The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Eichel and 2023 3rd to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, 2022 1st, and 2023 2nd

qwijibo

1 hour ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Very nice to see vegas mortgaging their future to get, what very well could be, a Jack Eichel that “had a good career and put up some 40 pt seasons, but was never really the same after the surgery....”

Eichel is 25.  He’s an elite number 1 centre.  Vegas adds that to their club without giving up anything from their roster.  This is, sadly, a very good trade for Vegas.  It’s also good for Buffalo.  Eichel was not playing there again.  So they get a decent bottom six guy in Tuch.  A hopeful NHLer in Krebs (I’m not a fan of him, but he could be a player) and a late first.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

He's a better fit with Vegas. Their only handicap was their top line center, now it's their depth and their goaltending. 

Hes not the type of top centre that wins you a championship.  Also, hes not going to be the same player whether he gets surgery or not.  Vegas sh!t the bed here.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes not the type of top centre that wins you a championship.  Also, hes not going to be the same player whether he gets surgery or not.  Vegas sh!t the bed here.

Eichel is getting his surgery in a few days.  I’m curious to see how well the disc replacement works out for him.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think this is a terrible deal for buffalo, I think this weakens Vegas immensely.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think this is a terrible deal for buffalo, I think this weakens Vegas immensely.  

its risky. Their old man ownership wanting this pretty badly likely had a lot to do with it.

There's going to be quite the cap dance coming up. I'm curious to see what Gary lets them get away with, because they are so far over the cap if everyone was healthy this is going to be something the other teams are going to want answers on.

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 3

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Eichel is getting his surgery in a few days.  I’m curious to see how well the disc replacement works out for him.  

hopefully well, I'd hate to see a guy have some kind of lifetime issue out of this. I hope he plays badly, just while healthy.

Vegas' biggest weakness was the lack of a #1 C, so I don't like that they finally got one.

If everyone is healthy for the playoffs, they're easily the front runners for the cup. They were already contenders in previous years, and now they've essentially swapped Tuch for Eichel.

Pacioretty - Eichel - Stone

Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith

Kolesar - Stephenson - Dadonov

That's a strong top 9 sadly.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its risky. Their old man ownership wanting this pretty badly likely had a lot to do with it.

There's going to be quite the cap dance coming up. I'm curious to see what Gary lets them get away with, because they are so far over the cap if everyone was healthy this is going to be something the other teams are going to want answers on.

It's Vegas. I'm sure Gary will help them cook up some excuse to keep under the cap. 

So this makes me wonder.

- Did the teams know Buffalo was over a barrel, and all the offers were just low bids? 

- Was Vegas the only team offering a first rounder?

- This is Vegas after all, I guess they love gambling that this will work out in their favour.

Maybe Buffalo is hoping this screws up Vegas' season and they get a top 16 pick out of it. But that's a big and unlikely gamble too. 

Maybe this was the hockey gods getting back at Buffalo and Vegas, and is a way of saying sorry Vancouver, without saying sorry? :lol:

• Haha 1

At the end of the day Buffalo had to get what they could get. Now it's over, they can wash their hands of it and move on with a shiny new prospect, a good top 6 player and a 1st rd pick. It's not ideal, but it was never going to be ideal for them. 

Now the only question is what will Eichel be when he gets back.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

if Tkachuk + a 1st + a former 1st rounder were offered up vs. this, what you do take? Kind of surprised they wouldn't go with Tkachuk, unless the deal was pulled off the table.

I wonder how Tkachuk moves forward knowing he was offered up for Eichel. Dude has a huge ego and I imagine it's bruised.

I don't think Calgary were ever in this, I think Buffalo was pushing information out to maximize return with the only team willing to do a trade.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't see it that way.  I see that they've put themselves into a serious cap situation that is going to gut other parts of their team.  They're also taking a huge risk on a guy who's had serious back issues

It is risky, but one that could pay huge dividends if Eichel can get back to 100%. Of course if Eichel doesn't, then they just bought themselves an anchor.

They can likely juggle players on IR for the rest of the regular season, keeping everyone intact. Worst case they trade Dadonov and/or Smith for cheaper replacements. Would hurt their depth but I don't think it would be enough to sink them.

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Vegas' biggest weakness was the lack of a #1 C, so I don't like that they finally got one.

If everyone is healthy for the playoffs, they're easily the front runners for the cup. They were already contenders in previous years, and now they've essentially swapped Tuch for Eichel.

Pacioretty - Eichel - Stone

Marchessault - Karlsson - Smith

Kolesar - Stephenson - Dadonov

That's a strong top 9 sadly.

Almost as strong as our bottom 1. 

(Demko)

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

That rumoured flames package seemed way better!

I don't think Calgary did more than kick the tires, Buffalo just wanted Vegas to think that they were in it. I'm positive that the idea that another team was trying to acquire Eichel was just disinformation from Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's Vegas. I'm sure Gary will help them cook up some excuse to keep under the cap. 

So this makes me wonder.

- Did the teams know Buffalo was over a barrel, and all the offers were just low bids? 

- Was Vegas the only team offering a first rounder?

- This is Vegas after all, I guess they love gambling that this will work out in their favour.

Maybe Buffalo is hoping this screws up Vegas' season and they get a top 16 pick out of it. But that's a big and unlikely gamble too. 

Maybe this was the hockey gods getting back at Buffalo and Vegas, and is a way of saying sorry Vancouver, without saying sorry? :lol:

the price is pretty interesting. Many teams could have matched, including us. Petey and a 1st is a much better return, e.g. Tkachuk and a 1st, etc etc.

I'm sure Gary will help them this year, but Vegas has to move an important player, probably two, this off season and their key players outside of Jack are not aging like wine.

You're right tho, this is a big gamble and I guess its the town to do it in.

• Cheers 1

This doesn’t actually seem like a lot for Eichel.

Tuch is a fine player, Krebs is a solid but not elite prospect.  A top ten protected 1st… half the guys later in the 1st round never amount to anything at all.

On the other side, Vegas is going to have to destroy their team in other trades to make this work.

I don’t think I have ever seen a trade where it looks like both teams involved are going to come out worse.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3

Tuch is out of our conference so that’s a good thing. He’s a beast in the playoffs. Buf was already a much harder working team this year without Eichel, so this should make them better.

As for Vegas, if Eichel returns to form, it is hard to imagine them not winning a cup with this group. Though Tuch is a big loss for their playoff drive.

If I was Buf, I would of tried to get a player like Hague thrown in.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1