The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Eichel and 2023 3rd to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, 2022 1st, and 2023 2nd

qwijibo

16 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

So the timeline for a non pro hockey player or rugby players offers no timeline for a pro hockey player???? There is a timeline or they wouldn't have provided one.

He's expected to be good in 3 to 5 months. It's not for sure. There's a chance he never plays again. 

Which rugby player are you talking about? I don't watch rugby. I'd like to read about his recovery. 

The very reason Buffalo refused to let Eichel have this surgery is because of the risk involved. Eichel could never play again. There is no firm timeline. It's wait and see how he progresses.  

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

So the timeline for a non pro hockey player or rugby players offers no timeline for a pro hockey player???? There is a timeline or they wouldn't have provided one.

According to some it doesn't even offer confirmation that this method of treatment is viable for a hockey player.

2 hours ago, Tower102 said:

Even if all things are equal with the injury itself, which let's assume it was a full replacement of one of the cervical vertebrae (I'm not sure which one but I would guess C4 or 5) the recovery from this surgery seems to vary wildly.  3-6 months is a huge spread, while I have seen some reports saying a year or 2 isn't crazy. It's fortunate that he is young and able, but we also aren't privy to knowledge about how badly surrounding vertebra or other tissues were damaged.

Personally, I haven't worked with this exact surgery. But I have worked with many herniations and other disk issues. Recovery goes very smoothly for some, and can be extremely rough for others. In my experience hockey players are also often difficult cases due to the strain on the body. This surgery seems to be common in contact sports like football, rugby, and MMA, but has never been done with hockey. Those first sports are much more similar to what the human body is anatomically designed to do. Hockey is an extremely tough sport on the body due to the way players impact each other, the position of the body during intense activity, and the unilateral torque placed on the body through much of the sport being played. It's pretty common for injuries to take longer to heal with hockey players because of this factors.

Again, not an expert on this exact surgery since it's pretty new (I think it started showing up in the early 2000s) and isn't seen all that much yet. Honestly, and this is just my opinion, I don't think it will become wide spread. My guess is this is a temporary surgery and we will come up with a better method in 10-20 years. I read up on this surgery when I heard about Jack getting it original, and something just didn't sit right with me.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 4:52 AM, qwijibo said:

Cap friendly believes Vegas has put Stone on LTIR to make the deal work for the time being 

What a joke of a league, people figured in November they would do this and they do and yet we still pay penalty for Luongo because 4 yrs after it was signed legal the NHL decided to say it wasn't done in "good faith" of the CBA (but it was still legal) 

These teams circumventing cap space to bring them back in playoffs ,is obviously unfair ESPECIALLY since these teams ALREADY have a HUGE tax break to pay players less to live there- Thanks NHL and Bettman for running a corrupt league, where every team won't have a chance to win

• Cheers 1

On 2/11/2022 at 11:58 PM, coryberg said:

Amazingly Mark stone is going on the LTIR so they don't need to make moves.... fear not, I'm sure he will be back for round 1 when the cap doesn't matter.

I don't know why I bother to keep watching this league... it's so corrupt when something like this is so blatant and obvious, but they let it go anyways.  I wonder how many Cups Canadian teams would have now if Bettman wasn't running the show.

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What a joke of a league, people figured in November they would do this and they do and yet we still pay penalty for Luongo because 4 yrs after it was signed legal the NHL decided to say it wasn't done in "good faith" of the CBA (but it was still legal) 

These teams circumventing cap space to bring them back in playoffs ,is obviously unfair ESPECIALLY since these teams ALREADY have a HUGE tax break to pay players less to live there- Thanks NHL and Bettman for running a corrupt league, where every team won't have a chance to win

To be fair, stone has been in and out of the lineup all season with back issues.  It’s not like they put some scrub on LTIR 

Just now, qwijibo said:

To be fair, stone has been in and out of the lineup all season with back issues.  It’s not like they put some scrub on LTIR 

Yea but they can cruise to the playoffs without him.

Back injuries are so hard to diagnose, he could easily be playing it up.

If the timing of this doesn’t stink to you I have some magic beans to sell you…

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but they can cruise to the playoffs without him.

Back injuries are so hard to diagnose, he could easily be playing it up.

If the timing of this doesn’t stink to you I have some magic beans to sell you…

You are very right about back injuries, but it smells something fierce. This is on the NHL for allowing it to happen time after time. What's the point of a salary cap if you just let the big dogs work around it?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

You are very right about back injuries, but it smells something fierce. This is on the NHL for allowing it to happen time after time. What's the point of a salary cap if you just let the big dogs work around it?

They can’t do anything or it would be obvious they were giving special treatment to Tampa.

Guarantee if the next team to do it is a Canadian franchise they’ll close the loophole.

Teams need to prove that a player will be out till playoffs or they shouldn’t be able to add cap like this. You can’t just keep a guy out and rest him up till playoffs. There has to be a legit timeline from a doctor, and not a made up one.

• Upvote 1

Mark Stone is quite literally putting a target on his own back if he does miss the rest of the regular season but make a miraculous comeback for round 1 game 1.
Just like how kids’ jerseys have STOP on them, Mark may as well have the word GO written on his. 

Imagine being ok with this as a hockey fan and calling it “a part of the game”

And no Stone played in the all star game and on Monday so he all of a sudden isn’t ok because Jack is ready to go. Like others have said it’s a loophole that if done by a Canadian team it will be shut down as soon as they try it. Might be technically legal in the CBA but we all see (and the NHL) what’s going on. Just because Chicago,Tampa and now Vegas have done it does not make it “a part of the game” such a trash take.

• Cheers 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, BPA said:

It’s from the Tampa Bay playbook 

lol it's not like the chicago blackhawks didn't do it first during 2015 when kane fractured his collarbone and the blackhawks went and loaded up on 6-7mil worth of players at the tdl... kane was "suppose to be back for the western conference final" if they make it.. he magically was ready by game 1. 

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol it's not like the chicago blackhawks didn't do it first during 2015 when kane fractured his collarbone and the blackhawks went and loaded up on 6-7mil worth of players at the tdl... kane was "suppose to be back for the western conference final" if they make it.. he magically was ready by game 1. 

You doubt the integrity of the Chicago Blackhawks organization? :bigblush: