The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the division lost already?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

I know it’s still early but looking at the oilers record 8-1-0 and the fact they still have a game in hand. Is the division lost? Calgary has a good record too. I just don’t see Edmonton going on a long losing streak. I am happy they got their first home ice win but the pp is still really bad and the pk is still really bad. Looking at it realistically there is no way we make the playoffs with special teams that bad. This coming off a season where they admitted it was bad and needed improvement and it’s actually worse this year. I don’t know but stats don’t lie when your at the bottom of a lot of categories. Are playoffs a realistic thing for this group? 

3 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Do you mean mathematically? Um no

I just mean has people’s expectations changed seeing how bad our special teams are? Should we expect playoffs seeing how much work our special teams need? I really want them to do well and have success but there has been nothing in their pp or pk that gives me confidence. With regards to the division it just seems like a big hill to climb out of to get on top. Should we expect to not challenge for the division? What are peoples expectations? Are playoffs good enough?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

It is worrisome.  It was more of the same last game with sleepy two periods, goaltending saving our bacon and then scraping by with a one goal victory.

We don't even know what powerplay unit to use let alone being able to work on making it better.  Ffs

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I just mean has people’s expectations changed seeing how bad our special teams are? Should we expect playoffs seeing how much work our special teams need? I really want them to do well and have success but there has been nothing in their pp or pk that gives me confidence. With regards to the division it just seems like a big hill to climb out of to get on top. Should we expect to not challenge for the division? What are peoples expectations? Are playoffs good enough?

We were never expected to challenge for the division.  We're not contenders yet.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

We were never expected to challenge for the division.  We're not contenders yet.  

Ya but that in itself is a problem isn’t it? What are we 8 years in. By the time we will be contenders it might be ten or 11 years of the Benning era. That’s insane if you ask me. Seems like we are the only team to hold onto an average gm like he has won three cups. I guess I am just a bit frustrated where we are at as an organization. It is what it is, I probably just expect more by now from this organization. It’s more the time it has taken to get competitive that has bothered me. Taken way too long. We’re not really there yet either.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Haha 1

Edmonton's playing over their head.  Their defence is still awful and Koskinen is getting lucky  Once McDiver and Divesite cool off a bit, they'll hit a bit of a skid.  Calgary is playing well now, but how will they manage when they hit a losing streak without a captain?  They have guys like Tkachuk and Lucic who both have severe character issues.  They'll implode eventually unless they make a trade to get a couple of top 6 forwards who aren't gutless cowards.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

The Canucks are a work in progress.  I expected a slow start and I see no reason why they won't play much better towards the end of the season.

I never expected to win the division but I still think that they have a shot at the top 3 in their division.  They won't likely catch Edmonton.  They look better than I expected.  Calgary I would consider to be at a similar level.  I don't expect San Jose or Anaheim to remain ahead of the Canucks and there's no telling how Vegas will end up.

This is a season for growth.  

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks are a work in progress.  I expected a slow start and I see no reason why they won't play much better towards the end of the season.

I never expected to win the division but I still think that they have a shot at the top 3 in their division.  They won't likely catch Edmonton.  They look better than I expected.  Calgary I would consider to be at a similar level.  I don't expect San Jose or Anaheim to remain ahead of the Canucks and there's no telling how Vegas will end up.

This is a season for growth.  

Ya like I said it’s the length of time that has bothered me but maybe I just need to lower my expectations with this group.

9 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but that in itself is a problem isn’t it? What are we 8 years in. By the time we will be contenders it might be ten or 11 years of the Benning era. That’s insane if you ask me. Seems like we are the only team to hold onto an average gm like he has won three cups. I guess I am just a bit frustrated where we are at as an organization. It is what it is, I probably just expect more by now from this organization. It’s more the time it has taken to get competitive that has bothered me. Taken way too long. We’re not really there yet either.

You need to take steps to become a contender, you just don't become a bottom team, then a contender the next year.  Gotta consistently make the playoff first and improve from there.  It's only been 3 years with this core.

21 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I like this post, it brings your trolling out into the light

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya like I said it’s the length of time that has bothered me but maybe I just need to lower my expectations with this group.

It has been 7 years since Benning was made GM but the first 3 seasons were spent trying to support the Sedins and a few others.  

They were drafting high before 2017 but that's when the rebuild began in earnest.  Bennings tenure has had several different plans which is a path for futility imo.  I really hope that ownership can at least let him carry out the present plan for this season and the next without getting involved.   

32 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You need to take steps to become a contender, you just don't become a bottom team, then a contender the next year.  Gotta consistently make the playoff first and improve from there.  It's only been 3 years with this core.

Sure, but shouldn't the first steps be not being a bottom team? Is that also an unrealistic goal? How long does that take?

5 minutes ago, Got the Babych said:

Sure, but shouldn't the first steps be not being a bottom team? Is that also an unrealistic goal? How long does that take?

Other than an anomaly of a season last year, with this core, they haven't really been a bottom team.  So .... realistically, they're a team that will be fighting for a playoff spot this season.