches.  Go out there and get a proven winner.  We have the players imo. We just need someone with a bigger vision and more creativity.  Claude Julien is my choice.  He’ll help turn this ship around.

Lol the main difference with both teams, is their core is also all in that 26-32 age bracket or close to it.   Barkov and Huberdeau >>> then any two players on our team.   I'm not expecting to become a contender, like Florida is, no matter who's coaching ....well expect maybe Trotz.    Florida ... let's see how well they do without Quenville.   Also on Quenville ... go back and look how well they did when he first arrived.   It took sometime to gain traction.  

Sutter - absolutely needs some props this season.   Calgary was supposed to be a good team last season but just couldn't score...Markstrom deserves a lot of the credit for their start as well. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol the main difference with both teams, is their core is also all in that 26-32 age bracket or close to it.   Barkov and Huberdeau >>> then any two players on our team.   I'm not expecting to become a contender, like Florida is, no matter who's coaching ....well expect maybe Trotz.    Florida ... let's see how well they do without Quenville.   Also on Quenville ... go back and look how well they did when he first arrived.   It took sometime to gain traction.  

Sutter - absolutely needs some props this season.   Calgary was supposed to be a good team last season but just couldn't score...Markstrom deserves a lot of the credit for their start as well. 

It’s a bit strange nowadays. We’ve only played 8 games and people react as if we played 38.

The bit against Green is that the players that should have Greens system in their backbone play worse than the new guys wich is a bit contradictive

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You know Benning is trading this pick. Another "we're one piece away" move.

I think he might get tempted...  For a "drafting guru" he seems to be of the mind that if ain't top 7 it ain't nothing.  I think if the Canucks are in real danger of missing the playoffs Francesco will just outright forbid Benning to trade the 1st and 2nd rounder while he decides whether to can him.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think he might get tempted...  For a "drafting guru" he seems to be of the mind that if ain't top 7 it ain't nothing.  I think if the Canucks are in real danger of missing the playoffs Francesco will just outright forbid Benning to trade the 1st and 2nd rounder while he decides whether to can him.

To be fair I guess he's had luck finding nhlers in the later rounds. 

It's the high picks that he struggles with.

For every hit he's had a miss.

Petey-OJ

Virtanen-boeser

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

McCann for sure. Dahlen idk just yet. Forsling though.

Dahlen, Forsling, Bonino.

Dahlen is looking like a serious player, and I remember the "not allowed to criticize the Canucks" types turning on a dime when we traded him - nah he'll never be anything, he just takes for granted he'll play with Pettersson, him being around will be bad for Pettersson, etc.

• Cheers 2