The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Islanders trade Johnny Boychuk to Sabres for future considerations

Last year of his deal - 6M cap hit.  Allows Buffalo to not worry about the floor and NYI to get out of LTIR.  

NYI has over 2.2M of unused cap space per CapFriendly.  In LTIR that cap space was lost.  Now they can bank it for future use.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Interesting that NYI gets help from Buffalo for no reason at all.

And then Lou is gonna get credit for being an amazing GM, even though he coughed up a number of picks to get rid of a horrible contract in Ladd.

Wish we received this kind of 'benefit'

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Why does Buffalo have to worry about cap floor this season? They are above the cap floor before and after the eichel trade? And once Tuch is off ltir they'll be closer to 10% above?

Tuch isn't on LTIR.  Buffalo doesn't need to use LTIR as they are well below the salary cap.

They are right at the floor limit but have players on IR helping them get above the floor.

Other than Tuch they also have Mittelstadt and Jokiharju on IR.  They are carrying a roster of 23 players.  Once IR players are healthy they will need to demote players to open up the roster spots and that will put them under the floor.   By adding Boychuk they don't have to worry about the floor anymore.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

For some reason, I thought he was still good. I guess that was a few years ago.

Boychuk suffered an optic nerve damage which seriously limited his peripheral vision.   He tried to continue to play, probably didn't want to admit that his career was over, and got concussed because he never saw the hit coming.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And then Lou is gonna get credit for being an amazing GM, even though he coughed up a number of picks to get rid of a horrible contract in Ladd.

Exactly. I just took a further look at this deal, & numbers on Capfriendly. This F***er is also bogus. League wants to help out LouLam & that new bldg, eh?

The NHL has completely jumped the shark. It engineers deals to favour select franchises.

..."All animals are equal..but some are more equal than others."

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Last year of his deal - 6M cap hit.  Allows Buffalo to not worry about the floor and NYI to get out of LTIR.  

NYI has over 2.2M of unused cap space per CapFriendly.  In LTIR that cap space was lost.  Now they can bank it for future use.

I don't think I can recall a trade that benefitted both sides so much, that had so much upside for both, that cost so little. 

Edited by JM_

This is shaping up to be a battle of a few juggernauts at the top.  

Islanders, Panthers, Lightning, and Hurricanes look like a class above anyone else in the East.  Now Islanders will have room to add another big time player at the deadline. 

In the West I'm really liking Colorado, Vegas, St Louis, and Edmonton.  

I hope that we make a push for the playoffs but I'm not holding my breath this year. 

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Making room for JT Miller at the trade deadline.  Noah Dobson please...

EP40 for Dobson?                                                                                                                          :bigblush:

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You get the benefit by winning. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Did Lou sign Ladd?

Edited by Chris12345