The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guy Boucher is still available

Rate this topic

HighOnHockey

45 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I mean I'd still prefer Boudreau. I understand he has his warts when it comes to playing in the playoffs but I'd rather be complaining about that than not making the dance altogether. At the very least the team will be more fun to watch.

Bruce Boudreau telling the media that he prefers Tim Hortons' donuts to the ones at 49th Parallel would set Canucks Twitter on fire. 

Still worries me that management and ownership don’t see that coaching is the problem.

You cheap out on rookie coaches and the result shouldnt be surprising.

Would like to see us hire two veteran guys as like a 1A/1B situation. A former veteran head coach that has had success with defensive systems and someone more offensive minded to be head coach.

A mix of Boudreau, Boucher, Crawford, Carlyle.

Time for ownership to pony up the dough if they expect fans too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind Broucher sure he's a temporary fix but still a better option than Green right now. 

Unfortunately my top choice would be Peter Laviolette since his system could easily match the roster The Canucks have now.

Another alternative is perhaps is John Stevens. He's available I think. 

And just a bit south from Vancouver is Mike Johnston. He was highly regarded at one point and might be worth a shot.

Edited by iinatcc

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I wouldn't mind Broucher sure he's a temporary fix but still a better option than Green right now. 

Unfortunately my top choice would be Peter Laviolette since his system could easily match the roster The Canucks have now.

Another alternative is perhaps is John Stevens. He's available I think. 

Lavi is head coach of the caps. We’re not getting him.

Stevens would be a good assistant to replace Baumer. He’s not leaving that role with the Stars to coach here though.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sevens would be a good assistant to replace Baumer. He’s not leaving that role with the Stars to coach here though.

I actually didn't know where Stevens was. Wikipedia didn't update his where about it seems. 

Oh well I guess it's time to give Mike Kennan a call 

22 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Boucher doesn't sound like a practice Nazi. Some reporter asked if a bad play was because they didn't practice. Here's his answer

Lol quite the opposite. Boucher used to say "rest is a weapon" and in the presser after he was relieved, Dorion made a comment something like "if I have to hear rest is a weapon one more time..." Lol, but as I mentioned in the OP there was clearly bad blood by the end of it. It seemed to me that the inexperienced Dorion felt like he was being walked all over by the coach.

Those mentioning the boring style of play he implements, it is only boring if you're a fan of the other team. His system is all about disrupting through the neutral zone and attacking in transition. Some of you may have guessed, but I'm a diehard Sens fan (Canucks are my second favorite team), and that 2017 playoff run was honestly the most fun I've ever had watching hockey.

Steven Stamkos had the second best point total of his career, and his best goal total (60) in 2012, and St. Louis also had the second best point total of his career (99) in 2011, under Guy Boucher.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I mean I'd still prefer Boudreau. I understand he has his warts when it comes to playing in the playoffs but I'd rather be complaining about that than not making the dance altogether. At the very least the team will be more fun to watch.

I'd give Boudreau a shot since he was able to get the most of offence and it would be good for our stars and get Petterson going and allow him to be creative.  Boudreau did not have good goaltending during his tenure so if he get an opportunity with this team, I think that he would get one and actually win games for them.  I also think that Boudreau would do well with the Canucks with the roster and OEL and Hughes would also excel under Boudreau.   This is my preference even a temporary until they falter and needs to balance the line-up but for this rebuilding Canucks, they definitely need some boost with offence to become more fearsome then get a balanced coach after a few seasons.  He was the one who got Ovie going during his tenure as a Capitals coach and I've been wanting to have him coach the Canucks for the Canucks seems to have a sound structure with goaltender for a long time now.  

Boudreau as head coach, Boucher as assistant, get Aqua man to splash the cash where it matters most. Boudreau has usually played pretty up-tempo systems but showed he knows how to employ some defence in Minny and from what everyone says, it seems like he's a likeable guy, a player's coach almost. Boucher gives us a bit of good-coach bad-coach vibe.

Honestly I think anyone right now would be happy with anyone except for Green who has over a .500 winning rate in the NHL.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:37 PM, HighOnHockey said:

Quite the list of accolades, but it also leaves a lot of questions. Why was he let go so shortly after such success in both Tampa and Ottawa (and I suppose Bern too)? Did he lose the room? Did other teams get wise to his strategies? Perhaps, but he has pretty good excuses in both Tampa and Ottawa. For one thing, neither team really deserved to make it as far as they did, but it was due to his coaching brilliance that they had the success they had, thus creating unrealistic expectations for him going forward. Also in Tampa, they relied on a 41 year old Dwayne Roloson for that 2011 run, and as he rapidly declined after that, their goaltending situation was unsustainable. In Ottawa the situation was very public and well-known, starting from a megalomaniac owner threatening to move the team, down to a toxic locker room situation headlined by a feud between Erik Karlsson and Mike Hoffman.

On why he was let go by Bern.  Montreal media actually had an article on that.  

Players rebelled because he didn't give them any room to take initiatives.  In a given situation there were maybe 2-3 plays allowed and players had to follow strictly his script.  The system was so rigid that players felt that it removed them from all their creative freedom.  

• Thanks 1

Regardless of whether it's Boucher, Boudreau, etc etc...I really think we need to put pressure on ownership to start spending money outside of the roster. Between cheaping out on coaches and whittling down our front office to nuts and bolts, it really does feel like Aquilini is trying to cut corners where he can. Simply spending to the cap ceiling isn't enough. He needs to be willing to spend big money on a proper coaching staff or this team is going nowhere. 

Posted this in another thread, but I think we should go after Lane Lambert.

"Lambert, 56, has been on Barry Trotz's staff in Nashville, Washington and now New York. He is known for getting the most out of his players, and was credited with the offensive breakouts of Evgeny Kuznetsov and Tom Wilson before the Caps' Stanley Cup run. Lambert has been on NHL teams' radar for a while. He was a candidate for the Colorado Avalanche job in 2016 (which went to Jared Bednar) and the Anaheim Ducks' head-coaching vacancy in 2019 (Dallas Eakins).

Trotz has said Lambert is "long overdue" for a NHL head-coaching role."

• Cheers 1