The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did we descend into the bottom basement so fast, after all the changes this off season?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

It is still early. Granted, the team hasn't looked particularly good this season but I think there are two strong factors to this:

1) A lot of new players. Time is required to build chemistry and learn the system.

2) Our stars aren't playing like stars. Especially Petey, who's layoff appears to have done him no favours.

I still maintain this is a better team than last year's. 

Greener has to stop with two things:

- Using the blender. Set the two top lines and let them gel! (Have patience)

- Using Pearson as a top six. He’s way better off as a gritty, speedy grinder on the third with potential offensive upside.

I’d go with: Hogs - Petey - Boeser (Hogs plays with more energy than Miller) and then Miller - Horvat - Garland. Miller and Bo had chemistry the first year he arrived. 

Let them go for at least five, six games before starting the blender again.

Oh, to answer the question: We’ve relied too much on the image of Green being a great coach. I don’t think he is, at least not yet. There’s no way our players are THIS bad… 

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I think this is the time to panic. This reminds me of the first year of Mike Gillis' tenure when Alain Vigneault was reeling from a bad losing streak. There is a real possibility that Travis Green may be fired. This would be a major risk to the team because his replacement may not do any better. 

Or his replacement may be light years better. You don’t keep a mediocre coach because you fear getting an even worse one.There is very little risk with a coaching change right now.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, BlackRedYellow said:

Greener has to stop with two things:

- Using the blender. Set the two top lines and let them gel! (Have patience)

- Using Pearson as a top six. He’s way better off as a gritty, speedy grinder on the third with potential offensive upside.

I’d go with: Hogs - Petey - Boeser (Hogs plays with more energy than Miller) and then Miller - Horvat - Garland. Miller and Bo had chemistry the first year he arrived. 

Let them go for at least five, six games before starting the blender again.

Oh, to answer the question: We’ve relied too much on the image of Green being a great coach. I don’t think he is, at least not yet. There’s no way our players are THIS bad… 

I think Pearson is fine in a top 6 role as he's a solid 200ft player and they are the matchup line.  What Green needs to do is put Garland back on that line.......I don't get why he moved him off.  With Garland on the right, that line becomes the #1 line and takes some pressure off 6/40/9.

Put Hogz and podz on a line with JD and let them work out some chemistry.

Pearson Bo Garland

Petey Miller Boes

Hogz JD Podz

Highmore JL Bailey

The 4th line desperately needs Sutts and Motte back.

Edited by stawns

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Or his replacement may be light years better. You don’t keep a mediocre coach because you fear getting an even worse one.There is very little risk with a coaching change right now.

I'm not against moving on from Green, but who would you bring in?  Not like there's a lot of great coaches not working

Just now, stawns said:

I'm not against moving on from Green, but who would you bring in?  Not like there's a lot of great coaches not working

There are several experienced guys who could be a good fit. Boudreau, Julien, he’ll even Torts would be a massive upgrade.

Having said that, I am perfectly fine with Shaw taking over as interim coach with a couple of new experienced assistant coaches until a proper, comprehensive search can be done.

I think Benning and Weisbrod need to be fired too though. No way Benning should get another coaching hire without taking the bullet.

I think they should hire a respect PoHO like Jim Rutherford, have him take over as interim GM and do an exhaustive search for a new long term GM. They also need to decentralize the front office from everything being directly handled by Benning and Weisbrod. Dissenting voices are a good thing in an organization. They facilitate better decisions. Benning and Weisbrod run off any who oppose their views though.

• Cheers 1

1. We weren't ready - new and old players can't play together efficiently. The hold outs still look very rusty and are very key players 

2. Schedule strength - lots of home opens for the other teams, long road trip, come home to strong opposition. 

3. Some key injuries as always.

other posibilities that are much worse 

4. Coaching staff all need to go - they aren't NHL quality.

5. The roster hasn't been constructed quite right we are missing size and physicality in key areas. 3rd line still lacking an identity.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There are several experienced guys who could be a good fit. Boudreau, Julien, he’ll even Torts would be a massive upgrade.

Having said that, I am perfectly fine with Shaw taking over as interim coach with a couple of new experienced assistant coaches until a proper, comprehensive search can be done.

I think Benning and Weisbrod need to be fired too though. No way Benning should get another coaching hire without taking the bullet.

I think they should hire a respect PoHO like Jim Rutherford, have him take over as interim GM and do an exhaustive search for a new long term GM. They also need to decentralize the front office from everything being directly handled by Benning and Weisbrod. Dissenting voices are a good thing in an organization. They facilitate better decisions. Benning and Weisbrod run off any who oppose their views though.

I don't think they'll hire an old school dinosaur like BB or CJ.  I'd be surprised if they coached in the league again

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Pearson is fine in a top 6 role as he's a solid 200ft player and they are the matchup line.  What Green needs to do is put Garland back on that line.......I don't get why he moved him off.  With Garland on the right, that line becomes the #1 line and takes some pressure off 6/40/9.

Put Hogz and podz on a line with JD and let them work out some chemistry.

Pearson Bo Garland

Petey Miller Boes

Hogz JD Podz

Highmore JL Bailey

The 4th line desperately needs Sutts and Motte back.

The problem is wasting Horvat on a matchup line. This team has the personnel to have 1A and 1B scoring lines, a good two way 3rd line, and an energy line. 

They just need to stop overusing players in roles they aren’t suited for. Horvat is underrated offensively and significantly overrated defensively IMO. Pearson is overrated offensively. He is a 3rd line quality streaky player offensively and having to be in the top 6 and on the PP holds Horvat, Garland, and Hoglander back.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

1. We weren't ready - new and old players can't play together efficiently. The hold outs still look very rusty and are very key players 

2. Schedule strength - lots of home opens for the other teams, long road trip, come home to strong opposition. 

3. Some key injuries as always.

other posibilities that are much worse 

4. Coaching staff all need to go - they aren't NHL quality.

5. The roster hasn't been constructed quite right we are missing size and physicality in key areas. 3rd line still lacking an identity.

Yet they've been out hitting teams

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is wasting Horvat on a matchup line. This team has the personnel to have 1A and 1B scoring lines, a good two way 3rd line, and an energy line. 

They just need to stop overusing players in roles they aren’t suited for. Horvat is underrated offensively and significantly overrated defensively IMO. Pearson is overrated offensively. He is a 3rd line quality streaky player offensively and having to be in the top 6 and on the PP holds Horvat, Garland, and Hoglander back.

If you put garland on that line it's not wasting anything, imo.  You matchup against the top offensive line, who are usually the weakest defensively.........by putting Garland with Bo, you matchup by spending a good chunk of time in the other teams end.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Also, Bo needs Sutter back in a big way.  Right now he's the only guy winning draws.

Bring up some of our tough guys from the farm (do we have any?).  Sit a few of our precious forwards and let these guys literally fight it out with the opposition.  Let our soft players and coach see what fighting for your job really involves.  We need to go back to salaries (will never happen) where you are rewarded if you meet certain plateaus in your season (goals, points, blocks, hits, etc).  Like I said this will never happen.  Professional athletes have one or two good seasons and expect to break the bank only to go back to a mediocre level of play.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He wasn't a fit in Minnesota for sure.  I'd still take him over an incompetent buffoon like Green.

I think most of the coaches available are a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" situation.  I don't really see a better option out there.  Shaw would be the only option.

Torts is never, ever coming back to Van

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they'll hire an old school dinosaur like BB or CJ.  I'd be surprised if they coached in the league again

Better than hiring a guy with 0 NHL coaching experience though. This team needs a coach who can build an identity, build roles for lines and players, and build a style that suits his players. 

What makes a coach a dinosaur to you?

Our best players have been bad.  Nothing more than that.  I like  our Goalies,  Our D has kept us in games.  Our best forwards haven't  produced.  If they get going soon, we will be fine.  If they don't,  we are in for a rough ride.  

I'm thinking Green is going to have to go soon though.  Hid  dump and chase/perimeter game is not working.

• Cheers 1