The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Powerplay: Boeser on RW, Pettersson on LW

Rate this topic

Hectic

I know there's been tons of talk about the Canucks PP, and how there's a serious issue right now with who should be on the 1st/2nd unit, how we should have some additional plays in our arsenal than the same triangle play between Pettersson Hughes and Miller, etc etc. I've been thinking about this since last season, and now that I've found the video footage of what I'm referring to, perhaps others can agree that this would be an excellent look for our 1st PP unit. 

In the embedded video, there are a few power play goals shown, but I want to specifically highlight how Boeser is playing on the RW, and Pettersson on the LW. I'm not a Leafs fan, but in tonight's game vs Vegas Nylander was on the RW, Matthews on the LW, and there was a sweet play where Willie fed it straight across to Matthews and he buried.

A similar play happened in this game a couple years ago (almost exactly to the day) vs LA at around 3:50, where Boeser whipped a pass across to Pettersson and he buried one of his patented shots under the bar. I find it such a threat to have two heavy shooters on their forehands, where the goalie needs to commit to the shot and the shooter can rip a pass across to the other player's forehand.. would be perfect to switch this up on PP1. Having Boeser on the RW also led to another PP goal at around 3:20.. this was a pretty sweet game in regards to the PP, and although teams will likely have scouted this 1st unit of Boeser/Hughes/Miller/Pettersson/Horvat, I still think it should be our first unit given the history they've had as a group in the past, particularly with this set up. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hectic said:

I know there's been tons of talk about the Canucks PP, and how there's a serious issue right now with who should be on the 1st/2nd unit, how we should have some additional plays in our arsenal than the same triangle play between Pettersson Hughes and Miller, etc etc. I've been thinking about this since last season, and now that I've found the video footage of what I'm referring to, perhaps others can agree that this would be an excellent look for our 1st PP unit. 

In the embedded video, there are a few power play goals shown, but I want to specifically highlight how Boeser is playing on the RW, and Pettersson on the LW. I'm not a Leafs fan, but in tonight's game vs Vegas Nylander was on the RW, Matthews on the LW, and there was a sweet play where Willie fed it straight across to Matthews and he buried.

A similar play happened in this game a couple years ago (almost exactly to the day) vs LA at around 3:50, where Boeser whipped a pass across to Pettersson and he buried one of his patented shots under the bar. I find it such a threat to have two heavy shooters on their forehands, where the goalie needs to commit to the shot and the shooter can rip a pass across to the other player's forehand.. would be perfect to switch this up on PP1. Having Boeser on the RW also led to another PP goal at around 3:20.. this was a pretty sweet game in regards to the PP, and although teams will likely have scouted this 1st unit of Boeser/Hughes/Miller/Pettersson/Horvat, I still think it should be our first unit given the history they've had as a group in the past, particularly with this set up. 

Thoughts? 

Most teams have better Lhd than RHd so it’s better to have Petey on left and let Miller crash on right. 
Get Petey tied up with the best isn’t very smart as long as he’s small.

So we think similar.

27 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Youve been thinking about this since last year and you havent realized the issue with that unit is that Petey Hughes Boeser unnecessarily over pass the puck to one another?   They are using the pp to pad eachothers stats and its been backfiring for over a year now.

if they "pad each others stats" that means they scored on the play, which is fine by me.

right now we over pass the puck, and the only thing we "pad" is the %pass. 

i would like to see that :

PP1                                               PP2 
              Miller                                        Podkolzin

Boeser Horvat Pettersson       Garland  Pearson  Hoglander

Hughes                                        OEL

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

if they "pad each others stats" that means they scored on the play, which is fine by me.

I'd love it too if we had a six man unit lol..  Just kidding.   Based on recent events i've been asking that they play the second unit at least even, give the first unit the first penalty, the second unit the second sort of thing - to see what shakes out.   If the first unit KNOWs they won't be getting the majority of the time maybe a sense of urgency will come into it ... OR we put Garland on the first unit and take someone out.    To me at this point, he's starting to look a lot like Martin St. Louis, Theo Fluery, Cliff Ronning good.   Give him a chance, he's killing it 5 x 5... seems to have found his junior level scoring ability.    Reward the guy.   Podz too on the second unit anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Wow, we outshot LA 49-25? 

But yeah, we tried that configuration and the other teams figured out how to stop it. That's why we have the current set up, which was working for a bit but now the other teams know how to stop that too.

One thing I like about the previous formation is that Miller can be net front presence. Once he has the body position, it's hard to move the guy.

I think it's worth going back to it. There are literally millions of possible things they can try with the PP given the personnel.

Horvat/Miller

Boeser   Garland     EP

Hughes/OEL

The puck controlled on the right side, like in the old Sedin days between OEL/Hughes-EP-Miller/Horvat (instead of Daniel-Henrik-Salo/Ehrhoff).

Attacking options:

1. Set Boeser up for one timer. 

2. Garland for a shot in the slot. Because Garland is a RHS, Horvat/Miller can leave the crease area to relay the pass for a shot easily.

3. EP wrist shot or they set EP up for one timer. 

4. EP to Garland for a shot or slap pass.

5. Garland drops low below Boeser to receive pass, EP sneaks into the slot, Boeser to Garland to EP.

6. Similar as 5 but Horvat pulls out for a shot from the slot instead of EP. 

7. OEL/Hughes shot from the point.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'd love it too if we had a six man unit lol..  Just kidding.   Based on recent events i've been asking that they play the second unit at least even, give the first unit the first penalty, the second unit the second sort of thing - to see what shakes out.   If the first unit KNOWs they won't be getting the majority of the time maybe a sense of urgency will come into it ... OR we put Garland on the first unit and take someone out.    To me at this point, he's starting to look a lot like Martin St. Louis, Theo Fluery, Cliff Ronning good.   Give him a chance, he's killing it 5 x 5... seems to have found his junior level scoring ability.    Reward the guy.   Podz too on the second unit anyways. 

Podz is going to be a great net front presence. I think he has knack for getting rebounds and crashing the net.

Hog and Podz should be on the 2nd PP together.

Agree with Garland on #1PP. He's the team's leading scorer and I think he has a great shot at leading at the end of the season. He's so dynamic and will make the PP unpredictable.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Horvat                                        Podkolzin

Boeser Garland Pettersson       Miller   Pearson  Hoglander

I'd try Garland on #1PP. I actually thought #2PP looked better than #1PP last night because of Garland.

If #1PP is going to get majority of the minutes, Garland should be on #1PP.

Miller can run PP2 with OEL.

4 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Move OEL and Garland to PP1, while Hughes and Boeser move to PP2.

I don't think there's any real problem with how we are lining up on the PP, I think the biggest issue that I see, is a complete lack of urgency.

They spend too much time trying to make the perfect play for a one timer, instead of just doing the unexpected and throwing the puck at the net with guys in front. If the goalie can't see it, even if it hits him, there's likely going to be a rebound, and we have NO net presence to pickup those rebounds, they are getting picked up by the other team and down the ice.

2 hours ago, khay said:

Wow, we outshot LA 49-25? 

But yeah, we tried that configuration and the other teams figured out how to stop it. That's why we have the current set up, which was working for a bit but now the other teams know how to stop that too.

One thing I like about the previous formation is that Miller can be net front presence. Once he has the body position, it's hard to move the guy.

I think it's worth going back to it. There are literally millions of possible things they can try with the PP given the personnel.

Horvat/Miller

Boeser   Garland     EP

Hughes/OEL

The puck controlled on the right side, like in the old Sedin days between OEL/Hughes-EP-Miller/Horvat (instead of Daniel-Henrik-Salo/Ehrhoff).

Attacking options:

1. Set Boeser up for one timer. 

2. Garland for a shot in the slot. Because Garland is a RHS, Horvat/Miller can leave the crease area to relay the pass for a shot easily.

3. EP wrist shot or they set EP up for one timer. 

4. EP to Garland for a shot or slap pass.

5. Garland drops low below Boeser to receive pass, EP sneaks into the slot, Boeser to Garland to EP.

6. Similar as 5 but Horvat pulls out for a shot from the slot instead of EP. 

7. OEL/Hughes shot from the point.

Did we really try that configuration much though? I barely remember seeing Boeser on the RW and Pettersson on the LW, and I'd like to think I watch a majority of the games. Even the highlights of the games before and after the LA one, you can see Pettersson scoring on that one timer from the RW side so it would definitely be worth at least trying to switch back to that for a few PP's 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hectic said:

Did we really try that configuration much though? I barely remember seeing Boeser on the RW and Pettersson on the LW, and I'd like to think I watch a majority of the games. Even the highlights of the games before and after the LA one, you can see Pettersson scoring on that one timer from the RW side so it would definitely be worth at least trying to switch back to that for a few PP's 

It was tried out quite a bit I think especially before Miller arrived and even after Miller arrived, it was tried. Maybe they switched to the current configuration in the middle of Miller's first season here.

I'm all for going back to it but I'd like to see them fit Garland onto #1PP. He deserves more PP time. 

#1PP

Miller

Boeser Garland EP

Hughes

#2 PP

Podz    Horvat  Hoglander

OEL     Myers