The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guy Boucher is still available

Rate this topic

HighOnHockey

Just now, King Heffy said:

Taking out the 93 Penguins en route to a conference final was pretty impressive with what he had to work with.

not especially, he was kept around because he was Al Arbour and they gave himthe courtesy of staying until he was done, but it was well known he was well past his best before date as a coach.

Just now, stawns said:

not especially, he was kept around because he was Al Arbour and they gave himthe courtesy of staying until he was done, but it was well known he was well past his best before date as a coach.

Look at the two rosters and keep in mind Turgeon was injured.  We'll agree to disagree, but that series is one of the biggest upsets of my lifetime.  It's hard for me to give zero credit to the coach there.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Look at the two rosters and keep in mind Turgeon was injured.  We'll agree to disagree, but that series is one of the biggest upsets of my lifetime.  It's hard for me to give zero credit to the coach there.

so he gets the advantage if using injuries as an excuse.  Anyone who watched hockey back then knows Arbour went at least 8 years too long........and he's one of my favourite all time coaches.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Taking out the 93 Penguins en route to a conference final was pretty impressive with what he had to work with.

I'm just scared of his bad-ass scar on his face.:ph34r:

From the film "The Magnificant Seven":

Valgame Dios:   "There's one  (Guy Boucher)! Look at all the scars on his face"

Unknown friend of Dios:  "The man for us is the one who gave him that face."

(I couldn't find the exact video clip of that exchange but here's the trailer for the movie lol):

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

so he gets the advantage if using injuries as an excuse.  Anyone who watched hockey back then knows Arbour went at least 8 years too long........and he's one of my favourite all time coaches.

That team even with Turgeon was vastly inferior to that Pens team that had just followed up back to back cups with another  dominant regular season.  Leading up to that I would be inclined to agree.

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

again, I'm not against moving on from Green,but he was brought into to coach a rebuilding team........tough to hold his record against him in that context.  If 23 members of your team getting covid isn't reason for your season falling off a cliff, I don't know what is. Until that point they were playing pretty well.  Until last year (which is a mean nothing year) every season had been an improvement from the year before.......isn't that what we should expect from a rebuilding team?

It is what should be expected of a team that brings in an NHL ready star rookie every year during that time frame, every one of which has failed to take any significant strides in their game since their rookie seasons for whatever reason. Since we're talking about keeping things in the proper context, let's also not forget that the bubble team was falling apart just prior to the rest of that season being cancelled and likely would have missed the playoffs had it played out as usual. 

What really irks me (and a lot of other people) is that the team just isn't passing the eye test. There's been a lot of discussion surrounding Green's system, with you arguing that it isn't the system, but the execution that's failing. Even if we were to assume that you're correct, is it not Green's responsibility to ensure that the players execute his system adequately? And if he just doesn't have the roster to do so, is it not his responsibility to adjust to a system that the players at his disposal are capable of executing? If the issue is a locker room cancer, is it not Green's responsibility to communicate to management that someone on the roster is a cancer and needs to be removed?

However way you want to slice it, Green is failing at his job, which this year is to get the team into the playoffs. And considering that Green has only managed to get this team into the playoffs once before (on a technicality no less) ,there's no reason to believe that he can turn things around.

But hey, if we hold onto Green for the year and manage to make the playoffs, I'll buy you a beer.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It is what should be expected of a team that brings in an NHL ready star rookie every year during that time frame, every one of which has failed to take any significant strides in their game since their rookie seasons for whatever reason. Since we're talking about keeping things in the proper context, let's also not forget that the bubble team was falling apart just prior to the rest of that season being cancelled and likely would have missed the playoffs had it played out as usual. 

What really irks me (and a lot of other people) is that the team just isn't passing the eye test. There's been a lot of discussion surrounding Green's system, with you arguing that it isn't the system, but the execution that's failing. Even if we were to assume that you're correct, is it not Green's responsibility to ensure that the players execute his system adequately? And if he just doesn't have the roster to do so, is it not his responsibility to adjust to a system that the players at his disposal are capable of executing? If the issue is a locker room cancer, is it not Green's responsibility to communicate to management that someone on the roster is a cancer and needs to be removed?

However way you want to slice it, Green is failing at his job, which this year is to get the team into the playoffs. And considering that Green has only managed to get this team into the playoffs once before (on a technicality no less) ,there's no reason to believe that he can turn things around.

But hey, if we hold onto Green for the year and manage to make the playoffs, I'll buy you a beer.

To me, it's execution because they do get the puck enough for the system to be effective.  It's the panic, poor passes, bobbles and bringing it back into the zone that causes the bulk of the issues in their own end.  That's execution, not systemic

• Cheers 1

On 11/2/2021 at 2:00 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Greens' overall record speaks for itself and with a different roster the team is still suffering from very FAMILIAR issues.

Imo, let Green continue with his coaching style & deployment cause in the end there is no fluff that will defend his overall record & yearly accomplishments.  Ofcourse, just like the Gillis (die hard) supporters there will always be fans that will support him no matter what - perhaps they know him personally ?  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He's still available. This team needs to trap !  Thats what AV did when offense dried up.

Team needs to go back and build a heavy fast team like they started 2019 with.  Benning chose wrong when he thought we could be a fast, small team that could outskill the opposition.  Peteys forgot how to skate and Boeser is one of slowest players in thd league.  We dont have the players for that style.