The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the division lost already?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

On 11/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I know it’s still early but looking at the oilers record 8-1-0 and the fact they still have a game in hand. Is the division lost? Calgary has a good record too. I just don’t see Edmonton going on a long losing streak. I am happy they got their first home ice win but the pp is still really bad and the pk is still really bad. Looking at it realistically there is no way we make the playoffs with special teams that bad. This coming off a season where they admitted it was bad and needed improvement and it’s actually worse this year. I don’t know but stats don’t lie when your at the bottom of a lot of categories. Are playoffs a realistic thing for this group? 

"Looking at it realistically" they had no chance of winning the division this year.

They aren't a top of the division team and they are in the worst division.

Unless we can get going really soon and get on a winning streak, and make up ground. I don't think winning the division has any real chance this year. Maybe next season. But I think with the way they've started, and how Edmonton and Calgary have been playing. Combined with the way we've been playing, I just don't see a realistic way of us catching up that much ground on the teams ahead of us. 

On 11/4/2021 at 5:50 AM, Drakrami said:

At this point i'm happy if we make the playoffs. But no - let's ask about our chances of winning the President's trophy. 

Playoffs?? 

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

I'll be happy if we could put together a winning streak of more than 1 game. 

49 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Unless we can get going really soon and get on a winning streak, and make up ground. I don't think winning the division has any real chance this year. Maybe next season. But I think with the way they've started, and how Edmonton and Calgary have been playing. Combined with the way we've been playing, I just don't see a realistic way of us catching up that much ground on the teams ahead of us. 

Winning the division was likely setting the bar a tad high considering half the team was replaced. I was guardedly optimistic for top three in the division and with the massive turnover expected a slow start. We're 4 points out of 3rd, and a wild card spot, with 71 games remaining. Top three and the playoffs certainly isn't out of the question. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why is it always "Maybe next season"  with the canucks under Uncle jim & green?

Ship sinking in the ocean, wow GIFs - Gifvif

Edited by RU SERIOUS

Realistically I don't see us winning it. The Oilers are poised to run away with it to be honest, I think Calgary will hit a speed bump and slow down, and you know Vegas is going to start playing well sooner rather than later (and get Eichel back for the playoffs of course), but that really does leave that 3rd spot up for grabs. Right now it's looking like Edmonton - Vegas - Calgary to end the season but I think any team could challenge for that 3rd spot except for Seattle really. The California teams are going to all slow down as well as they play better opposition and have to travel more as well.

Is there a chance for the Canucks? Sure, but it's getting smaller by the day as we keep dropping points at home. Sadly we fit in with the rest of the dreadfully average Californian teams if not worse right now.

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

A losing mentality. 

Quite the opposite but after watching the exact same output after years under Uncle jim and green, most normal people can see the game plan is failing and this canucks mgmt group needs to be called out, especially while we still have a chance to get back in the swing of things - if most of the coaching staff is replaced immediately.

Looking at the stats and where we sit in every category (at - or near - the bottom) says it all after bringing in 11 new players.  That's half the team changed over this year and many last year and we're still seeing the same feeble results.   So a blind man could tell you that the problem resides with the Coaching staff. 

So someone in Canucks mgmt needs to pull their pants up and take charge of this situation and call a spade - a spade and Execute the changes that must be made now.   Otherwise, in 6 months we'll be right back where we were last april and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that.........

20 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Quite the opposite but after watching the exact same output after years under Uncle jim and green, most normal people can see the game plan is failing and this canucks mgmt group needs to be called out, especially while we still have a chance to get back in the swing of things - if most of the coaching staff is replaced immediately.

Looking at the stats and where we sit in every category (at - or near - the bottom) says it all after bringing in 11 new players.  That's half the team changed over this year and many last year and we're still seeing the same feeble results.   So a blind man could tell you that the problem resides with the Coaching staff. 

So someone in Canucks mgmt needs to pull their pants up and take charge of this situation and call a spade - a spade and Execute the changes that must be made now.   Otherwise, in 6 months we'll be right back where we were last april and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that.........

I am just more frustrated in the fact we continue to have holes in the lineup that should have been filled by now. We haven’t had a power forward since Bertuzzi. The defense has always been bad since Benning has been here. Our penalty kill has gotten really bad with no help on the horizon. The depth is still bad and yet people say Benning has done an excellent job. If we had the depth that people proclaim they could call up players and have them kill a stupid penalty but we don’t so. So many holes to fix.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1